1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

not that much more speed then the 6850 then (ant this an Tock chip (tick tock))

Q6600 @ 3.2-3.4Ghz match it (for most tests) as well saveing you £500 for it as well (the extra cache has to help some how)

3. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

bah bring on the cheaper units, dammit

4. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Is it just me, or is there a terrific amount of unused die-space around the ends of the L2 cache? :eyebrow:

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Not as amazing as I thought it'd be, but still pretty damn good.

6. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I'll take three.

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Hm, the thing I love most is that ten months or so ago this would never have interested me and I never would have understood it. Now, it interests me enough to read it before going to work and I can understand some of it. Nice one Tim!

8. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I'm impressed by those power consumption figures. It's about time AMD caught up.

9. naokaji

naokaji whatever

sadly the prices for the intel xtreme editions are also extreme...

well, i'll just wait for the cheaper 45nm quads to come along.

10. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

woo, looks pretty, i want i want i want.

Sam

11. Seraphim Works

Seraphim Works What's a Dremel?

Considering conroe hasn't actually been around that long, it's quite impressive that Intel have migrated to 45nm quite successfully. The power figures are always good news, 45nm notebook processors should be quite frugal.

As for the overclocking, it'll be interesting to see how the lower clocked mainstream parts do at the beginning of next year. Especially as new steppings will be introduced (e.g G0 for the Q6600) which should make power requirements even lower!

All in all I'm quite happy, I've got a p35 board ready for 45nm quad sometime next year. Should be quite a nice jump in performance for little cost.

12. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

I thought that Hard OCP had done well, then I come to BT, and see a rather not so amazing cooler getting this beast to 4.35 ghz. Water at Hard as well. Let me see how many friends I can sell...

13. 3dHeli

3dHeli What's a Dremel?

Interesting that March 2008, seems to be date for wider availability of the new 45nm desktop CPU from Intel (Penryn).

A tiny little bit dissapointed (but not altogether surprised) that it's not the dramatic performance boost that dual core originally was . . . . so feel a decision to get the Q6600 today is still a valid one. Although I have yet to see the most relevent tests for me of Photoshop and sony vegas video editing. For my photoshop work I think memory and hard disc speed are more bottle necks than cpu.

Was surprised by the reduced power consumption compared to the Q6600 . . . as other reports had stated the same TDP for both (or maybe even higher I think for the QX9650), which I'd previously thought was a usefull guide . . . I'm not so sure now.

Last edited: 29 Oct 2007
  14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well overclocking is entirely CPU (and motherboard) dependent and these are ES chips remember, not retail. We may simply just be lucky (for a change).

Heli - we could spend all day/all year doing every different bit of software but we have covered video encoding with two different codecs and software, as well as image manipulation using Paint.NET :)

Roto - it's just representative mate, don't read into it too much. EDIT: Ahh crap!! I completely forgot I've got a ton of die pics on the camera so I'll whip them out and we can see what the actual dies look like.

Afaik Intel is supposed to release several 45nm processors in Jan, then later (as yields increase and depending on what the competition does) more speed versions. Where'd you read March?

15. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

Great article. Got a bit of a typo though "The difficulty in working with projected guidelines before a process is properly developed is fully evident with Tejas - the 90nm process was not was it cracked up to be" to "was not what it was cracked up to be"

16. Tim S

Tim S OG

Thanks, I'll fix that - my eyes were getting dreary at 5am this morning (and I've not been to sleep yet!) ;)

17. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I must say that you guys' hard work is really appreciated tbh, some awesome reviews, as usual. :)

18. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

I'm surprised that AMD is sitting idly at 90nm SOI. I really hope they pull a clincher SOON or else... else... I have nothing else to buy and Intel can sweep prices.

19. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I'm pretty sure that they're using a 65Nm process..

20. Tim S

Tim S OG

Only X2 5000+ and below at the moment. Phenom is also 65nm :)

Tags: Add Tags