1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony begging PlayStation 3 developers to stay?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Oct 2007.

1. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

It probably wouldn't be a problem, But the PS3 just doesn't have that many users (and that's compounded by the lack of decent games)

I mean, why do you want to set 4 teams worth of people just to get a PS3 game? especially when the PS3 probably only has 20% of the market (and I'm sure that's extremely generous, id guess more like 5%)

2. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Best quote by far there.

The main reason i really want the PS3 to fail at the moment is to give Sony a huge kick up the arse and reverse their truly staggering levels of arrogance and anti-consumer sentiment from the past few years.

There was a time that Sony, while a bit pricey, was a well respected brand name. That has changed...
    Certainly amongst my group of friends, Sonys name has gone from well respected to somewhere near RIAA level over the past few years.

So i do hope Sony really fail with this generation, so they can look back at what went wrong and reverse the changes :)

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Mine was too, but it just wasn't happening quickly enough, so I sold the thing. Other than Zelda and a couple things that didn't really appeal much to me, there was nothing worth playing at all. The 360 has an established platform and a solid user-base - as such, it has games worth buying.

Having said that, it's probably only the case because it came out a year early. If all three consoles had launched the same time, I expect the PS3 would be stronger than it is now. You've got two consoles competing on graphics, and while they're reasonably on par with each other, people might have paid the premium at the time given Sony's greater experience and the blu-ray player. Then, of course, you've got the Wii. TBH, I don't think it's really brought that much to the table this round after having owned one for months, but I think you'll see that accelerometer thing come into play strongly in the next generation of consoles - hopefully as a more-refined extension of the games rather than actually being the games (it works well for driving games and such, but quickly grows tiresome to flail the thing around like a sword. Though it works extremely well in Tennis despite being very similar in execution).

4. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

Pretty soon we can put the PS3 on the same shelf with the Dreamcast and the Saturn...

No company is more deserving of complete failure in my eyes. They can take their crappy console, Blu-Ray, DRM infected CDs and all of their failed proprietary formats and eat it. I'm not really sure why they expect consumers to lay back and be force fed their products, I happily go somewhere else.

5. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

I doubt Sony is "begging" developers to stay. Yes they are probably trying to appeal more to developers to stay with it, but hardly begging. I feel that devs are more or less sticking with PS3 as a viable platform due in part for the same reasons they stuck with Microsoft when they first entered the market. How many PS2's were sold compared to the Xbox? And yet still Bungie went ahead with Halo, Lionhead went ahead with Fable, and Bioware saw fit to release a follow up to KoToR despite the abysmal sales and bulky (and eventually refined) controller. You guys doom and gloom Sony like they are finished, and no developers want to develope for them at all. Level-5, a Sony developer, has state they probably NEVER will develope for Xbox again following their failed relationship with Microsoft with True Fantasy Online on the 360. Square-Enix and Konami are still developing flagships titles, despite being vocally concerned, and Namco hasn't abandoned them either. If anything Capcom is the only indicator of a developer Sony could possible be trying to convince to develope, but with the recent Lost Planet announcement, and the new PSN Commando's game in the works I doubt that is the case either.

I don't see any begging going on, but I'm sure you guys would love for it to be that way.

6. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I bet you have an Ipod. Anyway. force fed?? You dont have to buy their products so yes, go elsewhere.

I really find odd, the hatred everyone has against certain company’s. What have they done to you?? Its simple, just dont by it if you dont like it. What have they done to you?? The end of the day, no company can release a product that pleases everyone. There is always something people like to complain about. Sony or even MS didnt have to invest Millions in trying to create a powerful games machine for you and me to enjoy. They could just say f*** you, why should we make things that entertain you and just make nothing instead. Otherwise we will be stuck with only a WII and Ipod for 100 years. You need Sony and MS to keep the competition going to keep the development going. If not then everyone will get bored.

Yeah Blu-Ray is propriety, and so what. The 360 video downloads can only be played on my 360, isnt that propriety?? Pay money for a film and your screwed as you cant move it and watch on PC etc. Blu-Ray has not failed either because its outselling HD DVD.

And those that still complain about the price saying we are getting ripped off. They are loosing money so they are not doing any of the ripping off. Its consumers ripping them off demanding them to spend millions developing a product and expect to pay peanuts.

7. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Where have you been, its £280 - £350.

It has never been £600

Your moaning at £20?? My 360 pad was £35 and I have a 360 wheel for £80 which is awaiting to be replaced by MS. Plus Nintendo have split their controller into 2 parts to get more money than that, by charging you £15 for the Nunchuck and £30 for the Wii Mote. £45 !!!!! to have a complete controller!!!!! and then you have to buy a classic controller to play other games that the Wii mote dont work on. I find that unbelievable and a rip off.

8. Gizmo1990

Gizmo1990 What's a Dremel?

