1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress AppleCoreDuo

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cyprio, 2 Dec 2006.

1. DoOb's

DoOb's Overclocker/Modder

No this isnt a great mod or all the mediocre comments, this mod is F**king insane. You are doing a mentally insane job on this G5. You hitting us with impression over and over again. Stunning working

2. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Okay, this is an answer to Teybers PM, but since he's not accepting PM:s, I can't send it to him, so...

Hey Teyber.

By machine polishing I meant that you polish a piece of say aluminum with a drill and a suitable polishing wheels and waxes and not entirely by hand :)

I've come to realize that even though you wetsand the piece with 2000 grit paper, it'll still have scratches so deep that it'll take a small eternity to get those out with only polishing compound and doing it by hand.

So to get those scratches out, you'll need a few different kind of polishing wheels and a few polishing waxes. After that's done and you have a near mirror shine piece with only small scratches from the cloth polishing wheel, then you buff with say Mothers or Auto Glym products.

Hopefully that helped :thumb:

Darkened

3. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

awesome work cyprio :clap:

4. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

WOW !!!!!!!!

I cannot wait to see some hardwarde in this baby! I still say, Apple is gonna use your idea man! This is the sexiest G5 I have ever seen!!!

5. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Almost there Dean!

Darkened: Yeah, i was going to use polishing wheels but i thought it would take too long due to the large surface area... not so sure about this now, sanding seems to have taken just as long!

6. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Another smallish update:

Had some time to work on finishing off the rear of the case today and securing the mobo tray to the case - the motherboard is quite heavy with all the waterblocks on it and so i felt it needs extra secure fixings. :)

Fan Grill

I decided to use the fan grill that came with the motherboard tray as it has a good airflow and obviously fits perfectly as it was made for it! I didnt like it black however so got to work sanding it down.

[​IMG]

A wire brush made short work of the paint:

[​IMG]

And some polish finished the job.
    I am using M4 countersunk bolts and will have cap screws (the ones with the rounded heads) for the inside:

[​IMG]

And a zoomed out picture (so shiny in the London sunshine!):

[​IMG]

PSU Socket

As you may have spotted in the picture above i also fashioned a little insert to go around the PSU socket. The black plastic of the socket looked really awful next to the black of the case so i got to work on some 1mm thick aluminium.

Rough cut with dremel:

[​IMG]

Straightening the lines with needle files:

[​IMG]

And after some sanding and polishing (Damn - i need to clean the gunk from between the holes! Pipe cleaners anyone?!):

[​IMG]

Mobo bolts

As i mentioned earlier the motherboard will have a full EK waterblock set on the NB, SB and Mosfets. Add the EK full cover 8800 block and the Aquacomputer Cuplex Di and you have some serious weight to contend with.

Luckily for me i left some of the tapped 'holes' inside the case that i could bolt some studding to:

[​IMG]

Drill some holes and add some stainless steel M3 dome nuts (same that i will be using for fan, but havent ordered yet!):

[​IMG]

I will also be doing the same with the bottom edge of the mobo tray, bolting it to the bottom of the case for extra stability.

I will leave you with a couple of shots of a pretty much completed case 'rear end'! :D

"With Door"

[​IMG]

"With Mobo Tray"

[​IMG]

Till next week,

Cyp.

7. wbdog206

wbdog206 not me

looking very sharp.
    great work there.

8. DoOb's

DoOb's Overclocker/Modder

Mental, Absolutely mental Cyp.

9. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

That's awesome! It'll be great for all us posers to copy :p

10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Nice backside ya got there!
    Sorry, I couldn't resist... This is one of those rare builds that looks good even in extreme closeup!

11. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

Awesome work man! Seriously - Its really really great work you're doing here!!!

12. JCBeastie

JCBeastie What's a Dremel?

Absolutely stunning, but I can't help but to think "He could've fit 2x80mm fans back there"... :p

13. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Cheers guys. Much appreciated.

Yeah, i thought about this but it would have involved more cutting and increasing the weakness in the panel (and why i added the 120mm side vent under the 120 Rad). Besides... i like my butt just the way it came! :p

Cyp.

ps stay tuned for some acrylic work this weekend. You might have to go easy on me as it's not my forte. :)

14. onizuka-21

onizuka-21 What's a Dremel?

Hi Cyprio!
    Congratulations for this amazing work, it's definitely the best G5 mod I've ever seen...:thumb:

Where did you get this mobo tray? It's a Lian-Li PC-6x replacement tray, right? I didn't manage to find any in Europe, and shipping it from the US is about the same price as the whole case...

Cheers

15. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Wow, that's really awesome. If you would have never posted those pics of bondo'ing the rear side, I wouldn't believe that you put it in there yourself. Love to see the acrylic work :thumb:

16. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Yeah that is it. I got it from the States: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=210&products_id=3387

Not that expensive given the exchange rate...

17. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

I want to see the case with the parts in it

18. Silent_Enigma

Silent_Enigma What's a Dremel?

That is just beautiful...nice job !!!

19. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

I could pretty much put these in now Asulc as the external case is pretty much done (apart from cleaning all those holes, but let's not go there... :wallbash:).

I am currently thinking about:

1. the watercooling loop (should have all components tomorrow)
    2. the perspex that will 'line' the inside of the case
    3. the lighting

The perspex work goes hand in hand with the lighting and that is a current sticking point that i have asked for help on - see this thread.

I will hopefully have pics of all the components in next weekend.

Cyp.

20. eNoremac

eNoremac What's a Dremel?

"Yeah. I couldnt powder coat as i was afraid the materials i used on the case wouldnt stand up to the oven temps."

Hey Cyprio, Can you explain or elobrate what you mean oven baked the Case with the paint? I know that Cars have to be baked in the oven with the paint to stick to the metal well. But for the case how that work? I'm thinking you painted it then sticked it into the oven where we cook food.. Pardon me for even picture that in my head.. So this is why I'm asking to clarify what you mean please.. :) I have a G5 Case with everything in it including the fans and Hard drive holders and that goodies.. I already modified one case and my wife wanted it so I gave it to her. It ain't even near what you just did. So the second one I'm taking my time little bit longer and do it right and perfect if possible.. So please explain about the painting process..

Other than that keep up the GREAT WORK!