1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Team Fortress 2 Beta Impressions

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 4 Oct 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. naokaji

naokaji whatever

me wants... jaw drop... staring at it.... must have.... cant wait....

pity about the low number of maps... but they had to do something to not get 11/10 ratings when its finally released...

it looks like it will be a really good game... this autumn is going to be awesome... TF2 + Portal + UT3 + Crysis and so on....

3. plagio

plagio What's a Dremel?

This game is funny as hell. If you press the "G" button they make a little dance which is hilarious. I have been watching these guys making the "dance" for minutes the other day, and it changes if you change the weapon. Obviously, the opposite team took all the flags and we were still standing in the spawn point laughing.

4. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

TF2 is absolutely fantastic, ridiculous amounts of fun

couple of changes i'd like to see
    1) imo the pyro is maybe a touch overpowered with the last patch, it was pretty devastating used correctly before but now its a bit silly :p
    2) omg no sentry building in sudden death mode, PLEASE
    sudden death mode as it is should just be renamed super camp mode, both sides just build a huge pile of sentries and dispensers and camp til the time limit runs out

soldier and demoman can explosion jump up there too ;)
    in fact the demoman can stickybomb jump higher than a soldier can rocket jump, just use more stickybombs :D

also:
    [​IMG]

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

For all those that said it was vapourware, I say the near 10-year development cycle was "well worth the wait". :D

6. HellRazor

HellRazor What's a Dremel?

While your happy your grenades are gone, I for one and VERY much missing them. Something about the fact that Sentry Guns are near impossible to take out unless your a Spy now, or get lucky enough that an engi isn't around to blast you in the face while your trying to get it.... used to toss a few grenades and it was done... That, and without the aide of Conc grenades...how on earth am I going to do Conc maps in TF2???

Other than the lack of Grenades, I must say I love TF2. If I want the Grenades I can always play TFC or Fortress Forever eh?

BTW, great write up!

7. phat-ant

phat-ant What's a Dremel?

Got to be fair, I have been playing this since the beta was out and its super good fun.
    I would like a few more maps I dare say they will come in time :)

8. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Awful, dumbed down game...roll on portal!

9. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

or a demoman
    or a soldier
    and its even easier if you have a medic

10. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

Amazing game just everything about it all the voice acting the little touches just the faun that can be had and its great for public especially when a few people get to working together, but thats the thing you dont even have to and still have a great game.

For me though its all about being the spy crying for a medic and get one off the other team healing you before you back stab him.....love it.

11. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

I absolutely love it, (BTW portal and EP1 preload...YEAH !)
    Just could use a tidbit more fps, because as my mobility x1400 has no trouble achieving 60-100 fps in CSS (@1280*768) I'm at the average 20 fps in TF2.

Nevermind, love the killcam !
    pics :http://g3n3tix.free.fr/files/TF2/

12. z3rb

z3rb +4 str +4 stam

QFT!

13. aggies11

aggies11 What's a Dremel?

I think the FF On/Off toggle has been disabled in a patch, no? (From what I recall reading, it was never intended to be in the game in the first place).

Aggies

14. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

hang on, does this site share the same offices as TrustedReviews? Or have Hugo and Riyad been moonlighting? Not that i'm complaining, i like it when Hugo gets larger articles than just news, the xbox showcase was brilliant

15. Tim S

Tim S OG

Bit-tech and TR are brother and sister - you're right to think we're based in the same offices. ;)

TR's guys occasionally do some articles for bit, and vice versa. Hugo wrote this particular one especially for bit-tech though, as he'd been playing the TF2 beta the most. Personally, I think he has WAY too much time on his hands. :p

16. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

Pretty good article. A couple of nitpicks. The sniper had an smg in TFC (article made it seem this was a new addition). The Demoman had 2 grenade launchers in TFC (article made it seem that this was new, only thing new is that they're sticky).

One question. Can Medics still infect the enemy? If they can, the healing gun makes it way too easy to do so.

I'm pretty bummed about the loss of grenades. Sounds like it's near impossible to take down an sg unless your a demoman or soldier. Grenades were also one of the best ways to defend yourself as a sniper.

17. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Agreed. I read that there was no 'nades and that the healing gun existed and could make people immortal and I thought: NNNNooooo!

18. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Sorry if I implied the Sniper's smg and Demoman's second launcher were new additions - not intended. No medics can't infect, they can only heal.
    I have to agree, the removal of grenades does sound like sentries should be a lot more dangerous, but in actuality it's just another push towards teamwork being required - Scouts would (imo) be overpowered by far if they could take out the SGs too.

19. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

Come on, it's not that bad ! The medic is easy to take down.
    Unless there is another medic healing him.
    But this medic can be killed...Unless there is another medic healing him.
    Ohnoes, infernal loop !

BTW : that kind of Nooooo ?

20. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

oooh Cartoons and carnage. About time we had some comedy shooters back on the gaming scene. Looking forward to this. :clap:

Tags: Add Tags