1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Leak Testing

Discussion in 'Modding' started by DSquareD, 18 Oct 2007.

1. DSquareD

DSquareD What's a Dremel?

I have a quick question...
    I have never built a W/C loop and i am getting there with understand and have a few questions...
    how do the connectors and fittings work (mite have my a$$ excommunicated for that noob question)
    if i wanna do a leak test then isnt it better to not have anything hooked up to any components in case there is a leak and it shorts my system? i notice alot of ppl post in their porject logs pics of them leak testing in their actual (sumtimes brand new) systems...isnt that a bit illogical?
    is it safe to build all of my water blocks (CPU, GPU, HDD)

2. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Depends on the connector. If it's just a barb, puch the hose on and add a hose clam/cable tie.

It's ok as they aren't switched on. If there's a leak, then you can just clean them off and get them dry.

It's also easier to leak test in place, as it doesn't mean cutting and fitting the hose, then removing all the blocks/rad/etc. to test outside of the case.

How good are you at machining things?

3. dan-ere-07

dan-ere-07 What's a Dremel?

i dont think pure water conducts electricity , its the shemicals in tap water that make it some times conduct

due to all outer electron shells bein full in H2O

it needs a free electron to conduct electricity

4. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Essentially true. Deionized water won't conduct (remember it's only electrons in metals that conduct, in all other aqueous compounds it's the IONS which conduct).

But it's still not nice to have spilled on live electronics, especially if you've added ant-freeze/ant-fungicides etc.

5. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Also water is one of the most powerful solvents around; take it out of its sealed plastic or glass container and it's no longer pure. Spill it on a circuit board and it will quickly dissolve enough crap to conduct.

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I'd say let someone else build your GPU block. The big issue with video card blocks is the chips you need to cool are different heights. The tolerances are too high to do it yourself. Imagine what would happen if you made the contact surfaces for the memory touch, but there was a big gap over the main chip!