1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony begging PlayStation 3 developers to stay?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Oct 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mashles

mashles What's a Dremel?

i think it was released a little more than 12 weeks after the 360 :D

3. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Yep, i think Sony over-assumed too much with this console. They assumed they would/are the leaders in consoles and games (looking back on their track record for ps1 & 2), they assumed people would scrabble like headless chickens to get the ps3 when it came out, regardless of cost. They also assumed, and this is my biggest gripe, that us folks in Europe would accept any ridiculous price they set for the console. :(

Having said that tho, I do like the machine and think it has loads of potential. Shame they just didnt think ahead that any dev-unfriendly architecture is never going to make it better, even if you name is Sony!

4. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Seems to me the cell is to difficult to programme or someting else in hardware that is not easy to work with as a developer

5. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

my money is on all the 3rd party dev's seeing sence and going over to the Wii......</fanboy>

6. craigey1

craigey1 Minimodder

not having a go, but shouldn't the first line read "Sony has been having a tough time", rather then "Sony has been having a touch time".

I've noticed there are far more of errors on the articles of bit-tech recently, then there have ever been. I'm not saying that I or most others get it right all the time. In fact most of the time we don't, but I thought Bit-tech was a more professional site rather then just an enthusiast site.

I'd suggest writing must proof-read my articles 10 times before posting new articles. Perhaps asking a colleague to read through it too might help!

7. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

looks like the PS3 is this generations Sega Saturn, but could a developer friendly PS4 get them out of trouble or will they end up like sega and publish there games on other consoles......

8. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

If the PS3 is the Saturn, then assuming they survive to make a PS4, it will be the Dreamcast, and then Sony will turn into software house after that :D

9. CardJoe

Due to a different piece of news which took my attention away, I didn't manage to give this article as through a reading as usual - sorry! you'll understand later today hopefully.

10. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

I take it that was the Double Fine announcement? as it looks really good, just not sure about Jack Black voicing over the lead character.

11. inflatable

inflatable What's a Dremel?

1. I think the argument developers have to learn to program for a particular gameconsoles is overrated.. Sure they learn a few new optimazations overtime etc, but in the end you still have the same old hardware to work with.. Later generation games will run and look a bit better, but the differences are never night and day.. The differences between Xbox 360 and PS3 games are very minor to nonexisting.. The differences between the PS2 and Xbox also didn't change overtime, the same will happen with the Xbox 360 and PS3 I predict, games on both systems will remain looking the same.. I very much doubt developers will all of a sudden see the magic light and PS3 games will start to look much better then their Xbox 360 counterparts.. Sony just waisted a lot of time on making a special architecture that is to difficult to program for where MS has proven you can get the same results with a more well known architecture (if that what the Xbox 360 architecture is, because it's still a bit different from the PC)..

2. Developers are not gonna waist people on Wii-games even if they are cheaper to produce, for 1 simpel reason; 3rd party games don't sell on a Nintendo platform, never have, probably never will.. Look at the Wii gamesales, it's all Nintendo games again.. Xbox 360 and PS3 might be more expensive, but at least you know your games will sell on those platforms..

12. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

Cant say im sorry. I loved my PS2. Ive now got a 360.

But sony come along with PS3. And BOOOOOM WTF sony?

I waited for the PS3 to come out, i was going to buy one, but Sonys attitude just sucked.
    1. The Price----I WONT pay £600 quid for a console. I just want to play games.
    2. BlueRay ---- I nearly fainted in HMV when i saw the movie price ( there were films for £50) no wonder people pirate.
    3. The Joypad ---- No vibrate!!! ehhhh?
    4. Duff Games ----- Err where are the games... VF5 and errr...hmmm
    5. Backward Compatibility ---- for £600 quid it can play ALL of my PS games not just some....and now NONE!!!!!!!!
    5. Sony Bloody Attitude ---- We Pay your wages(or would have). Not the other way around. Just general trying to ******** us. Sixaxis, and no vibrate....cause you lost the court case to get vibration in your pads. No thats not next gen, no BC in the 40 gig...."it doesnt make the console cheaper". Sont take it out then?

Well lets hope for the PS4.

13. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Lol i cant help but smile. I want cheap prices, the games industry has been around long enough for it to become mainstream and offer cheaper consoles, games and hardware. Just yesterday my brother went to replace our two broken ps2 pads and they cost £20 each - are you fooking kidding me? £20 each is ridiculous and the goddam cheek of them to not make ps1 pads or memory cards compatible, or the multitap. is so frustrating! if i buy the ps3, its like i have to budget another £100 just for the accessories which is annoying as hell especially when they are identicle to the previous version....unbelievable!

And its that type of arragant attitude that has got them into this hole, i pray to god the ps3 fails and fails hard. I believe however it has potential and unless they seriously start offering fairer terms to consumers, especially the european market, they will continue to fall. They have taken us europeans for a ride far too long, its time they learnt the power of the consumer and how they will not be forced to buy their console just because every developer is enticed to join their wagon.

Why are we forced to pay higher prices? why not re-use the memory cards or joypads? the Wii has done it, it used SD micro cards for memory, i can carry it around in my phone! its clever thinking like that and thats benefited Nintendo. I pray the games come over to the Wii and a few years from now, Nintendo make the next generation console which is a powrhouse, stronger than the ps3 in hardware and able to develope graphically and awe aspiring games. The wii is good, its fun but i want eye candy, i love the gameplay but i want pretty graphics too, i want realism. The Wii's next generation offspring, i pray offers this as they now have a firm footing once more, its type to offer quality again from them, i hope they dont screw it up and become arragant like Phony.

ok im done ranting!
    =/

edit:

waaaay too many spelling mistakes for me to correct, too ill to bother, apologies :(

Last edited: 22 Oct 2007
  14. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Can anyone else hear violins :lol:

15. CardJoe

Not that. It will be the next piece of news going up, in just a few minutes.

16. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Im hoping to get one for christmas and this gossip wont throw me off. Im even considering selling my 360 if I dont get £280 together to by a PS3. I bet they will shift alot this christams with the 40GB model at £280.

17. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

I'd say the PS3 is this generations Saturn. However Sony will never go the way Sega did. Why? They have other sources of income and are a much larger company. They can take 10 times the financial hit Sega took with their failing hardware, if not more. I may pick up a PS3 next year though. The 80gig model has good backwards compatibility and there will be a few exclusives by then that I will want. Plus I plan on getting a real HDTV by then (I have a little 19" widescreen from way back).

18. knowyourenemy

knowyourenemy Professional Winner

"Developers, you have the honor of working on the finest gaming console ever presented before the world: the Playstation 3. However, developing for it is going to be a tricky feat - meant only for the strong of heart! For you see, we hold only two locations to develop in, of course, to prevent leaking and piracy of our proprietary rights. These locations will be provided free of cost to you and you will be given every resource Sony can afford aloft this panel designed for five men. That's right, every resource... on this panel... designed for five men... and suspended over a heated pool of green acid that stretches for twenty meters. We've already tried daisy-chaining the cables to robe yourself out, you don't have enough."

19. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

@Solidus: But that's where they make the money. Aside from Nintendo, consoles are sold at a loss initially. Sony and MS make their money from games licensing and accessory sales.

I feel your pain though, because although the consoles might reduce over time from several hundred pounds to maybe £99 by the end of their life, the accessories never reduce in line :(

20. fargo

fargo What's a Dremel?

I'm afraid thats what happens when console makers try to compete on a level with pc gaming as xbox360
    has certainly had its share of problems. long live pc game developers

Tags: Add Tags