1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nintendo employee fired for blogging

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Sep 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The blog you linked to is Jessica Carr. As is the photo.

3. CardJoe

Jessica Carr is her pseudonym...

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The blog is also titled wrong. The Daily Weed is a private space.

EDIT: From the article you linked the blog post in question is called
    the daily weed
    , not the whole blog

Last edited: 24 Sep 2007
  5. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

quite ridiculous

6. bilbothebaggins

bilbothebaggins What's a Dremel?

IF she didn't mention Nintendo she's bloody entitled to write anything she likes. That it's stupid to insult your boss in public (even if you do not state where you work or his/her name) is another matter entirely.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I do this all the time! I mean... uh...

:blush:

8. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

So Nintendo have brought the connection between this blog and themselves to light. Dumbasses.

9. ralph.pickering

ralph.pickering What's a Dremel?

Also known as the Streisand Effect...

Personally I'd always be a bit careful about what I put on email or a blog - not that my current employer is tech savvy enough to put what I write on the internet together with my real identity. Wait a minute... I've just posted about my employer under my real name. Doh! (better brush up my CV)

10. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

The only way i would say this is unacceptable is if she were divulging Nintendo trade marked secrets. And a "fat ass stupid co-worker" isnt one of those secrets. Nintendo has no right to do what they did. It isnt any of there dang business what she is saying about her co-worker, what the hell is wrong with people, stay out of everyones business and get a dang life.

Nothing makes me more irritated then when a corporation oversteps there bounds. I would almost take that line of "expressly discouraged from doing what she did" bit and call it harassment/threatening.

>:|

11. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

Hot.

Lol. :p

12. CardJoe

You really think so? Not my taste tbh...

13. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Come on, take another look man. Just because she is female, does not make her hot. :p

14. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

That comment she made of the boss was right down funny...

15. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

I am gonna start reading her blog all the time now. That comment about her boss was awesome.

16. f00dl3

f00dl3 What's a Dremel?

The thing people need to realize is that America in particular, although any democracy, is supported by companies and organizations. While I do not support what this individual did - once you take the right of free speech on this subject, the next step is to gag you of talking of your government - then talking at all.

17. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

Well the catch is, and this has always been the problem. The line between free speech, libel, and slander is pretty gray.
    If the poss she insulted was the one that read it, and she knew who wrote it and was offended. Then she does have the
    right to take legal action or (I think) fire her. While I think that it isn't right for her to be fired for writing in her free time,
    she does need to realize she did post on a public space. I had the same thing happen to me a few years back with my own
    personal website. I wrote a post up about a kid in one of my classes. (In all my maturity at the time, questioning his sexuality,
    his physical strength... meh you know what dumb ass high school freshmen are like, use your imagination.) I got 30 hours
    community service for libel/slander (I never remember which one.) *shrugs* Live, learn, get Luvs, move on. So now I just word
    my posts and such a bit more carefully. I'm all for free speech. (Like that Meyer incident? I think that's BS tazing a kid.) But
    the cold honest truth is, she put her thoughts out in public where anyone could read them. And someone did and played
    connect the dots. *shrugs*

18. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

Free Speech doesnt exist anymore, slander is a form of free speech when done with a reasonable sense. There is wrong slander (Faulk how did you word your thing exactly?) which is wrong but questioning something but just calling someone a fat jack ass loser isnt bad at all, this world cares to much about feelings. >.<

19. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

shes above average :)

i don't see how this is legal, people have always insulted their bosses to their friends, if she wants to write it down in a blog for everyone to read, fine
    Hell she didn't even mention ninty so no-one would have actually known what she was on about

20. aggies11

aggies11 What's a Dremel?

If she said these "bad" comments right to the face of her boss, directly, would that have been grounds for dismissal?

What if she said it to a coworker, about her boss? What if the boss over-heard? Does that change anything?

If you put something on the internet, that is publicly viewable, then you should expect that the entire public would read it.

Aggies

Tags: Add Tags