1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Halo 3 used to recruit Christians

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Oct 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. adidas

adidas What's a Dremel?

It's as if the church could never win: when they stick to their traditions they're criticized for being backwards, when they try to add a bit of harmless fun like Halo3 they're mocked for trying too hard. What gives? I'm not a big follower of the church, but more power to them to make their summer camp fun methinks.

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Religion doesn't need to be in games. Games have enough competition as it is.

4. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

I agree with Mankz -- religion is not need in games, tho not just because of the already intense amount of competition the game industry has.

Once you start adding religious content to games, or have an attempt to drive a game by religious themes or have a religion try to use a game as their moral recruiting tool, then you are effectively propogating one religious viewpoint and demoting others. This isn't a smart thing to do as many people who love their religion too much tend to have.. how do we say this politely... "strong opposing feelings" to those who don't share their same views.

I despise all forms of religion, but that's just my own, educated opinion. But the last thing you want is video games being used in religious propaganda -- yet something else to blame the video game industry for.

5. Lee @ Scan

Lee @ Scan Scan Computers

Shouldn't they be using Resistance on the PS3.

I mean, this already have virtual Cathedrals of Manchester in there ;)

6. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

Religion has ruined the world in general and now it's trying to ruin games also?

FOAD imo.

7. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

/hehe well they say the lord moves in mysterious ways. I never figured he/ she (or whatever?) would play Halo 3.

Wonder what name tag he uses? lol.

8. Vash-HT

Vash-HT What's a Dremel?

I like the quote, "We are trying to make it hard for teenagers to go to hell". Yeah I'm sure they're trying so damn hard to get into hell that you have to use Halo 3 to sway their mind and bring them back...

9. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

Wouldn't blowing people up (virtual or not) and enjoying it be a worse sin then not going to church?

10. fwalm

fwalm Minimodder

If people think religion destroyed the world, look at Northern Ireland, it destroyed the country 20 years ago and still hasn't recovered, letting people from Northern Ireland play Halo 3 while at church would just be stupid, bring all the kids up to like violence and keep the violence going here. Would be perfect, the troubles continue. On another note, I would go to church to play becuase I think God is none exisistent but there is something, Halo is just fun but i'm not dumb enough to go on a mass murder, other people from here are. My ramble.

11. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

This is so very, very wrong. What an awful way to force kids into religion - offering them something they wouldn't turn down in a million years just to force some ****ing bible drivel down their neck? :miffed:

I'm all for modernisation of beliefs, but whilst religion still requires sneak tactics for force it down the population's throat, I'd rather it was abolished completely. I was only walking home through the centre of Brum on friday, when I was accosted by damn Scientologists! They tried to rope me in with a free 'stress test'. :nono:

Oh and here's the funny part; religion's responsible for about 100,000,000, more deaths than video games are! Stick that in your pipe and smoke it Mr. Thompson! :p

12. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

only 100,000,000?

13. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

I was thinking of big numbers. Seemed a decent one considering the population how it is now .. But you could be easily correct. :rolleyes:

14. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

Indeed, you forgot about all the Dinosaurs. Act Of God Sent them to Dino heaven. That God....he got a temper on him.:D

15. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I think some of you are putting way too much thought into this. I get the impression that this particular church isn't forcing its beliefs on anyone. If a kid doesn't want to hear the message, they can always play Halo at home, right? They stay to hear the message out of their own free will.

Christians get a bad enough rap as it is, let's not try make up an excuse to rag on them.

-monkey

16. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

I only find it odd because you've got those churches that will tell you Pokemon is the devil, and then you have this church using a video game, Halo no doubt, as a recruiting tool. Doesn't bother me none, hopefully more churches will follow suit in recognizing that video games are just fun and entertainment; not some devilish scheme out to corrupt our minds and turn people from god. This is just coming from my own experience though.

17. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

okay that has to be a sin somehow sheesh

18. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

i remember playing the original halo at a church youth group and one of the grand theft autos, its not new just the first time its hit the news

19. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

they are preparing them for the next holy war, like the US Army has the recruitment game. its not called halo for nothing :p the aliens represent the demons hell bent on taking over the planet.

20. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

i am a Christian and i play plenty of violent games and i even host lan parties at our church

we are just normal people who believe in God

we are not some crazy nutters

Tags: Add Tags