1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Leopard unveiled for Apple Macs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 26 Oct 2007.

1. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

I'll still stick to my PC and OSX86 :p

Speaking of which - gonna try to port the kernel/kext's from 9A257 onto the final - should be fun! xD

/Fr4nk

2. K

K 528491

Been on it a lot today. Had A LOT of people buy it. Think that the interface in general is greatly improved over Tiger, which is an achievement in itself. The new Finder with Quick Look is just ridiculously useful. Spaces has to be the best implementation I've seen of virtual desktops so far, to be blunt, it's fast-as-****. Get my copy on Monday. Can't wait. If I wasn't getting it for free I'd definitely have bought it today, and been more than happy it.

3. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

I'm planning on picking it up tomorrow. According to my reciept I got my MacBook on the 9th of October so I should get the £5 upgrade.

4. K

K 528491

You have to do the Up-To-Date programme through the Apple Online Store, not in a Retail Store. Just to save you the journey if that's what you were expecting by dropping in to Buchanan St. I mean.

http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/uptodate/

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

can i just ask a question: (i had a long arguement with a very good friend, who is a Mac lover, about this while waiting for Crysis to download)
    how does Leopard manage to run 32bit in 64bit kernel?

i thought, from the 64bit article, that 32bit requires some sort of emulation. but on Wikipedia, they said no need for emulation software.

my friend said they are run in universal mode, which i said is another word for "32bit emulation". but he just refuse to believe me instead of the Apple marketing websites.

6. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Writing this from a MBP: Look you mac-loving fanboys wetting your pants. Stop it already!

The price of Windows XP (2001): approx. $200
    The price of Windows Vista Ult. (2007): approx. $200
    We are of course talking OEM licenses as this is only a fair assumption.

Of course it should also only be a fair assumption that XP came with your PC just like you got OSX 10.0 with your mac. So that's $200 in total on the PC.

Let's even say you bought Vista Ultimate Retail... That would be around $500? Giving you a total of: $500 (Org OS, Service packs, new OS, etc. included)

Lets say you were upgrading according to Apples release scheme:
    I presume the price has been the same each year. At the moment it's $129.
    We are fair and assume that you got X 10.0 with your hardware so that's $129 saved there.

Then there has been five more iterations of "Big Cats". Each running at $129
    Hmmm... 5 times 129... can it be? Could it be that it is more than "Vista Ultimate Super Deluxe 2000+ Extra Special Double Glacing"?

Lets even pretend that the Mac guy has been studying for the full 6 years (he must be darn close to a candidate degree soon we hope) that would amount to: 5x129= 645 x0.85 = $548.25

So stop the fanboying. It doesn't look good on anyone.

And yes I do really like my MBP and I think OS X does some things better than Windows :)

7. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

No Flux Capacitor!!! Great Scott!!

8. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

A 64bit cpu is fully capable of proccesing 32bit,16bit and 8bit instructions and if used as a genral purpose pc will spend almost all its time doing as such. As for the kernal I know nothing about them but just because a cpu is 64bit dosen't mean it loses the capabilty to proccess shorter instructions.

9. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

But in leopard all the libraries, Cocoa and such are fully 64-bit. It'd be kind of confusing for a 32-bit application to rely on 64-bit libraries?

10. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

The next person to say Tiger was 2 years ago should be banned and/or beaten up... :rolleyes:

Got some friends telling me like every day how unbelievably godlike OSX is but I still don't feel the need to get an IMO (and please no flaming, it's just MY OPINION) overpriced piece of hardware to run an OS I don't really see to be that much better than Windows.

11. desertstalker

desertstalker What's a Dremel?

I suspect OSX would handle running 32 bit apps on a 64bit kernel and libs in the same way that Linux/Unix does. You have 2 sets of the key libraries one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit so that any legacy apps can still access the 32-bit libs. There would also need to be provisions in the kernel to allow 32-bit execution (simple option in Linux kernel, I don't know for sure but suspect it is the same for Unix)

12. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

The only thing I hate about Apple is the rabid fanboys.

13. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

Forgive me for my ingorance but there seems to be an argument over when Tiger was released. What the hell is that about?

14. mikealex

mikealex What's a Dremel?

I'm suprised that the Mac vs. PC debate hasn't gotten violent on this forum yet. Although it's a matter of taste, I personally prefer Mac and I think that Leopard is great. Apple took a good thing and made it better.

15. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Hm. You're lucky we have a mac user in charge of the ban-hammer. ;)

16. mikealex

mikealex What's a Dremel?

I'm not trying to knock windows. It certainly has made plenty of people very happy. Windows, OSX, I also use Linux, they all have their ups and downs. But out of them I prefer OSX. That doesn't mean that I think Windows is bad. For one, it is MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to program for.

17. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

Ironically for a new media business we have 2 macs in use (a couple of others which are being used as coffe table legs at the moment). One in the office is used for the few applications which we absolutly cannot get a decent windows equivalent of, and the other the boss takes to customers and the conferences we run to make all the executives feel more comfortable about us.

Macs were just too expensive when the business was getting setup, so PC waas the way to go. We actually have some original Dell PCs floating around. Since we have always used PCs there was no motive to change even as we got bigger. When I compare the prices of PC worksations to the equivalent powermac, I still can't justify the price premium. Especially when we get such cheap windows licences thanks to our ties to MS.

18. chrisuk

chrisuk What's a Dremel?

I just got leopard and finished installing and playing around. Not overly impressed, there isn't that much thats really obviously and the dock feels slightly more sluggish. Time Machine is VERY cool and I haven't noticed it working away in the background which is a bonus. Still, I felt EXACTLY the same about Vista - a whole lot of meh. At the end of the day an OS should do what it says on the tin, which OSX does, as does Vista (to some extent, r.e. performance ratings, turning effects on/off automatically/by default etc.)

I prefer the mac experience to the windows one, and don't mind the slight premium to have that. At the end of the day if I'm pleased with my mac, and someone else is pleased with there dell/hp/asus machine then everyone's a winner, right?

19. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

Ive not used OSX for a while now, but it sounds like this new one is much the same as Vista a pretier GUI, tweaks under the hood and some new toys.

I also think the problem is in terms of OS dev we have reached a platau of sorts, back in the early days there was a lot of innovation to be had and the desktops started to get prettier more functional. But now regardless of which OS you use, you have a start button, a task bar and a desktop. As a population I think we have got to lazy to learn a new interface and a new way of using our PCs. People now just want to switch it on and it to work they dont want to have to learn a how new way of operating a PC.

Kimbie

20. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I don't have a start button :confused:

Tags: Add Tags