Wha wha wha..!? My vote for dumbest video games post this year surely. Congrats.

Go back and check your facts...:duh:

9. benjamyn

benjamyn What's a Dremel?

Resident evil 4 was the 2nd best selling Cube IIRC

10. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

:clap:

11. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

sony keeps screwing itself when it come to the PS3

12. evanbraakensiek

evanbraakensiek What's a Dremel?

[+]

Thought I should add, Sony pretty much equates to great build quality and design. Always has the best third party developer support and usually is the most technology advanced console in its respective generation. If I had the money, I would buy a PS3, there is no viable and worthwhile competition.

13. Gizmo1990

Gizmo1990 What's a Dremel?

Wow even more dumb stuff! This site is brilliant for ill informed games tosh.

Pretty much your entire post is plain wrong oh, except for the build quality and design part.

14. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

Well said

Also, i would like to add, the PS2 controller has pressure sensitive buttons (ever noticed while playing a driving game your speed depends on the force exerted on the button?)
    This actually means that the PS2 controller and PS1 controller are very different

So the PS1 controller cant exactly be made into a PS2 controller, i never understood the memory card issue, but as i already had a 32mb PS1 memory card, it really wasn't an issue

15. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Although I agree with this post, and being that this is a forum and not the front page, I still can't help but notice these errors :blush:

16. evanbraakensiek

evanbraakensiek What's a Dremel?

Name me one worthwhile title on either the Wii or 360 from a third party developer. Arguing that the PS3 isn't the most advanced console is a waste of time, since it plainly is.

17. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

atleast you acknowledged that the build quality and thermal design was better....o yeah and btw where was the 360 at less than a year after its launch? What was its competition....o yeah that's right EVERY game they came out with was amazing because there was NOTHING to compare it to....secondly, why do people continue to support a console that is prone to overheating (I mean for Christ's sake, the steering wheel overheats!).......

as big as Sony (or any company its size) is, all it takes is one department's mistake(s) to affect the entire organization, which btw I have seen people explaining as their reasoning for hating the PS3 even though the "matter at hand" had nothing to do with the console itself.....

or it's because they already own or will own a 360, and rather than accepting its inevitable existence in the marketplace they would rather have Sony...sorry I mean the PS3..."go away" or "fall off the face of the earth", yet in actuality they are afraid that the PS3 could take off and inevitably become the console everyone was expecting....

c'mon Joe, you should know better than that.....

Last edited: 23 Oct 2007
  18. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Honestly, I'm not for or against any of the consoles...all power to them.....each one has it's place....it's just when I hear/see things posted on here that just aren't right and need to be addressed.....that's when I post.....so dont' call me a f***ing fanboy

19. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

True to a point, but:

The music media arm of Sony = pure anti-consumer: summed up by expensive prices, forced kicking screaming into the online world, DRM and root-kits
    The music arm of Sony = started up the entire portable music system (walkman brand), only to completely throw it all away under pressure from the above
    Playstation brand = very good and competitive up to the PS2 range
    Playstation brand, PSP/PS3+ = threw away the above under extreme arrogance: high prices and the whole "you should feel privileged we're letting you buy one!" frame of mind from their PR dept.

Thats more than one department, it's a significant percentage...

Whilst i have some respect for the Sony brand of old, in recent years it seems Sony only opens their corporate mouth to exchange feet...

Note that i don't have a blind dislike for Sony, but if they'd go back to their customer policy they had about 5 years ago i'd be happy to buy their stuff, whereas i make a conscious effort to avoid anything by them at the moment...

20. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

firstly,
    i'm sure you meant twelve months :)

the reason many games will look similar is because they use the same assests - models, textures, sounds etc. you can be assured that the actual programming is very different between systems, as each console manufacturer (and their hardware partners) creates the SDK used to develop games for that platform. Sony's consoles have always been slightly harder to develop for, first with the Emotion Engine (some of the mapping effects had to be done in several passes, where as Nintendo and Microsoft allowed you to do it in just one), and now with the Cell chip, which was never suited to games programming in the first place (sure, its floating-point performance is brilliant, but when it comes to integer math and the like, its seriously let down...and writing code to effectively use 7 cores must be a b*tch as well)

i'd beg to differ. there are many devs who have already jumped ship (one of Capcom's games, the name of which escapes me at the moment, has moved completely from PS3 to Wii). and while it is true that Nintendo's games sell the best on its own console, which first party games for other consoles don't? Multi-platform games have never quite sold as well on Nintendo consoles as they have on other consoles (FIFA, Madden for example), but other 3rd party efforts (like Resident Evil 4) have done very well :)eyebrow::eeek:yeah, a mature game selling well on a Nintendo console, who'd have thought?)

Developers go where the market goes, its all about business and money in the end

Tags: Add Tags