1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TribalOVERKILL's LiquiD EVOLUTION

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by tribaloverkill, 3 Jun 2007.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Nope. -Hyper fits him well, especially after reading some of the coffee-powered updates.:D
    I freaks me out how fast you work sometimes.

2. Teyber

Teyber ******

2-3$ sounds pretty reasonable to me! yeah ive been crazy buisy at school. My classes suck.... Have been reading lots of logs but don't have time to post anymore. haha a 66lb sliding vice? jeeze, what size is that beast? and new drill press? what kind is it?

I love your fast updates, you must be one of those people that don't sleep....(not joking, literally i know some people that never sleep)

3. nibble

nibble What's a Dremel?

Ooh drool worthy, those UV led shots look good. Where do you get your led's tribal? It can be hard to find decent ones that actually emit much UV light.

4. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Id be keen to know this as well as they really look like spotlights! :)

5. tribaloverkill

tribaloverkill Who needs sleep,... bah.

I get my LED's off ebay and they come directly from a hong kong factory.

6. Teyber

Teyber ******

haha nice tribal! keep those sweatshop workers busy! idle hands are the devils workshop eh?(lol just joking)
    sorry for threadjack but www.ledshoppe.com has bulke led's for crazy cheap...

tribal, if i may be as bold to ask the master a favor... want to include some pics of the new tools in your next update?

7. tribaloverkill

Idle hands are the devils workshop. Thats not a joke. People that have nothing to do and stand around all day doing nothing are the ones that cause trouble, create crime. They have nothing better to do.

Teyber,... I posted tons of pics of my new stuff only a few updates ago,...

Last edited: 30 Oct 2007
  8. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Looks ace!

9. theAlien

theAlien I know what a Dremel is....

yep :thumb:

Alan

10. tribaloverkill

You guyz have to see this propeller I'm designing now! It's hot! It's going to work so damn good! Going to spin the FX's faster, stronger, and smoother. No more pulsing. I'll show you later. I'm almost done with the LED plugs. I have like 50+ LED plugs now:) Going to start the props right after.

11. Qhs

Qhs µ modder

Que Daft Punk's Harder Better Faster Stronger :rock:

12. tribaloverkill

PHEW! LED plugs,...... done.

Oct-30-2007

Ok,... so this is the last 19 I made? I need more.
    [​IMG]

32 more. Why so many? To learn. To learn what? To learn how to be as productive as possible. What to do and when to do it kind of stuff. This is help me with other stuff from here on in. I corrected any mistakes I made with the first sets. I got so good at making these now:) These new ones I near perfect:)
    [​IMG]

Cutting the ends down to the diameter needed for theading. This is actually cool. I was using an acylic tube just to toos them in when done. They fell inside in such a wya that their own weight supported them inside the tube. LOL. I slid it off the table over a box and they didnt fall. first thing came to mind,... get a pic!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

So I used the vises measuring collar to set how how in to go,... everyone of these is exactly .5". God I love.
    [​IMG]

so beautiful to me.
    [​IMG]

Had to empty my shop vac because it just wasnt sucking good enough. This is what I found. A S@#$load of acrylic! I have enough here to cast a whole new sheet! LOL. This was emptied a lttiel bit ago. LOL. This is all from the past few weeks.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

So nice,... so perfect.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

All threaded. I need a better way of threading. I need a way of threading more evenly. I need to rig my old vise into a threading machine. I need foot pedals, forward and reverse. You think running the press motor backwards would harm it? Reversing the polarity? I dont think so because isnt this how they reverse a hand held drill?
    [​IMG]

Delicious.
    [​IMG]

O-rings installed. Going home,...
    [​IMG]

At work,... here what Im thinking about doing for a propeller. I need something that is simple to make. I dont want the factory dealing with a load to little pieces,... peicing them all together, gluing multiple spots. I need as few pieces as possible. So this is it. Each propeller will consist on two identical peices which will be offsetted from each other. In this example,... I am using 3 blades but I have a feeling that I will use 4 blades per piece, 8 blade total per prop. Theres a reason.
    [​IMG]

I designed this so that is easy for even me to make. I can turn cut the outer diameter. Drill out a few spot and then make a few cuts with the scroll saw. I need to make a very specific jig for forming them.
    [​IMG]

