1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what is the best computer game music EVER?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by sotu1, 10 Sep 2007.

1. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

2. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Black. It went unnoticed and scorned by most of the gaming community, esp. since it was a console-only FPS (god only knows why). Had an awesome piece of neo-classical music on the title.
    Otherwise, it's Quake (trent reznor) or Doom 3 (trent reznor's former drummer, booyah!)

3. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

Isn't it just. :D

I fooking love video game music. So many memorable themes. To me the music is an integral part of the game.

Oh, how about the music from Twilight Princess, some of the best in the series (though I do love the 8 bit rendition from Links Awakening DX on the GB). I love just taking Epona and riding around listening to the music. Absolutly Epic.:lol:

Edit: Almost forgot about Snowboard Kids, one of my favorite games on the N64 and of all time. Amazing music http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/n64/SBKQuicksandValley.mid

Last edited: 20 Sep 2007
  4. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I never go out in clubs. I can't dance, I hate to move and try to have rythm (because I don't have any) but DUDE , I would totally go out every week if that existed haha

5. spazmochad

spazmochad Minimodder

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

The soundtrack for FF7 was absolutely destroyed in the PC version. That's 80% of the reason I have to use the PS1 version (the other 20% being that the keyboard just does NOT work for that game). I can only assume FF8 had the same thing happen, but I could never find the PC version in stores.

Whoever mentioned Zelda: TP... dunno where it was, but there was one piece in there that I absolutely loved. When Midna was in trouble halfway through or something like that. I could swear that it wasn't on the OST, or I just liked it a lot better when I was playing.
    edit - scratch that... checking the playlist of an "alternate" version, apparently I'm missing 2/3 of the music

Also, Otherworld in FFX is pretty badass. The revamped version by The Black Mages (Uematsu's band) is pretty nice as well, but has a TOTALLY different feel to it that wouldn't have worked at all in the actual game.

7. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

The old school batman theme, used it when i was in BWL doing mobs before the drakes, it was awesome

8. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

9. riggs

riggs ^_^

Ah, the good old days of 4 channel MODs :D

10. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

apart from th eones that are already listed id like to add the leisure suit larry score (for the third game) it was based upon the beatles song 'when im 64'

11. Ab$olut

Ab$olut What's a Dremel?

why isn't half life 1 getting more mentions I thought the music was really well done.

12. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

The music was agreeably good, but not beautiful, which is probably what some people are really aiming for.

13. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Plus, H-L only had one or two bits of music; they were sparse, moody, etc. but nothing you'd put on your mp3 player (final fantasy, on the other hand...well, I know people who have all the game scores on CD...)
    I'd forgotten about battlefield 1942. That had an awesome theme.

14. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

Hitman...

15. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

uber bump from the dead, i'm gonna make another thread for voting only in the next few days. (unless a moderator would be kind enough to put in all the games people have listed here, i'd happily do it myself but ain't got the option to)

so, any final suggestions for best game music? i'm gonna say civiliasation series because the music was legendary.

16. Major

Major Guest

Easily easily easily most MGS songs in any of the games. :)

17. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

Well, the title says somputer game music and if anyone doesn't know, the music to Oblivion is in the game folder and can be easily made into a playlist. (I can't remember the file path though :p) Jeremy SOule did a wonderful job on it.

My absolute favorite game soundtrack? (happens to be my favorite game too) is Chrono Trigger. Wonderful music, and you can find a massive symphonic remix at ocremix.org and a remake of allot of tracks at the Chrono Compendium.

Another that should be mentioned is the Castlevania Series. The work put into the music for ALL of the games is amazing and should not be unnoticed. Who doesn't recognise Vampire Killer?

Okay, one more. The Metroid Series. The Brinstar theme is quite memorable indeed. If you get a chance, check out Metroidmetal.com They did some fantastic remixes sure to bang some heads.

Geez I could go on and on.....

18. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

mgs music is pretty damn good, i love the music in the original halo though, really adds so much to the game. i have the soundtrack cd too :D

19. PhenomRed

PhenomRed What's a Dremel?

The intro music from Red Alert 2
    The music in the Battle for Middle-Earth games, mainly cause its from the movies and i really like the songs
    Oblivion has awesome music. Can listen to it for ages

20. Dave Penguin

Dave Penguin O hai.

I think the most atmospheric and appropriate music in a game has to be MGS - hands down. However, I think for the "Best" music in a game, you need look no further than "To Zanarkand" from Final Fantasy X. Just a quiet, slow piano piece, but it's absolutely stunning.

Of course, this is discounting the Monkey Island main theme, which still makes me feel like I'm at primary school when I hear it.

Anyway - one of the best things to do is have a quick search of youtube for "Video Game Piano" - there are so many videos of people actually performing some surprisingly good renditions of Video game music. Aside from the usual "Oh, look at me, I can play the Mario theme blindfolded" weirdos, look out for the "Final Fantasy medley" - it's absolutely awesome.