1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is raid 0 worth it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fatmario, 5 Oct 2007.

1. fatmario

fatmario What's a Dremel?

I need some suggestion about buying new hard drive I can spend only $160 us dollar

here are my option

Right now my system is running on Seagate 7200.10 500GB hd
    I do have lot videos,music,other file stored in my current hd I dont really want to lose them so I Dont see any point of getting another single 500gb raid them.

only option I see

Get 2x320gb raid 0 them use for OS/GAMES/MUSIC/VIDEOS And my current 500 GB for storeing as back up drive so if anything goes wrong on my raid i will have it on 500gb hd

2. MilkMan5

MilkMan5 Yeah man...

RAID in general is worth it, but it really depends on what you want out of it.

You have a 500MB HDD already

RAID 0 is stripping, so it’s for improving performance, so then you can get your 2x 320Gig
    It really does increase performance, and all you need to do is make sure you backup any important data to your 500Gig HDD.

RAID 1 is mirroring, so you could get another 500MB and mirror your drive so that if one goes down, your data is still safe.
    The problem is, you will still only have a total of 500B.

3. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

It really depends on what you're using it for. I've used it many times before. I'm currently not using it. Here's a snippet from a great write-up here on Bit-Tech recently regarding RAID....

Do I need RAID?
    While there are a few situations which may require the use of RAID at home, they are few and far between. There are of course many situations where it isn’t necessary, but it can provide various benefits. As disk capacity grows, more and more important data gets thrown onto our hard drives and a disk failure can cause a serious headache. Protection against data loss in the event of a disk failure can be invaluable, and RAID can provide a great deal of peace of mind.

From a performance point of view however, RAID doesn’t make much of an argument for desktop use. Sure, you may save a second when loading a game, but the same time could be saved by upgrading your CPU or memory. Fact of the matter is, unless you’re doing some pretty hardcore graphics, audio or video work, the performance potential of RAID doesn’t mean much.

The biggest difference you’re likely to notice is when running disk benchmarks that have little or no bearing on real world performance. It’s all one big balancing act between the level of performance needed, the level of redundancy required and the cost of implementation as to whether RAID is worth using, and which level of RAID is the best choice.

Choose for yourself for what you need and/or want and whether or not it's worth it.

4. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Generally, RAID 0 isn't worth it at home, and certainly don't use mobo RAID...

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

6. fatmario

So if get another 500gb hd use on raid 1 Will i able to get same performance as raid 0? or should just get 2x320gb for raid 0, I know there is double of chance disk failure but I can use my current 500gb as back up.

7. E.E.L. Ambiense

No, you will be a mirror. You will have 500gb of data backed up. It will be writing essentially two copies of the data to two different drives as was already pointed out. 0 would give you a performance increase, albeit slim, on your system, and you would have 1,000gb of space as one large drive but the chance of failure increases.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

~850GB with RAID 0 overhead isn't it?

9. fatmario

oh i see now i just want faster performance like loading program more faster,games, what kinda set up should i get then? any suggestion guys?

10. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

No, not really.

11. E.E.L. Ambiense

Well, yeah...but technically two 500gb drives added together is what I meant in a simple sense. Hell, with overhead it'd be...what....360gb of available space or something in a stripe like that? :hehe:

12. specofdust

specofdust Banned

A western digital Raptor is the best solution for you. Don't bother with RAID 0, it's pants for what you want.

13. E.E.L. Ambiense

14. Washfordmonkey

Washfordmonkey What's a Dremel?

dunno we have tried the raptors, and reverted back to WD sata drives.. as it didnt make all that much difference on our servers

15. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Servers != gaming machines.

If you want fast server performance that needs nippy and high bandwidth disks, ignore the Raptors since they're far better for gamers than for business users. Go straight to 15k SCSI drives. However for home users wanting faster gaming loading times and performance in windows than a standard 7200RPM drive gets them, then a Raptor is the only wise choice. The difference may not be that huge (certainly I'd never bother with a raptor) but that's what there is.

16. fatmario

Raptor are kinda expensive :worried:

Btw whats wrong with going with 2x320gb hd as raid 0?
    Which hd are better between Seagate 7200.10 series or WS AKKS series? I heard AKKS is faster then seagate.

17. specofdust

specofdust Banned

There's nothing wrong with it per se. It's just pointless and a waste of money, not to mention it more than doubling your chances of dataloss. You said you wanted faster windows and gaming loadtime performance. RAID 0 won't do that. What it will do is add a few seconds onto your boot time, and make large file transfers faster. I doubt you're interested in either of those two things though.

Don't go trying to fit the right answer into your circumstances and disregarding everything else that's said. If you can't afford a raptor, stick with a single drive and either spend your money on something else or save for a raptor. RAID 0 is ridiculously over-rated, it became gamer-chic and to an extent still is. It's horribly misused by the vast majority of people who get it though.

18. E.E.L. Ambiense

Like what Spec said.

To put it bluntly, RAID would be better intended if you were editing major video files (i.e. a movie or something) and you needed quick access to data or quick rendering of said data. For normal desktop use, I'd stick with a single drive, or perhaps a mirror (RAID 1), so you can have a bit of security (i.e. backup) data-wise. But it's your choice.

19. Glider

Glider /dev/null

QFT

I really don't get why people stick their head in the dirt when they hear something they don't like... Like Tad explained to us in the article, you'll most likely better off with some more RAM or a faster CPU then RAID 0ing your HD's. But by all means, go ahead, RAID the HD's, and come complain in 2 months that it isn't any faster... And then once again in a year because you hosed your data because of a failure.

And then again, the new gen HD's offer a performance similar or better then RAID on a decent card, and they just own 'on motherboard' RAID attempts solutions.

EDIT: and remember, RAID != backup...

20. fatmario

only 1-2 second increased lol? some one told me there is huge performance gain in on 2xhd raid 0 configuration beats single raptor benchmark!!! If Its is really only 2-3 second increasd performance I guess it not worth getting raid 0 setup:D. Well Should I just get another 500gb hd to raid them on 1 cause i have lot music,video,other big files right now on my current 500gd hd or should i just burn them on blank dvd disc for back up?