Once formed,... well the pics explain the rest.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now,.. heres the thing with teh number of blades. There are a few variables I'm taking into consideration here. #1: The total height of the prop. I do not want the total height to exceed a 1/2". Anything more would be cutting into the space used for the FX. I dont want the propeller so big that it steal the attention away fromt eh spinFX. BUT! I am definitely,... seeing highly designed props coming very soon, in different colors too:) Because these props do look cool:) Now, #2: Blade angle. I want anywhere from 30 - 40 degrees even though in the pics it says 20 - 30. Having more of an angle will have a lot of torque to get the FX turning. This is what I want. Going about 45 degrees take away from the torque. Above 45 degrees means less torque and slower turning. Less then 45 degrees means less torque but faster turning. Possibly faster. The FX is in water so it can only turn so faster,... so technically, it would be about as fast as being above 45degrees. Understand? To little of an angle, it might not turn at all. So the idea is to stay as close to 45 degrees as possible. #3: I want the blade to atleast meet end to end and if possible overlap a bit to creat a constant motion. any gaps in between means a loss of thrust. Holy s@#% I sound like a friggin engineer or scientist or something. ha ha ha. so yea.
    [​IMG]

I'm goign to be using 1/16" acrylic to make these. I think that is a very good thickenss for what Im using it for. I was even thinking about trying 1/32". It is suprisingly strong. once the two pieces are positioned,... they are glued together in the center. They will be slid on a 1/4" shaft and then glued there.
    [​IMG]

Again,... I'm thinking about doing 4 blades. If you tilt these blades of the 3 blades design,... I am thinking it will excedd the 1/2" target height.
    [​IMG]

Back to the LED plugs,... Done! These are the ones Im sending to acryan.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

What a lovely specimen we have here,... i love the flat sides. Makes so much sense to me.
    [​IMG]

Awesome.
    [​IMG]

With some danger den fittings,...
    [​IMG]

With Koolance,..
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

What do you guys think!

13. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Nice prop! I can't wait to see what you come up with to bend it. The center is going to want to warp and the blades will be a beast to keep even. Maybe a set of polished aluminum copies you could use to press the plexi?

The plug blanks in the tube would look cool as a tank full of fake ice cubes.

14. tribaloverkill

Yeah,... the center has to stay perfectly level with the blades at angle. The small area between the blade and the center is whats going to actually be bent. An awkward bend too. One side up and one side down. But it doesnt have to bent much to achieve the blades angle. This shouldnt be to hard. I'm going to get started as soon as I get off work here at the hospital.

Instead to making aluminum versions,... Im goign to make my jig out of wood. Its goign to take several steps to make but once its made its made. Theres going to be a top and bottom. Both having the same shape. They will fit together sandwiching the prop in between. There will be like stopping points to keep te blades evenly spaced during the process. You'll see.

I'm going to the 4 blade design, 8 total per prop. The 3 blade design once the blades are at angle will be taller then 1/2". I dont know by how much but I do know it will be. I'm just going to play it safe and go with the 4 blades. I cant wait to get started:)

15. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Those are some wicked props, good luck on making the wig :)

16. tribaloverkill

Thanks.

17. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

man oh man, you gotta respect all the superb acrylic work... :thumb:

18. tribaloverkill

Thanks. Can I get a beer for all this hard work mr. belgium beer brewer?

19. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

damn, awesome intricate acrylic work going on here :thumb:

20. tribaloverkill

Damn I'm tired!!!! OMG. The propeller is almost here!

Nov-01-2007

Here's the 4 blade design that I was going to go with but I thought,... what the hell. I just want to go with a one piece prop. So,...
    [​IMG]

One piece prop I will make,... the reason why I didn't want to go with the one piece design initially is because I wanted the blades to overlap for more continuous thrust. I cant get them to overlap with a one piece design. But then I thought,... is it going to make that much of a difference?!?!? Maybe,... maybe not. What I do know is that if I go with the one piece design,... it will work undoubtly.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Goodness gracious thats hot.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Time to break out the .06 acrylic. This stuff is perfect for the props,...
    [​IMG]

Here I'm turn cutting them down to a target diameter of 2". This stuff is kind of hard to turn cut because its very flexible and thin. There was a lot of shattering until I got down far enough where it was a more continuous cut.
    [​IMG]

Very cool.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm liking it already:)
    [​IMG]

See how thin it is compared to the regular 1/8" we use.
    [​IMG]

This one is going to be the template to the holes. The purpose of the holes is to shorten the area of material where the blades meeter the center. I am drilling because it's easier then scroll sawing something different. Get me?
    [​IMG]

Center punched,...
    [​IMG]

Goign to drill all of them at once. I bolted them to this wood so I have more to hold on to while drilling and because its easier to pass the bit through the last disc.
    [​IMG]

Done.
    [​IMG]

This looks cool!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Almost there!
    [​IMG]

Now I marked a couple of these like this so I can easily line them up for the cut.
    [​IMG]

Crazy dangerous buts works like a champ. The blade is actually very thin. a tiny bit smaller then 1/16". But it cuts at 1/16" because its got a slight shimmy to it.
    [​IMG]

HOT!!! Not done but HOT! OMG these are going to come out pro!!! WOW! LOL.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]