1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Microsoft Sidewinder Mouse

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 14 Oct 2007.

1. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

How much of that is psychological though? If someone made a wired and wireless version of the same mouse, but attached to a PC with a wire so you had no way of knowing which was wireless (any variable other than 'feel' is removed for the purposes of the experiment) can you be 100% sure you'll feel the difference? It's something we shoudl probably consider testing in the offices somehow.

2. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Looking to get a bunch of stuff in over the next few months, so i'll try and add those to the list :D

3. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

thanks, I've been looking or a second gaming mouse, and these are my top competitors (I dislike the profile of razer mice, they just don't fit my holding style)

4. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

:lol:

Heh, and I prefer the feel of the Diamondback over the Copperhead because the curve at the back is more gradual - a difference so tiny it's hard to see but I sure can feel it. It just goes to show how personal taste in mice can be.

Did someone else say welcome to the forums yet?

I agree with you on the weights thing but some people want it and to them it matters. -shrug-

5. naokaji

naokaji whatever

dpi switching Cheesecake... its something really nice, especially when switching between gaming and windows...

as for the weights.. make the mouse heavy enough to start with:D

cabel or wireless? well, i do prefer wireless, and i cant feel or see or whatever a difference between cabled and wireless... except when the batteries are near empty... but, thats why one leaves his mouse in the charger while at work...

6. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I am 90% sure I would. I'll leave 10% for a possible surprise

7. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Spray a G5 and G7 black. Remove the chord from another G5 and attach it to the G7.
    Double blind test with the two identical mice.

Easy.

8. timmehtimmeh

timmehtimmeh Minimodder

Your review seems quite bias wouldn't you say? You seem to bash the product before you even use it.

Timmeh, it looks poo, get a proper mouse :p

9. CardJoe

It if comes across that way then its only because I used it before I wrote that I had used it, if you follow me. I've no reason to love or hate the mouse, I just ended up hating it.

10. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Moreover, Joe has several objective reasons to hate it, while I like it without knowing why. After a two hour stint on TF2, however, my hand hurts... a change back may be in order...

11. Jodiuh

Jodiuh What's a Dremel?

I have. It lagged.

Those of you that don't notice wireless lag, can't tell the difference between a laser or led mouse, don't mind a crt @ 75hz, enjoy gaming @ 30-45fps, and have no problem w/ loud fans or hdd's should be grateful. But for some of us, this stuff's noticeable...and unacceptable. Just keep an open mind and realize that we're not all alike.

FWIW, here's my current ranking/thoughts on some mice:

1. MX518
    Pros - very comfortable, surface keeps palm/thumb/pinky cool, lots of buttons and even more functionality w/ uberoptions, very precise tracking, on-the-fly switching, low liftoff, lightweight
    Cons - silly color, wheel doesn't side to side, annoyingly fat cord needs assistance (mouse bungie, twisty tie a foot up)
    2. MX510
    Pros - see above, blue color looks great
    Cons - slightly less precision and buttons
    3. DeathAdder
    Pros - extremely precise tracking, very tactile feeling primary buttons, long thin cord that doesn't get in the way, very low liftoff
    Cons - top gets warm and sides combine to make this uncomfy for prolonged gaming sessions, lack of buttons, great feet
    4. IE3
    Pros - kept me happy for a long time
    Cons - it's no 518 (honestly, it's been awhile since I've used it) :D
    5. Habu
    Pros - great feet, it lights up blue?
    Cons - laser engine just does not feel precise enough for me, fit 'n' finish (specifically the side buttons), bsoded my computer more than once
    6. G7
    Pros - it's almost comfy
    Cons - it weighs a bit too much, it's missing a button, it lags, the batteries need to be changed to often, laser engine
    7. MX1000
    Pros - lots of buttons
    Cons - it lags...a lot, laser engine
    8. G5 V2
    Pros - it got back it's button
    Cons - it looks like spidey had his way w/ it, it feels like spidey had his way w/ it, laser engine
    9. Copperhead
    10. Diamondback
    Both of these mice screwed up the side buttons completely and neither are anywhere near as comfy as the logi or some of razer's newest

I used the G9 briefly for a day and didn't care for the way my palm felt like it was dragging all over the mouse pad. The laser engine did seem quite nicer than previous G5 tho.

12. lepre

lepre Minimodder

stopped reading the article when you said 99.9% wouldn't notice wireless lag. lol

13. CardJoe

Aye, a lot of people have done. I can accept that a few people can notice it and, if Jodiuh has really tried that many mice etc then I believe him, but it gets to a stage when the response "no lag? lol" could only be taken as proof of my point that its more of an ingrained reaction in some gamers. For most gamers there's no difference between for a G7 and a G5 and, for those where there is a difference they can either state clear reasons or get their official sponsor to buy them a new mouse to try.

14. Bluephoenix

kneejerk comment about "if you can sense the difference, you must be pro" ? :eyebrow:

on another note, noticing lag is less about 'feel' and more about reaction times. for those (like me) who react very fast to things, they will notice the lag difference immediately, those with a slower reaction time will not notice.

15. CardJoe

Not a knee-jerk comment, but a belief that the people who have a legitimate reason to complain and can notice the difference enough for it to effect their gameplay would be pros or hardcore regular gamers.

16. Bluephoenix

I suppose most of us should take that as a compliment then :p

the other place I've noticed lag is when dealing with very fine details in CAD and image editing programs.

17. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

almost forgot that

this area is fantastic for the DPI adjustment and is an absolute necessity for professionals and enthusiasts alike

18. Jodiuh

Jodiuh What's a Dremel?

I'd like to add "folks that like instagib, but aren't pros" to the list of lag haters. :D And yes, I'm a mouse addict. It's taking all my strength to avoid picking up the Sidewinder from Fry's tonight as I'll be off for 3 days w/ a LAN party covering 2 of them. :(

Joe:
    I felt the DeathAdder had a def edge in precision tracking than the MX518. Have you had a chance to use them both? And if so, where would you place the Sidewinder? Thanks!!

19. CardJoe

Not used the MX518, but the DA is an excellent mouse which is far, far above the Sidewinder. As far as I'm concerned the DA and G7 are on equal playing ground. If you want to be wired just because all you do is gaming and you don't to risk lag, the DA is my suggestion. If you want to have a wireless mouse so you can sit back on the couch when you want then I'd go with the G7. That's why I have a DA at work and a G7 at home.

Oh, and if you need something heavy to throw at someone then I suggest the Sidewinder.

20. lepre

lepre Minimodder

i've tried lots of wireless mouse and i feel the difference with no problem...and that without playing too

Tags: Add Tags