1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer fun

Discussion in 'General' started by mikealex, 28 Oct 2007.

1. mikealex

mikealex What's a Dremel?

I was looking around on the forum, and I didn't see any threads about fun tricks/games/jokes to play on people and their computers! Now, I know, it's mean to be harmful, so none of that. But harmless, amusing jokes? fun. I'll start.

Coming to mind is the classic desktop screenshot trick. Take a screenshot of someone's desktop, then remove their shortcuts and icons. Then, set their background as the screenshot you took. I've seen people click on their empty desktop for five minutes, then restart their computer claiming "it froze" when nothing opened.

Now your turn. Any good ones out there? (Maybe someone else can be more original than me:))

2. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

Put a regular piece of Scotch tape over the eye of an optical mouse. Makes them utterly useless while doing no damage. Aggravates the hell out of anybody.

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Take an old floppy disk apart and fill it with ground up match head dust (be very careful when sanding/scrapping it off) then put it back together, leave it lying around near the PC and wait.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

^^^ Erm... harmless?

5. Lian Li Lover

Lian Li Lover What's a Dremel?

Alt Shift and Print screen is my favourite

6. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

What will happen?

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Supposedly the friction of the disk being read will cause the match dust to ignite inside the drive. Never tried it myself.

8. sammo1999

sammo1999 What's a Dremel?

When I was in high school most rooms had projectors hooked to the computers. The projectors were plugged into the VGA on the computer and the monitors were plugged into the projector. Switching the two VGA cords on the projector was great fun. Not even the "Computer Genius, Gods Gift To Us, Computer Guy For The District" could figure it out. (I hate that man, but thats another story.)

9. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

My guess; since everyone would play with the sliding cover, there'd be a nice flash fire.

10. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

If you are sitting next to someone who irritates you on a plane or
    train....

1. Quietly and calmly open up your laptop case.

2. Remove your laptop.

3. Turn it on.

4. Make sure the guy who won't leave you alone can see the screen.

5. Open this email.

6. Close your eyes and tilt your head up to the sky.

7. Then hit this link:
    http://www.thecleverest.com/countdown.swf

11. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Adding people's most visited sites to the hosts file is always good for a laugh.

EDIT: A Vista trick is to set the glass window borders to something stupid like 200px and then have people wonder why every window is surrounded by a pane of glass 200px thick.

12. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

The projectors in my Uni are Panasonic ones which have wireless access. A little google and searching on the Panasonic site and it was really easy to find and download the software. Then I could overrule whatever the lecturer had up and put what I wanted up. Plenty o' YouTube and Badger Badger. Also put up a notice saying "Gangbang on Friday, meet at 8pm in the Union, Bring Lube!!"

Also, download this picture http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup.php?id=4045318 get it full screen then disconect the mouse and keyboard. Wait.

13. oddball walking

oddball walking ...!

Remove the ctrl alt and del keys from older systems.

I did it at school once it had win 95 on it.:naughty:

14. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I had a virus once the replaced anything you copied and pasted with "Hello!", quite irritating if you could track it down...

I guess you could use the nVidia screen rotate thing to annoy someone :yawn:

15. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I know that my brother has AVG Anti-Virus...
    So this is what I did...

I made a simple Flash application and turned into a stand alone exe with a third party program (or publish it as an exe with Flash, and modify the icon to a blank icon... Yet not looking perfect as the real thing, it's good enough as you don't see that message everyday) I got to google, and looked for AVG Virus alert dialog box in high quality. Import it on the Flash project (File>Import), set the stage the same size as the picture, and your set.
    Now I got to my brother computer when he wasn't there, modify his mozilla firefox icon to launch my program, but still has the Mozilla icon, and left.
    When he came back home (he was out) and use his computer, Surprise! Virus alert!

Silly, harmless, panics.

And if you want to take it further, you can make the button show error messages, as if the virus cannot be deleted. That will make panic :)

Another trick is, to make an application fullscreen, set to kiosk mode, and transparent background and put it at startup (in the startup folder). Save his works before running, as he might reboot the comp and lose his/her work.
    Run it and leave. When your the user will come.. poof! nothing works!
    To remove it, on reboot simply press and hold Shift, it will not run the startup programs in the startup folder. And remove it.

16. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

If someone is using a wireless mouse and you'll be within range of that person for the day (Cubicle mate etc.) unplug their mouse and plug yours into their computer. Then whenever they go to move their mouse fling yours in a random direction.

17. mikealex

mikealex What's a Dremel?

uh... harmless?;)

18. Spacecowboy92

Spacecowboy92 Gettin' Lazy

In word, autocorrect and or the or another common word for something completley diffrent.
    And the old 'throw the computer out the window' trick never fails.

19. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Download thousands of music tracks and movies onto a friend's harddrive, then make a phone call to the RIAA and MPAA.

Hilarity ensues. Oh how they will laugh!

20. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Remove the pins on the power cord for computer and/or screen and plug it back into the wall.

Just be careful to remove the ENTIRE pin. Just making bad contact could cause arching and possible fire!
    (Depends on how your country's power outlet design is, but you might have to leave one pin so that the plug won't fall out. )

Oh, and a variation of the tape under mouse sensor-thing:

get some semi-transparent tape. Stick it under the sensor and test how it works. It should work, but very not as good as it should. you may need to find a waterproof marker and put a dot under the sensor as well. The balance is veeery fine.

I did both thing to a colleague at work.

I also zip tied hes monitor upside down under the warehouse ceiling. (and connected a laptop to it running a powerpoint presentation (made upside down)
    And replaced hes harddrive.
    oh! And stuffing a keyboard with paper and cress seeds when someone is on vacation is a winner. (just remember to water it daily.)