1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pet peeves

Discussion in 'General' started by Sinnka, 28 Sep 2007.

1. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I'm going straight on. I don't signal until I'm ready to turn.

Look, I know you want to prove me wrong, but you can't, you weren't there. I know what happened, and I am level headed enough to not be a prat on the road. I know how to drive, I know how to cycle. This was a situation where some guy in a crappy car cut me up and could have seriously injured me. He was in the wrong, me kicking his car might make him more aware of cyclists and motorcycles. I feel no remorse. If it happened again, I'd go for the wing mirrors.

If you actually read my posts properly and take them on board, rather than seeing my name and getting all flustered by my sometimes jovial approach to life, you might not make yourself seem like such an uptight old fart. I swear, you cannot be 26. If you're profile said 30 I might believe it.

2. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

and not signaling in the left hand lane of a standard 3 exit roundabout, is indication of intent to go straight on. it is advised that a cyclist indicate right to show intention of not going left but is not required. a car user behind a cyclist on a roundabout should not try to pass the cyclist on the roundabout to then pull left infront of the cyclist, and should instead allow the cyclist to cross the exit and then pull left. however criminal damage of property is never a good or clever idea. in truth we should require all road users to be insured, this would include car owners, cyclists(adult and child) and even horse riders, all uninsured users to be fined and 1 week in jail.

3. will.

Your probably right. Its something that's just not enforceable though. Kids have bikes at the age 3, sometimes younger. I regularly cycled past a family of 4 going to school on their bikes in the summer, with all the hassle and cost of insurance, would they keep bothering to cycle? In my case I probably would need insurane. I cycle on busy roads. I take all te precautions I can, but there is always going to be one idiot that cuts me up. Oh and by the way; the orriginal kick was to prevent the rest of me hitting the car. The second was just for fun.

4. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

highway code sez: "cyclists and horse riders who may stay in the left-hand lane and signal right if they intend to continue round the roundabout"
    Rule 187, wasn't it?

"I'm going straight on. I don't signal until I'm ready to turn."
    Hmm. Should really signal to state intent.

Look, this is becoming bizzarre. Like you said, I wasn't there. I was vaguely peeved that you felt that because someone NEARLY hit you, you felt like you could damage his property. Obviously I am in a minority.

5. will.

My bad, I mean, I'll signal when I get past the junction before the one I'm taking. This reduces confusion from signalling too early on roundabouts with more than the usual number of exits. ie, several of them could be considered as left.

He didn't nearly hit me. I hit him. He went in front, I put my foot out and kicked his car to stop myself from face planting on his rear window. Then I kicked it again. Yea, I shouldn't have done that, but I was pissed.

6. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Oi! Less of calling over 30's old uptight farts!

I don't have any pet peeves. I just have a lot of room under my patio ;)

7. will.

:p

I never did... I know many an over 30 who are wildly entertaining! Mid-mid life crisis's are hilarious!

8. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I have never been a part of such site, but some people tend to add their entire MSN contact list - which I'm a part of.

9. will.

Facebook does that annoying import contacts thing...

10. Fophillips

Fophillips What's a Dremel?

Another simple answer: Add Bebo, MySpace, WhatEverThe****2.0BetaGammaFTW to your spamfilter's blacklist.

11. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

well, sometimes the person sending the mail is set as sender. And if not, there is a new site (and address) each week, so it's hopeless.

12. whisperwolf

rule 187 is for car users and states what cyclists may do, rule 77 is for cyclists and says you may need to signal right to indicate not going left. there is no, you must out stretch you right right hand on a roundabout whilst steering to the left then right to navigate the roundabout, rule.

oh and i also hate old people in volvo's pulling caravans

13. Fophillips

Fophillips What's a Dremel?

Use the X-Originated IP of the email, chances are it's that of the MX Server. Failing that, don't tell people who visit those sort of sites your email address.

14. WireFrame

...or you MAY get run over. Obvious, really.

15. will.

I don't know why your still arguing about this. Your attitude is like those drivers who see people crossing a road a bit late (ie, the green man is starting to flash) and start to accelerate. Yea, technically, I should have waited, but that is irrelevant now. So your accelerating and I'm still in the way. What are you going to do? Run me over just because I shouldn't really be there? Grow up!

If there is a bike in the way, even if they are perhaps not following the highway code to the letter, you still give way to them. Your in a car, they are on a bike. In a crash, the car is always going to win. Does the loss of 30 seconds TV time when you get home really equal the possible death you might cause from hitting a cyclist? Even if a cyclist is on a damn motorway going 5mph in the middle lane - however wrong that cyclist may be - you still give way to them! You phone the police and they can sort it out.

16. WireFrame

Whos talking to you? I'm replying to whisperwolf.

17. will.

18. whisperwolf

where as consistently using your right hand extended to navigate a roundabout leave you with less control over the vehicle presenting a much higher chance of losing control or falling of and under someone’s tires, Obvious, really.

There are plenty of things cyclists do that annoy me, using the right hand lane on roundabouts, riding up on the left side of cars waiting at junctions, not wearing reflective clothing and helmets, but them trying to navigate a roundabout safely and correctly is not one of them. in all cases a motorist should realise that them crashing into a cyclist is never a good thing and will often result in hospitalisation for the cyclist and should hence take as much care overtaking them as they would a horse rider.

19. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Another one:
    Holding a door open for someone, and them not even acknowledging you (let alone thanking you).

A little manners go a long way.

20. quack

quack Minimodder

People saying "bless you" when I sneeze. Bugger off with that religious nonsense; I'm an atheist and I don't have the plague. ;)