1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Burnt Southbridge... wth.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DarkLord7854, 3 Oct 2007.

1. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I somehow managed to burn up my southbridge :blah:
    Called eVGA, promptly demanded for a level 3 tech, troubleshooted it and what-not, turns out my southbridge on my 680i mobo completely fried itself. I received the "First ever burnt southbridge" award nomination from eVGA (no free cookies.. what a rip-off :().

Any recommendations for a southbridge cooler for my next mobo when it comes in? I was watercooling the northbridge, and bought a small all-copper GPU heatsink with a 7cfm fan on it, mounted it fine and put articsilver and what-not, and it still burnt. I'm not really hot with the idea of watercooling the southbridge too.. and it's got to be fairly low-profile so that the video card fits in. I also don't want the "recommended eVGA southbridge fan" because my roommate bought it for his southbridge, and he nearly burnt his but we narrowly avoided the incident :sigh:

2. naokaji

naokaji whatever

grab a thermalright sli chipset cooler... the actual hsf is a bit beside the actual base of the cooler thx to heatpipes.. so you can circle it around the graphicscard...

actually... the southbridge shoudnt run that hot (atleast with non nvidia chipsets)... tried improving the general airflow?

3. mctigger

mctigger What's a Dremel?

thats impressive!!!

did you have it oc'd? or stock?

im not really sure of southbridge coolers tbh, will have a look see if i can find anything

4. nibble

nibble What's a Dremel?

5. naokaji

naokaji whatever

that cooler is too high, it wont fit under a graphicscard, there is a southbridge version that is less high though, due to the heat issues nforce chipsets have i'd go with a heatpipe based cooler with a bigger surface area...

something like [http://www.petrastechshop.com/thhrhrislich.html for example.. wher you have no space issues but still a massively increased surface.

6. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Yeah, those Enzotech sinks are cool, but they really don't work much better than the stock solution. I'd second the Thermalright sink, especially if ya have any air movement around it. With a fan actively on it, it's awesome. They work wonders.

7. DarkLord7854

It was on stock/factory settings

Tech said i just had a bad board.

That vertical heatpipe cooler is interesting, would it fit with an 8800GTX?

8. E.E.L. Ambiense

Good Q. I'm not sure, but I can speak from personal experience with the HR-05. I have an old S939 DFI LP UT Expert board, and I run the non-sli version of the HR-05 ironically on an SLi set-up because the SLi version will NOT fit with longer cards (2 7800GT's) due to placement of the chipset.

Looking at the layout on the 680i, my guess is that the SLI version would fit with the fins going vertical so they are above the GFX card. Unless you have a huge CPU cooler. Is it watercooled?

I just checked EVGA's site, and apparently both are compatible.

9. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

all very well changing the HSF on the south bridge, but is there cool air getting anywhere near it?

i had a DFI Ultra SLI-DR fry its NB even with a evercool HSF on it, my 8800GTS just blocked it tooo much, hot air build up, just a matter of time with out me knowing until the board died..

10. DarkLord7854

Ooh, thanks, it seems like good choice then, and I can easily attach a fan to that right?
    And yes, the CPU + NB are/will be watercooled, so there won't be any space issues coming from there. Was just asking because it will most likely fit with my 7900GS but I'm getting a 8800GTX soon-ish so it wuld suck if suddenly the cooler couldn't fit anymore :(

It's got two high CFM 120mm fans blowing air from the front to the back and the cooler I had put on it had a little 50mm fan on it as well, nothing was blocking the airflow. There's also a 120mm fan which spins a bit slower blowin air from the bottom (slower so it doesn't pick up dust too much and stuff)

11. E.E.L. Ambiense

Yeah, held on by zip-ties/pullties/nylon thingies. I believe a 70mm fan is what they state in manual. There's a 70 x 15mm fan made by Evercool I believe that works perfect for this.

Yeah, looks like your board can use either the SLi or non-SLi version without incident, but don't quote me. I'd check the other forums or the net and see what others have done. Looks like you'd be fine either way though.

Tags: