1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things that make you feel nerdy

Discussion in 'General' started by pranks7er, 3 Oct 2007.

1. z3rb

z3rb +4 str +4 stam

Wasted? WASTED?!

ghuH Daq Hegh DaH! :p

2. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre <b>banned</b>

Being able to recall from memory the brand, model, and current settings for every component of my computer.

Being able to quote comedy sketches verbatim from memory, no matter when I last watched said comedy sketch.

Owning a T-shirt with Domo Kun on it.

Having spent over £30 on a mouse, but still using an old compaq PS2 Keyboard.

Running a Dual Boot

Knowing the shortcut Left alt + Left Shift + Printscreen, then enter, and using it on ususpecting co-workers and friends.

Working in a call center for richer sounds, but still managing to talk to a customer about the new 65nm 360's.

And, being able to utter the phrase 'If I had a penny for every time I've sat down in front of my computer in the day, then realized later on that I'm sat in the dark in front of a monitor...'

3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Something about dying vigilently now?

And yes, wasted. Why bother learning about Constellation classes when there are so many better classes to be learned? When was the last time anyone bothered with Oberth, eh?

4. z3rb

z3rb +4 str +4 stam

"Prepare to die now"
    you were close :p

Because the Oberth class ships were boring, and had a ridiculous ugly design.
    Although the NX class was definitely my favourite, since Captain Archer (clearly the superior captain) flew one.

5. oddball walking

oddball walking ...!

QTF, What did they design that on road kill.
    NX yes, Archer no (but his dog was cool)

6. specofdust

specofdust Banned

xD - You must be kidding. Tell me you're kidding.

It's Picard or Kirk, and Kirk was like Elvis, cool for a while then just sweaty and overweight. The "Enterprise" series isn't to be included along with all the others, as far as I'm concerned. It just isn't the same show.

7. z3rb

z3rb +4 str +4 stam

[​IMG]
    All aboard the failboat!

EDIT:
    Well if it's just between Kirk and Picard then Picard, obviously.

8. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I'm fat

I overuse the word 'noob' and when I look at a cloudy sky I am impressed by the resolution of the texture

9. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre <b>banned</b>

Actually...

It makes me feel Geeky that seemingly random numbers/letternumber combos actually mean things to me. eg,

800 400 256 128 1024 2048 1333 1066 1337 8800 8600 7950 7900 7600 6600 1900 X2600 X2900 X1900 X700, GT, GTX, GS, LE, ME, XP, DOS, RAID, AGP, PCI, GbE, DPI, DLL, EXE, COM, LPT, ISA, DDR, CPU, LGA, XT, XTX, 9x, 56K, 33.6, 28.8, CPT, FSB, JPG, GIF, PNG, MOV, AVI.

10. Morphine-Kitty

Morphine-Kitty Dead account.

Dungeons and Dragons. We're the nerds among nerds.

Referencing obscure computer-related jokes when I'm around people who won't get them.

A lot of the same stuff as you guys really.

11. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Best place to read it without getting distracted tbh.
    1. Yes, yes you are. I still don't get how it works.
    2. I do that sometimes, then think '****' so I grin, say something that makes me look like an idiot, then walk off dancing.

12. sam.g.taylor

sam.g.taylor Apparently I'm Greg Kinnear

Let me add on to what I said earlier, I just had this happen right now:
    I'm browsing the net for all-in-one watercooling kits... (I don't have a ton of cash and don't need a hardcore setup)

Roommate: What's that?
    Me: It's a watercooling system I'm thinking of installing in my computer.
    Roommate: Water and electricity don't exactly mix.
    Me: [Explains how useful and popular watercooling is]
    Roommate: So how much does that cost?
    Me: To start, maybe $200...
    Roommate: Wow, you could go on at least three decent dates for that, and probably get laid after the third.
    Me: /thinks that still won't let me play World in Conflict

13. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

Yes, that one makes me feel nerdy because those have no meaning to a normal person. Also these additional ones.
    1. Using words like rofl, lawl, pwn, own, noob and other such sayings IRL(using IRL also).
    2. The fact that I spent as much money on PC this month as I did on my girlfriend.
    3. Not finding very many people IRL who have as much random hardware knowledge as I do.
    4. I went to a computer science camp at a university last summer for 2 weeks.

14. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

...and the first thing you think of when see the word 'verbatim' is a media brand. :hehe:

15. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

LOL. I think we've all had that conversation in one form or another.

16. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

Was in basic heat transfer class and the professor brought up a slide with the conductance values of various metals. And I already knew what the top 3 were before I saw the slide: silver-> copper-> aluminium. I smiled to myself.

Explaining to my boss at work why I needed water cooling kind of made me feel like a nerd also... Also, going into a car part store and asking for (some random fitting for my rad). Then when the store clerk asked what kind of car/radiator it was for, I said a BlackIce Extreme. Then I proceded to explain that my computer was water cooled. Dude told me that they didn't sell water cooling parts. Lol.

Also: wishing there was a ctrl-z button for life. I've brought this up with friends before and they all agreed. Also, where the hell is the ctrl-f so I don't have to flip through every damn page just to find the thing i'm looking for? That's why I try to find my textbooks in pdf form if possible.

Using IRL IRL.

17. Tsen

Tsen Steeped In Romance

Typing this on a Compaq keyboard right now, and using a Logitech G5 mouse :p. What can I say, the Compaq keyboard just feels right. I like the low-profile keys on mine.

18. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

what makes me a nerd is seeing that and instantly wondering if a chainmail base unit is do-able

also when people ask for help because their PC has crashed and they say to you that the lights on the hdd won't come on and you think ok thats not a problem i'll just replace the hdd and THEN you realise that they mean the base unit power switch isn't on at which point you go and turn it on at the wall for them.

p.s. having a star trek picture of the enterprse on the wall is sad especially when you could have posters of tasha yar (Denise Crosby) on the wall instead :clap:

I've also just been told but I hadn't realised it was a reason is that I'm a nerd because I have Bit-tech as my home page

Last edited: 4 Oct 2007
  19. EmJay

EmJay What's a Dremel?

... GTS, PHP, RMA, ASI, AMD, XFX, 6850, 6750, 6700, 512, DDR, CAS, 754, 939, AM2, PIB, IDE, SATA, D2LL, 7300, 768, USB, 1394, BIN, EVGA, BFG ...

It's nasty when you run into one of these IRL - 'Sorry, something happened in 1066? No, you've got the grammar wrong, it runs at 1066... wait, what were you saying?'

The worst was probably the day I put a note on a CPU at work that read 'was not a PIB so cannot RMA with AMD...' and realizing that not only did I understand it, everyone else who works there would understand it as well.

20. knuck

knuck Hate your face

LOL

best laugh of the day

good one !