1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laser Eye Surgery

Discussion in 'Serious' started by boiled_elephant, 20 Sep 2007.

1. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Likewise. I'd consider laser eye surgery (coming up to the legal age for it to be done in the UK, 21) but then, no-one's really properly studied the long term effects of it on the eye. I also wonder whether my astigmatism would be an issue post-surgery. But, for now, I'm happy with contacts that cost under a quid a day, can stay in for fourteen hours, and aren't really much work at all.

2. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Where did you hear that from? When I had mine done I asked the girl who was doing the pre-exam on me and she said that she paid about 40,000 for her training. I cant see that being done in one day.

3. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I don't think I could do it

they used to do it with a scalpel eeekkkk!!!!

4. Poisonous

Poisonous Incestuious

One of the trainee's that was in the room when my dad had his done (LASIK) said it to my da. You can pay for training, but AFAIK, it's not needed.

5. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

wow, thats scary. I wonder if thats a difference between countries. (Im assumimg you aren't in Canada)

6. Poisonous

Poisonous Incestuious

UK. As I said, can't confirm, just what my da heard from someone working there. Scary indeed.

7. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Thanks for all the feedback, t'was all useful. I dug around, prices vary between £500ish and £2k (EDIT - per eye), so it's not a light decision. Also, re:

...I remember my optometrist saying about this - your vision stops altering around the age of 20. I'm 18, so I'll certainly leave it till then in any case.

Yep, duly noted. I won't be going to no back-alley affairs.

I can see the logic. Thankfully, I have regular basement-dweller short-sightedness, so it'd be straightforward for me. (Btw, is astigmatism what bifocals, or varifocals, are for?)

Symathies - that sounds like a pretty turd situation. Can't you correct lazy eyes with patches and stuff?

Wikipedia confirms this (not very worksafe, discretion advised.)

...naturally.

That IS scary. Before any dweeb goes near my eyes with a laser, I'm gonna make damn sure I know his life story.
    And finally,

Deal. PM'd with credit card details.

8. ScottY_

ScottY_ ^My Name. What i say>>

TBH i would rather wear glasses, no matter how much of a pain they are then risk being blind if something goes wrong, i know it's good stuff and it should be for the money but i don't think i would want to risk it personally.
    Plus i hate needles and seeing them go into my eye isn't something i would want.

9. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

My wife had heres done in China last year. All went ok, she had to where goggles for a week or 2 so she wouldnt touch or rub her eyese and then used eye drops for a bout a month. Im thinking of getting mine done next year in China. Not sure yet.

10. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

Why china? is it substantially cheaper?

11. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Better surgeons in the east than in the west. The best advice for a long time for anyone wanting laser eye surgery was simply to go to eastern europe or russia to have it done, and at all costs avoid having it done in the western world.