1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Microsoft Sidewinder Mouse

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 14 Oct 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

It looks like something from the future, from the 80s. If you get what I mean...

Yeah, I'll keep my G5 thanks.

3. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Glad I spent a little more on the g9!

4. plagio

plagio What's a Dremel?

gaming mice are wired, period.
    If you don't agree with the lag issue you will agree that you can't risk to have your wireless mouse batteries uncharged before a clan war.

Yeah, I'll keep my copperhead thanks.

5. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

the G5 is actually cheaper now :p

the going price is $55, $10 less than the sidewinder

6. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

ugly, gimmicky. for the noob gamers imo.

should that be 'talking'?

7. Bionic-Blob

Bionic-Blob What's a Dremel?

depends what games you play, and whether it's competitive or not.

8. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

I am by no means pro but even I notice input lag on most wireless mice, I also notice the differance between mouse acceleration off in windows and mouse acceleration rearly off (via registry hack). So far the best mouse I have used for twitch gaming is the razer diamondback but it's not the most comfortable beast.

9. Naberius

Naberius What's a Dremel?

I think that looks rubbish, much rather have a deathadder.

10. tuteja1986

tuteja1986 What's a Dremel?

death adder , logitech MX518 ;) still my fav mouse.

11. Lemur 6

Lemur 6 What's a Dremel?

blatant logitech G9 bite-off

12. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Under all the pictures it says "Click the enlarge" shouldn't this be "Click to enlarge"

13. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

Fact is the lowly and often forgotten Microsoft Intelli mouse v3.0 is still the best gaming and general mouse by far, so good microsoft even brought it back after they said we aint doing it no more and last one I had lasted me 3 years with alot of useage.

Oh yeah wired mice f t w :D

14. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Wired all the way. From input to output. If only the G5 had buttons that were more customizable. And games could support them.

15. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Does it have a clicky scroll wheel? Smooth ones suck for gaming. I have a wireless notebook mouse 6000 with a smooth scroll wheel, and even ignoring from the fact it only scrolls up most of the time, and the rubber tread on it is coming off, it is really annoying whizzing past the gun/tab/whatever that you want.
    Also, what is the difference between a G5 and an MX518? they look the same to me.
    EDIT: great to have articles over the weekend BTW, it gives me something to read :)

16. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Joe,

I always enjoy reading all your articles because of the way you can use humor and reach every gamer possible. In this article however, I did not appreciate the part where you just laugh at those who think there is a difference between a wired mouse and a wireless one. Your opinion is fine, but the way you said it and the way you qualify the wireless-haters as being 'wannabe-progamers' is kinda lame in my opinion.

I personally have never been able to play with a wireless mouse because of the lag, and I honestly can't wait for the day I will find one that doesn't have this problem. I agree, wires suck... but they are necessary at the moment

If you want my opinion, just know that talking against half of your readers by telling them they are just wrong might not be the best way to keep them interested in your articles. I know it annoyed me enough to come here and post this instead of keep reading the article. (I'll read the rest because I am curious about this mouse)

17. stoff3r

stoff3r What's a Dremel?

I read up to the part where you said 99.9 % of people would not notice mouselag. We are talking about gamers here... in a game you are "one" with your inputs (except maybee in EA-titles), any milisecond counts, so i did not read through the test. And it looks horrible:p

18. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Hey Ghys,

Sorry you felt that way about this article and I hope it won't put you off reading bit-tech in the future. I realise what I said could have easily come across as being a bit grumpy but, although this is an issue I feel is true for most 12-year CS hakzors, I didn't mean to offend or piss anyone off. At the end of the day, the review is just my thoughts on the issue and I thought my writing would come across as good naturedly and humour-fully as it was intended to. As I said, just my opinions and not intended to upset anyone.

As always, if you have any more thoughts then feel free to email me because I always like to hear feedback!

Joe

19. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Don't worry, I won't stop reading because of this. I have not been on bit-tech (mostly the website) for the past 6 years for nothing ;)

20. eternum

eternum *blam* shotgun fanhole

As far as gaming mice go, I'm not a huge fan of much dps adjustment. Not because it isn't useful, but because I have little need for it - it took me so long to switch from a trackball to a laser mouse (lack of desk space and trackballs are stationary), that I am quite used to a generally lower dps. The thing that got me on this mouse that will most certainly make me take it for a test drive and maybe buy it is the vertically spaced thumb buttons. I'm shocked that it took this long for anyone to realize that it's more comfortable. I suppose I should be thankful that I developed my thumb dexterity with my trackball for those buttons on my copperhead. (and those are better placed than most IMO). As far as responsiveness with wired vs. cordless, I've never noticed a ton of difference (heck, I'm used to low dps), but I DID notice a ton of difference with my copperhead compared to other laser mice - with the 'always on' laser. Most mice that power down the laser have that uncomfortable lag as you begin to move it (even the trackball did). I don't know what kind of difference in power consumption this would make, but I imagine it wouldn't be as battery friendly. Maybe this is the root of the lag they mention? Or maybe I haven't used enough gaming mice to know whether or not this kind of feature has become ubiquitous yet.

Tags: Add Tags