1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Girls play more games than boys

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 Sep 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Mine likes Spyro and Croc, that's about it (although I also love those games and they rank quite high up my list of all time favourites), although I somehow managed to get her hooked on Halo. I know one girl who has a new generation console, the others just occasionally play their siblings' PS2.

I imagine my gf would love a pink controller too, I may have to get her one.

3. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

I can think of one former Editor that has a penchant for pink. I wonder if he's tempted by the pink gamepad :D

(best steer clear of the "what's pink, contains batteries and is completely wireless" jokes :p )

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Hex's Nazbatag? :p

5. CardJoe

I actually got a phone call from Hannah a month or two ago, demanding that I get Halo 3 in to review because she saw the trailer and it looked gorgeous.

She was more than a little dissappointed when I told her we don't have a Xbox 360 at home...

6. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

About time you bought one then. Or she can, or even share! Then we can spike you in the back of the head tomorrow!

7. CardJoe

Am planning to, don't worry. It's a matter of restricted cash flow right now and my priority is to rebuild my PC first.

8. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

From the looks of my doormat, I won't be playing spiking anyone in the back of the head for a long while :( Not even bloody junk mail!

Why did you have to strike for the Halo 3 launch!:waah:

9. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

If a Microsoft representative gave my gf a pink controller saying it would encourage her to play more games she would probably tell the patronizing git where to shove it. Do MS really think all girls live in a pink bubble and coloring things pink or powder blue makes it attractive to girls?

10. xrob

xrob What's a Dremel?

wii is sooooo bad

11. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

No, but they know a lot of girls do like pink versions of stuff, like pink DSes. My gf doesn't own anything pink, but she still likes pink controllers and stuff.

12. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Is Kazuo Hirai your god perchance?

13. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

I think it's more of a case of the fact that "regular" colours attract a certain audience, say 95% male and 5% female. Add pink peripherals and you might unlock a bunch of girl gamers who weren't otherwise tempted. And you might get some repeat business from male gamers of certain persuasions. And guys who own pink Motorola Pebl phones

14. CardJoe

It's going to be a success with the kiddy girl market. My gf likes girly stuff like kittens and so on, but objects to being specifically and badly targetted and patronised via pink controllers, just like everyone else. When given the option of what DS lite to get, she chose white over pink straight away.

In fact, when I showed her the pink controller, the only reaction she gave it was a cussword and a eye-roll.

It's no different to how men are targetted in adverts sometimes. Seen that Head and Shoulders advert? "A guy like jimmy knows he has to look his best..."

I ****ing hate that advert. A guy like Jimmy is probably a poncy testosterone filled pre-pubescent trapped in the body of a full grown man who will, with any luck, catch a particularly virulent STD which will lead to a slow and humiliating death which will leave a strong enough impression on all his ******* children that they try and not turn out like "a guy like jimmy"

****ing FHM readers.

15. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

My Wife loves Mario, none of these crappy spin offs like paper mario extra. she only likes the Nes Super mario 3 and New Super Mario on DS. She also likes Guildwars on Pc. Pikmin on gamecube (until I sold it haha) Overlord on 360 and she looks interested in Oblivion at the mo and I have to get hold of a copy soon.

She cant play any first person shootors because she gets motion sickness. She liked the look of bioshock but that made her dizzy. Shame really. but she also cant hanle 3d worlds, she like most women that cant handle 3D environments as they can process the information properly. Thats a known fact.

Im trying to get her into bomberman because thats the family favourite.

Im going to get the Pink 360 pad at some point for the wife, if I can get here addicted to bomberman. I have 2 white and 1 black at the moment and a Pink will brighten things up :).

My Mum loves Saturn Bomberman and Mariokart on N64.

16. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

My GF is obsessed with 'cutesy' games like pokemon and harvest moon, her head almost popped off when I gave her animal crossing for her Bday last year, I couldn't prise her off it for about 2 months lol

My mum is probably the oldest person going that plays runescape, nuff said. :hehe: I tried to get her into WoW but she wasn't having any of it, although she does like guildwars

17. xrob

xrob What's a Dremel?

no

18. skpstr

skpstr What's a Dremel?

The wife has shown only a vague interest in gaming in the past, but as the article says, the Wii has really sparked her interest. I think she enjoys it because of it's accessibility, the physical interaction and the more family fun vibe she gets when playing against myself and the kids. she has even organised for friends to come round for a night of drinking and Wii.:thumb:

A lot of people might cast doubt on the Wii as a "serious" gaming platform, but, from my point of view, as a source for family orientated fun it's unsurpassed.

19. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

It's all the Wii? I'll bet that actually it's much much more the DS. Not only that I know several bloke who bought their GF a Wii just because they wanted to play it but it was too kiddy for them, so the GF is the excuse.

20. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Why does a console have to be internet-serious-business anyway? The whole point of gaming originally was family fun, and somehow it got turned into some kind of "hardcore" thing, with people slagging off the Wii because it's "gimmicky" and "kiddie". Completely ignoring the fact it's incredibly fun to play, yeah it might not have the "serious" shootan gaems like other consoles but why does that matter? If your want to play those games, buy a console that has them, if you want ridiculously fun party games, get a Wii, it's not rocket science. The problem is people who complain about the Wii, bought it because it was a Nintendo console, they just expected it to be like all the other Nintendo consoles, just with a new controller. That's one of the problems with console gamers nowadays, it always has to be a big battle of who's toy is better.

Tags: Add Tags