1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Vista SP1 beta released to testers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 25 Sep 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Well I hope they sort out the LAN connectivity, sometimes have to waits ages for vista to detect the LAN which I find is very annoying, even with manual network settings applied.
    Most the improvements in SP1 I see dont effect me toomuch on a powerfull desktop machine, im sure if I was running a laptop, then SP1 improvments might be more noticable.

3. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

how about clogging resources? the *rumoured* memory leak? does it stil eat up half a gig of RAM just to stay running? will running a few media player and browsing internet will cough up 1Gb of system resource?

i have 2Gb of RAM so it never really was a threat, but with games eating up 1~1.5Gb of RAM by themselves, i can see this to be problematic with newer games.........

4. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

SP1 didn't really do much for XP - as with the Vista SP1, it was mainly patches and bugfixes. SP2 is what gave XP the real functionality boost.

As for Vista eating up RAM, this is part of the OS functionality, and has been widely documented since Vista's release. If applications demand RAM that the OS is using for caching purposed, I believe it will be released for that application to use.

5. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

took the words out of my mouth.

6. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Network transfer bug!

It's bugging the hell out of me, that I can only copy at 5Mb/s on a gigabit LAN.

7. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

I dont agree

When XP came out there were compatibility issues, it was slow, etc etc etc - hell they even complained about it on the BBC
    SP1 actually fixed loads of the initial problems (well rolled it up into a neat package) and made the OS far more usable

However, vista SP1 doesn't have so many gaping flaws, and As far as i have read, SP1 really wont make a difference, if you don't like vista now, SP1 really wont change that

8. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I think they've fixed that already mate.
    There's some other fixes on the MS website that are real hard to find where you need to apply a kernel update.

9. evox

evox What's a Dremel?

Sp1 is up on torrents (mininova). Not that I would bother, better wait for the final version :)

10. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I really want them to add 1 feature to SP1 for Vista, just one. That would be the ability to turn clear(fuzzy)type off on ALL sections of the OS, the current behaviour only turns it off on things like icon text but there are sections in which it remains on and I HATE it.

11. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

Oh, most definitely so! *snicker snicker*

12. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I hope it lets my optical drives frigging work, I thought it was the drives so I got them replaces and the new ones have the same issue with it. And when I run the firmware update from pioneer it says it can't update them!

AND, most annoyingly of all, when I tell it not to alert me of security notices, it still god damn well does and it never recongonises it when i tell it not to!

13. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Where won't it turn off? It hasn't bothered me yet, and I usually get a headache when reading it for extended periods.:blush:
    Maybe it just isn't anywhere I would read for long :)

14. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I've tried all of them and none have worked for me. I'm starting to think it might be a bug in MCE rather than Vista as transfers are only slow between these two PCs (but MCE to XP is fine :sigh:). And I'm pretty sure there's still the bug where transfer speeds drop when you start playing audio.

Tags: Add Tags