1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

bar soap and a hair cut

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I bought the lot online from Plumb World in their sales. Cheap as chips.

Bar soap? Soap made from beer? Really hard soap? Soap used at a bar?

3. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Here in the UK we don't get snow, we get slush and I swear, before it even hits the ground it already smells of petrol and is brown.

I was actually looking into buying a board and some boots. If I go on a snowboarding holiday for the next 2 years I'd make my money back. Also, I wouldn't come home with buckled toes and feet that look like someone tied a rubber band round my ankles.

4. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Box of PG tips.

"Why" I hear you ask. Well, thanks to this purchase, my computer will pwn yours, regardless of specs...

[​IMG]

My god..it's true I have no life...

5. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Thermaltake TR2 RX 450w PSU, 35quid.

Sam

6. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

gigabit switch and 100' of ethernet cable. i thought i only ordered 30', so now i have an extra 70' of cable sitting in the corner of my room.

oh, and donuts.

7. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i also bought a pair of these recently. i bet the road hurts more than whatever weird fake snow you guys are using.
    i can't wait until we get our snow.

8. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Those rollerskiis look pretty cool. As far as fake snow, it's from water in snow making machines. It's cold enough up in the hills to start making a base early on. After the first couple real snows they can open at least a run or two.

9. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Get some burton Moto's. Really nice boots and not all that expensive!

10. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

Er... right.

11. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

A couple of things arrived for me from Scan today:

An MS ergonomic keyboard and mouse pack, bought it mainly for the keyboard but a spare mouse will come in handy. It's gonna take a while to get used to, the space bar is a little stiff and I can't type too well if I look away from it now. Not sure whether to use the palm lift thingy, it's a bit high with it on really.

I've also bought a wolfking warrior as I'm sure an ergonomic keyboard is a bit crap for gaming.

That brings my keyboard total to 5 now, the two today, my old eclipse, my roll up rubber one and cheap PS/2 one for the occasions when I reinstall XP.

EDIT: Plus a free fiver for doing an OFCOM survey :D

Last edited: 30 Oct 2007
  12. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

I don't use it with the riser...bit too weird for my liking. Just try it flat without the back legs up either.

<A88>

13. will.

Cheers, I've just been to my local snow sports shop and had a peek. I recently trod on a glass and have shards in my foot, so I couldn't try anything on :)wallbash:) but they look really good for the price! Now I need to find a board... Although it is not as important as the boots as I'm not really good enough for the board to make a difference :p

14. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

No no no!! Choosing a boot is completely, completely subjective and dependent on how they feel on your feet. Everyones feet are different, and blindly recommending someone a particular boot is about as helpful as recommending someone a particular prescription for their reading glasses (that may be a slight exaggeration). Go into the shop when you can try on boots, and just try on every pair they have in your size. I'm not going to go into ridiculous amounts of detail here but any reputable snowboard shop with knowledgeable staff will tell you what you should be looking for. In terms of picking a shop, large chains like snow and rock are a bad choice because a) the staff won't have as much time for you, and b) the staff won't all be snowboarders, there will be skiers there too. Without knowing where you are it's difficult to recommend a shop, but Sputnik in Marlow are great, the woman who runs it really knows her stuff (she tests for the Bible, a yearly compendium of snowboarding product reviews). Another good 'un is SS20 in oxford (although I haven't been there since Kieron stopped working there so I don't know how much they are involved with snowboarding kit now).

Don't be afraid to keep the boots on for a good while, and just walk around the shop. Stand still for longish periods with heavy pressure on your toes as this vaguely replicates traversing on your toe edge, which is a common time that riders start to feel discomfort. You should be conscious of any discomfort whatsoever in this area, across the top and outside of your ankle, and under the arch of your foot. Any discomfort you feel in these areas will translate to hours of no fun on the slopes because your feet hurt too much.

Don't let the salespeople convince you to buy any unusual tech (step-ins, flow bindings, etc) as these are without exception flawed (except arguably flow bindings, which some people swear by, but I certainly wouldn't go anywhere near for your first set of kit). One other exception to this is the Vans wire lacing system, which I've heard some positive things about - you'd have to try that one for yourself.

Lastly, just remember that in the snowboarding scene most expensive most definitely doesn't equal best, especially for new riders. I've been riding for 8 years now, and my park board is a Burton Seven which is a mid-price board but IMO one of the best out there. You should be looking at the lower end boards regardless of what the salespeople tell you, as some may just want to maximise the amount of money they get out of you. A lower end board aimed at beginners will allow you to get up to speed so much faster than a flashy board that you can't stay upright on.

AH

P.S. Sorry for going off topic again.

15. will.

hehe :p

I wasn't going to just go and buy them without being able to try them on. I just can't until I have the glass removed :p

The boots though did feel really good quality for the price. I have previously found some that looked and felt very similar, but were at least 3 times as much. I'll have to wait and see.

16. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Sorry if you mis-understood me... I was telling him to buy them, I was saying that for fell/comfort/price for me they were good :thumb:

17. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Oh! And a box of the greatest cereal ever..: Coco Rocks.

18. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

That's exactly what I settled with after a bit of testing :p

I think the riser would have been comfortable had my chair been higher, with it on it bent my wrists too much, next on my list is a better quality chair that I can actually see over my desk with.

19. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

How does a thread about what you just bought last go this off-topic so quickly? Well done :) As such, I won't be the one to kick this back on topic.

20. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

These threads always go off topic