1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PC Power & Cooling launches new 1.2kW PSU

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 4 Oct 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

As if a 1-KW SR wasn't enough anyway...:waah:

3. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Ya know,they really should cap psu's in same way they are (trying to) cap emmissions.

They should say that 650watts is the maximum allowed and then the hardware manufactuer's (I'm looking at you nVidia and AMD (ATi) yes, YOU!) will be forced to get the performance on and have decent power usage.

4. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

The lack of the modular facility is a little annoying, especially when you bear in mind the enormous number of cables that come with this power supply.

Is there any reason (from an electrical point of view) why they have chosen not to make modular power supplies? Given that it is a company with such a reputation, I would expect there to be a reason for it.

5. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Theoretically, every connection adds impedance and a potential point of failure, but these are pretty negligible and are IMHO far outweighed by the benefits of a modular PSU. Perhaps there is an issue with physical space inside the PSU given the heavy duty componentry (not to mention cooling) needed to service 1.2kW??

6. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Is there a significance in there only being one rail?

7. ỒĊBłůē

ỒĊBłůē Also available in black

I noticed that - the 1kW version appears to be single rail flavour too.

Their reasoning is explained here (#8).

They've answered the modular plugs one there too, though I'd suggest that if they used better quality (industry standard) plug & sockets there would be less of a problem.

8. naokaji

naokaji whatever

the point behind sinlge rail is that the multi rail psu's are limited for how much they can put out per rail, also you cant screw up by demanding too much of one rail while leaving the others "alone" when there is only one rail.

9. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

Can a households electricity supply support this under 75-85% load in addition to all the other modern appliances and chargers?

10. Risky

Risky Modder

A kettle might be about 3000W. You don't need the 3-phase power supply yet.

11. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

yeah **** the environment, pass me an uber cola and some sun screen

12. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

I thought 1000W was ridiculous.....

13. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i am with him!!! :wallbash:

14. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Oh joy, another defeat for common sense.
    Yet another overpowered toy for those with more money than sense and more insecurities than an enlarged e-penis can cure..

15. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

Why on earth do you need 6 PCI-E connections (SLI only needs 4 ... and its not enough for quad SLI)
    Why dual 8 pins as well, motherboards only have 1, and why the 4 pin on top of that, just give a 8->4 adaptor for those that need it

Jeez if they put a second 24pin in there you could run 2 computers (and then some) on this power supply

Im not too sure on some of them (#3, 4, 5, 6)

Last edited: 5 Oct 2007
  16. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

....and, pray tell, who are these mythical, elusive people with such rigs as to draw legendary amounts of POWAH?

17. naokaji

naokaji whatever

2x Quad Core Xeon + SLI with highend Nvidia Quadro Cards + 16 GB FB DIMM Ram + Raid 60 Array with 8+ 15 K HDD.... thats about as close to such amounts of power as you can get...

no i dont have one:sigh: (but if someone wants to donate one just drop me a pm:naughty:)

18. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

very environment friendly indeed. They / we should:

swap harddrives for solidstate (harddrive manufactures should start making deals with memorychip makers as soon as possible)
    swap 65nm CPU for 45nm CPU (or lower nm) as soon as possible
    swap 65GPU for r45nm GPU (or lower nm) as soon as possible
    make better/efficient motherboars as soon as possible
    make better/efficient videocards as soon as possible
    make better/efficient PSUs as soon as possible (instead of the "more watt is better war" invent the "less watt is ownage war" )
    swap all crt monitors for energy efficient lcd monitors (with same qualities)

All the above will have a real effect on the worlds powerdrain.

19. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

As stated on the PCPC site a PSU doesnt actually use more power unless you plug more into it, and a high power psu at lower usage will usually be more efficient.

Im sure people could use a good 600w on hard drive arrays and such, less enthusiasts bashing kit thats made for them tbh!

20. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

Every connection has resistance and even if it's only a fraction of an Ohm that means alot when your drawing large currents through it. For example if we have a connection with a impedance of 0.02ohm and draw 30A through it P=I^2 * R states we have a connector disapating 18W! enough to damage the connector. Another problem is that the impedance of the connectors will cause increased load modulation of the voltage components recive by increasing the output impedance of the power supply. For example with our same example asuming a supply voltage of 12V the load will only be reciving 11.4V which puts the supply out of the ATX spec (not that PCPC psus conform to this anyway... but thats another issue (and one that I agree that they should take the stance they take due to the specs been geared towrads cheaper psus)).

:)

Tags: Add Tags