1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits Build your own server

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 5 Jun 2007.

1. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

Code:
    mysqladmin –u root –pmypassword create torrentflux

2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

I think you copy/pasted from the site... The bit website uses a different encoding/font or something, which makes it go haywire. Just type the command yourself and it should be ok (I hope)

3. epfjr

epfjr What's a Dremel?

Great article - everything seems to be working except smartFTP I am receiving a "code 530 Login Incorrect". I am using the same login & password that I use for Samba - correct? I have no problem connecting with Samba or by typing the IP address into Internet Explorer.

I have used the fixes posted here to correct the proftpd.conf issue and am successful and stop/restart of this file.

I am very new to all this --- please help --- I am pulling my hair out.

Thanks, epfjr

4. spaggy

spaggy What's a Dremel?

Thanks a lot Glider, I never thought it'd be as easy as that. :)
    Listen to this though: when I'm in nano editing the config.php file in torrentflux_2.3/sql/html, I type my password exactly where it's supposed to be between the two "s like in your image.
    http://www.bit-tech.net/content_images/2007/06/build_your_own_server/torrentflux12.jpg

I go ctrl+x, y, but when I try to end it with enter, the error: [ Error writing config.php: Permission denied ] appears. What sort of permission do I need for this to work?

5. completemadness

SmartFTP uses an FTP password, not the samba password, these are 2 seperate things
    (like SSH password, Samba Password, MySQL password, FTP Password, User Password, etc etc)

you need to sudo the nano, sudo nano /path/to/file

This is because the file is made by root, and you don't have permission to edit it

Glider works from a root shell (sudo su) however this is generally strongly unrecommended (as it mainly negates the point of sudo)

6. epfjr

epfjr What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the reply, but I am still confused...

7. spaggy

spaggy What's a Dremel?

Thanks completemadness, it worked. I'm beginning to understand this now. :)

8. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

AFAIK: ProFTPd uses the standard one, which means the groups and users defined in Linux. smb uses it's own set of files.

9. completemadness

Ah OK, hes used ProFTP

As DougEdey said, it uses standard UNIX accounts, samba makes its own accounts, as does SSH and other things

10. Glider

Glider /dev/null

try, in a term
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/proftpd restart
    No, I don't, this is probably because the user extracted the tar as root. I'm quite strict about using root myself, only when needed. And the sudo way of Ubuntu is about the worst way of doing administrative tasks

ProFTPd does use pam and shadow, the Linux standard password backend, so does SSH indeed. Samba uses a separate one.

11. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

Is it just me or does www.torrentflux.com not actually exist?

Can anybody recommend a place to download the latest version?

12. Glider

Glider /dev/null

13. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

Cheers Glider :thumb:.

And kudos on the server guides, it's the reason I now have a working linux box without a smashed monitor or keyboard :)

14. mikealex

mikealex What's a Dremel?

This is a great article! Thanks Glider!

15. curiouscat

curiouscat What's a Dremel?

I recently upgraded to Gutsy Gibbon and now I cannot log in as root using Ultra VNC from another desktop. Logging in as root via SSH (using PuTTY) works just fine, but I'm not really a CLI kinda-girl =). I still like to see the pretty wallpapers I installed on my Xubuntu box. Anyone have a tip for this issue? Thanks lots!

16. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Don't log in as root! log in as a user. X11VNC runs as a user (not as root!) for a reason.

Try creating the SSH tunnel as non-priviledged user and connect to the VNC session.

On a side note, by default you can't SSH in as root on a Ubuntu install, because root hasn't got a password set...

17. curiouscat

curiouscat What's a Dremel?

Thanks for prompt response, Glider. I'm such a noob that I was confusing myself, mostly...LOL. All is well now. And thanks for such a great guide. =)

18. statmonkey

statmonkey What's a Dremel?

Great stuff but I seem to be missing some little detail somewhere. I have no problems with ftp, samba or putty but the VNC part is killing me.

I get the proper response from the vncpasswd ~/.vnc/passwd

When I type in: echo 5901 > ~.vnc/port
    I receive:
    -bash: /home/statmonkey/.vnc/port: Permission Denied

When I attempt to connect using vnc it asks for the password I set and then tells me VNC authentication failed!

I have tried reading through all of the comments to no avail, google, etc. Also have attempted as different users. sudo, without sudo, etc. but can neither get the first command to work nor get connected in VNC.

I am not using an international keyboard so that isn't it. As I said everything else seems to work fine and went smoothly. Just not sure what I missed. Any ideas?

19. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Can you post the output of
    Code:
     ls -al /home/statmonkey/.vnc 
    I think you created the directory as root, without permissions to write in it for the user.

20. statmonkey

statmonkey What's a Dremel?

Hmm, that would mean I created the /.vnc directory with sudo instead of just a straight mkdir? Here is a screen shot. I know just enough to be completely dangerous. I thought I was going to be smart and pipe it into nano and then cut and paste. I got about halfway there before I realized I didn't know the commands, blah, blah. So I ended up having to rerun it several times before I could get a screen shot.

[img=http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/4629/lsvncfc0.th.jpg]

Tags: Add Tags