1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Getting games to work with Vista

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by samkiller42, 24 Jan 2007.

1. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

That's because it's designed to only play on Vista

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I think that's the joke :)

3. arenex

arenex What's a Dremel?

Hey, does anyone know how to get Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark forces 2 to work on vista? Or Jedi Knight: Misteries of the Sith (same engine, same problem)

I kinda tried the all above methods, it seems to be more of an security problem, even though i gave it full control and ran as admin.

Also to that point, My Counter Strike 1.6 is working, however, after the initial screen with 2 CT's on the background, the screen just goes black. But the game is working, even tried to create server between 2 pc's, and it worked fine, except that you cant see anything but the black screen on vista.

4. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

It's [often] very difficult getting old games like those to work... especially under Vista.
    You might get them working in Windows XP - using 'compatibility' mode... but of course that would mean dual-booting XP and Vista, before you could try :sigh:

If you have a lot of older games you still enjoy playing, it might be worth considering building another system, and picking up/running a copy of Windows 95/98 :idea:

Welcome to the forums btw :clap: :thumb:

5. GoodBytes

Hmm Strange, I got many of my old games that completely stop working since Win2k and XP. But works like a charm (well hardware acceleration on some games didn't work, so it was set to software render (ah, memories), but my AMD Athlon 64 4400+ did an excellent job, and the game felt it was going perfectly smoothly, even more smoothly then what it would go with the graphic cards released at that time [I would guess 80-100fps].)

I got Need For Speed High Stakes to work, heck even Frogger 3D!
    And lets not forget Test Drive 3 WITHOUT a DOS emulator! (actually it's unplayable, as when you press froward you die, as the car moves too fast WAY too fast.)
    Oh, same effect was with MegaRace. As the """"""3d"""""" track was actually a rendered video, and when you press forward it goes to the next frame [no reverse feature] (so yea if you see a flying car passing on the sky, and you stop the car, the flying car also stops. lol) For that last game mentioned, I had to use DOSBox, as my USB keyboard was not detected (I had to use a PS2 keyboard), game video (not the race) and sound also did not work.

Under XP the compatibility felt more like "if the game ask what OS the suer is using, Windows will answer the answer set to that application" type of system, but under Vista it really seam to do a good job. Yet, I had this Trazan game that did not work under Vista, XP, 2k (they really meant it when they say "Win98 only"). Same for WarCraft 2 original with extension pack.

So, what I was trying to say is: doesn't mean that this game doesn't work that all the older games that didn't even run under XP can't run under Vista. :)

Last edited: 21 Sep 2007
  6. Silver Shamrock

Silver Shamrock What's a Dremel?

Seeing as i have Vista now, i can start contributing to this thread:)

Condemned - works perfectly and perfromance is as good as it is on XP. Cat 7.9 installed.

7. Dvs98SK

Dvs98SK What's a Dremel?

8. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I was thinking of making a table/list with all the games that people have managed to get working on vista and putting it on the first post of this thread.

Sam

9. Dvs98SK

Dvs98SK What's a Dremel?

Well thats cool. I just thought someone might find my link useful. There is a wellspring of knowledge there by the pc community. I have added many games i got to work on Vista myself. If not i added that to and what may be wrong and what the devs said when i called about Vista support.

10. alters

alters What's a Dremel?

So does BF2 work on 32Bit

I have BF2 on my new Vista Comp i have the Home Premium 32Bit and it says i have an O/S error can anyone help me?
    Thanks email me plz
    koooooooooooooo@gmail.com (shouldb e 14 o's)

11. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

I add Guild Wars to this although you do need to run as an admin to get it to read and save templates.

12. samkiller42

Yes it does, that error comes up regardless of what vista version you have.

Sam

13. Rurouni_Kei

Rurouni_Kei What's a Dremel?

All I got to say as helpful this is I have long given up playing games on Vista. Best advice I can give you is dual boot Vista with XP. No need to play with it, more power for games, and if you have that problem of "display driver failed but recovered" malarkey you can forget about it. Unless you have an answer for that problem for laptop users I'd like to hear it but still rather stick with XP for games. Running UT3 at max settings on XP while Vista only runs it at level 3 settings.

BTW specs for my laptop are

XP Media Center Edition SP2/Vista Home Premium
    Intel Core 2 duo
    T7500 @ 2.20ghz
    2.50gb of Ram
    Nvidia GeForce 8600m GT

Last edited: 15 Dec 2007
  14. GoodBytes

That's not Vista fault, that is nVidia.
    You always need to look for the latest drivers.

15. Rurouni_Kei

Rurouni_Kei What's a Dremel?

ah but I long gave up on updating, there doesn't seem to be any support or updates for my card.

16. j4y1981

j4y1981 What's a Dremel?

hey i got redirected to this site from somewhere else and wondered if anybody had got cnc generals/zero hour working online? I can play the single player etc fine but when i go online it logs in ok but wil not join and games and claims im using a diff version. As far as im aware i dont have to update as im using the first decade and when i tried it said i couldnt anyway.

Any ideas?

-jay

17. GoodBytes

Ah you are using a EA game (oh, boy!)
    I don't have the game, but lets see what you can do:

- Go on the game web site and look for an update form there, and try it.
    - I know it might sound weired as this is not the error, but make sure that your firewall and router (if any) is properly configured. I'm saying this, in case it cannot connect to the server and thinks it is because you have a "Wrong version".
    - Run the game as Admininistartor

If all of this fails, then create a shortcut of the game main executable file, and say to Vista (right click on the shortcut> properties> compatibility) to run is as if you are under WinXP. If this still fails, then look on the game forum for any help. I'll be surprised if it's because of Vista, thus.

Here is a great useful list of software and games that work, somewhat work, or even fail to work under Vista:
    http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.php/Windows_Vista_RTM_Software_Compatibility_List

(your C&C games are under "Works")

18. thebigmix

thebigmix What's a Dremel?

Hey ive Tried all the Command and Conquer Generals Zero hour compadabilities and none of them seem to work im on 32bit OS and i am running windows vista. any other suggestions to get it to work? Problem:all it does is starts loading the curser turns into a spinning circle and just keeps trying to load and either just stop and the screen flashes white.

19. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Call of duty 2 and 4 work perfectly fine
    Joint operations works but you need to run as administrator.
    I had no problems running BF2
    all steam games run perfectly fine
    Diablo 2 works, but won't go fullscreen, only windowed mode works properly (in fullscreen it goes to the resolution and its centered but about 2 inches of black on all sides, same size if you go to windowed mode.
    Warcraft 3 worked just fine for me also.

20. samkiller42

Thats because you need the 'My Documents C&C Generals' folder from an XP system. This is because it contains the settings files that allow Generals and Zero Hour to work.
    Hope this helps in some way.

Sam

Tags: