1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows xp

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by carlrowley, 17 Sep 2007.

1. carlrowley

carlrowley carl

I have been looking at all the exe files on my computer theres hundreds of them ,i no what some of them are but all the rest , looks a load of rubbish some are in high lighted blue.
    how do i no what all of them are ,:wallbash:how can i delete the ones i dont need with out messing somthing up if i am not sure i should leave it alone, but theres hundreds of them

2. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

don't delete any unless you know exactly what they do and you know you don't need them and you really need the storage space. most of them, especially the ones highlighted in blue, are probably important operating system files. if they look like rubbish then just don't look in that folder.

3. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

It's generally best not to delete the EXEs directly. Use Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel to get rid of anything unnecessary there.

The files highlighted blue are that way because they're compressed, most probably because you did a disk cleanup and told it to compress old files.

4. carlrowley

carlrowley carl

ok, thanks for the info

5. carlrowley

carlrowley carl

"will do" thanks for the info

6. Bogie

Bogie Banned

Use a program called ccleaner. Crap Cleaner it is very good and deletes a load of crap off ur hard drive. I use it it is excellent.

7. Fophillips

Fophillips What's a Dremel?

You win the competition for the most descriptive thread title.

8. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Well-placed sarcasm, I say.
    Since there IS a thread called "Windows XP", though (however mislabelled), I hafta ask: I upgraded via dubious means not long ago, what happens to my OS if I don't validate it before the systray countdown runs out? It assures me I have 11 days left :(

9. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Halp! Someone please just tell me what happens if I don't activate, before this thread's swallowed up in the bottom-of-the-page-ness.

10. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

The infinite power of MS will cause the world will end if you dont validate it, so for god sakes make sure you do!

Seriously, if you dont validate it what will happen is that you'll be able to log on, but as soon as you do a messsage will pop up saying its not validated blah-blah. At that point you can validate it over the net but if you chose not too then it'll log you off automatically and you wont be able to use it until you do.

Tags: