1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music Covers that beat the original.

Discussion in 'General' started by AngelOfRage, 18 Sep 2007.

1. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

Im waiting for the 50 years of Radio 1 album to be released when it is ill post some opinions espcially over whose managed to ruin who's song lol

Although thinking back The Automatics cover of Kanye West's Gold digger while not being a proper track they released was a very good take and twist on the original that at least equalled it.

2. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

These are better than the originals in my books:

Breaking Benjamin - Who Wants To Live Forever (original by Queen)
    Metallica - Whiskey in the Jar
    Maralyn Manson - Tainted Love

3. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

<head a splode>

I always thought this recording was by Clapton and this one was by Williams. I prefer the first, but now I'm not sure who either's by :confused:

4. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

TREASON

5. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I should have made myself far clearer. The 'sub-genre' of electronic music I listen to is generally things from the '60s. Lots of experimental stuff. Nothing can beat the amazing sounds those guys produced there.

6. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre <b>banned</b>

...if you say so...Personally I love the sounds in Krool. And in Icon for that matter, but ah well. C'est La Vie.

7. genesisofthesith

genesisofthesith complete spanner

Isn't 10 years a bit of a wait though :worried:

8. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

I have to disagree about Pink Floyd covers. I think Dream Theater did a good job, admittedly not as good as the original though.
    Most of mine have already been mentioned (Johnny Cash, Metallica etc)
    I prefer the In Flames cover of Land Of Confusion to the one by Disturbed.

9. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

lol I knew I'd get called out on those. Don't get me wrong I'm a big Pink Floyd fan, but I think that those covers are done pretty well.

10. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

ill admit there is some good covers of Pink Floyd but they don't compare to the orginals

11. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

dream theater did an AWESOME job of covering the dark side of the moon album in london a few years back. It was brilliant to be there and see it live!

12. Fophillips

Fophillips What's a Dremel?

None of you have any taste...

Like a Rolling Stone, Jimi Hendrix.
    There's no such thing as a “brilliant cover of the dark side of the moon”, nothing can come close to the original.

13. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

I'm quite a fan of Nouvelle Vague. They cover songs with a bossa nova/jazzy/new wave feel which makes for great relaxing tunes. If you've ever seen the Tropicana Ad or all the folks in the street picking fruits off of trees their cover of "I Just Can't Get Enough" is there, also that T-Mobile ad a while ago of a girl avoiding all the accidents has their cover of "I Melt With You". Quality stuff.

14. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Ditto about Floyd. Nothing beats the masters.

Uh...covers...hmm.... Type O Negative's cover of Black Sabbath's 'Paranoid' and their customized rendition(s) of the 'Black Sabbath' song by Black Sabbath as well. Definitely made them more depressing and darker than the originals, I think. Hell, any of the cadre of songs they've raped-- er, covered...over the years. :p

15. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

:rolleyes: at the Pink Floyd snobs.

Also, just heard the Killswitch Engage cover of Holy Diver by Dio. It's awesome!

16. E.E.L. Ambiense

:hehe: The age brackets possibly have something to do with it. They all eventually learn the beauty that is Floyd! 'Course I learned at a very early age....my pop put some Koss oldie headphones (the old all-metal ones) on my cranium with Dark Side spinning on vinyl (the original issue with the Pyramids poster) when I was 3. I'm 30 and I still listen (well, not the original vinyl) to it semi-regularly, and still find new stuff in it.

On topic, I think the acoustic cover of Radiohead's 'Lucky' covered by Warren Haynes on his 'Live at Bonnaroo' album is great also.

17. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre <b>banned</b>

18 years old. Pink floyd are the best band, in the world, ever. End of story. No-one can cover pink floyd right, because to cover it right, you have to know the music intimately. Floyds music is so amazingly layered and well produced, its almost impossible to do unless you are pink floyd.

18. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

Pitchshifter - Making Plans for Nigel (XTC cover) is one of my favorite tracks of all time

19. E.E.L. Ambiense

Cool. There ya go; exception to the statement. I meant no offense, btw, if it was misconstrued that way. I merely meant possibly age could have something to do with it! Glad to hear people are still listening to the 'old people's' music, lol!

20. E.E.L. Ambiense

Great track too!

Tags: