1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Men ashamed of casual gaming

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 2 Nov 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Carbon_Arc

Carbon_Arc What's a Dremel?

I'm not ashamed of my Peggle addiction!

3. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

its true. i sometimes waste time on casual games but would only talk about WIC or TF2 with friends

4. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I play the odd one every now and then.
    Peggle was pretty fun but I do like a good bout of Hexic (360) or Bejewled every now and then though it's pretty rare these days as I currently have my head sunk into Tabula Rasa. MMO's eat my life :(

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I like casual games as well although I wouldn't say I'd be ashamed to admit it.

6. DeXtmL

DeXtmL What's a Dremel?

There's nothing to be ashamed to admit that we sometimes do play causal games.

7. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

I don't mind admitting I play casual games, it's just there not really worth talking about compared to the jaw dropping brilliance of things like Portal.

8. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

i took time off work to play halo 3 and everyone knew.......

9. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

there's little casual about that though.

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

portal can almost be considered a casual game IMO.....

11. Noob4ever

Noob4ever always learning

i like to play some casual defense games when a decent one comes around......

12. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

Oh lordy. Yet another closet for people to come out of. Never understood peoples "fear" of admitting to playing games. Another crowd are the ones who brand Nintendo games as "just for kids". Hell no, these titles are family fun for all ages. Never be ashamed of who you are or what you do (as long as it's legal).

13. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Not for me, for a start Portal is just too damn fun to be considered a casual game. Casual games for example the ones PopCap make work because you need to burn some time and they suck time up so effectively yet the only reward you get is trying to beat the score you got last time.

Casual Games = Big time spent for little to no reward.
    Portal = Little time spent for the most rewarding game I have played this year.

14. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

So you got the cake?!! :geek: hehe ;)

I freely admit I play the odd casual game, but as UncertainGod said, they just not worth ranting about (and yer it usually resorts to ranting) in comparison to the larger games :thumb:

15. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

The casual games I tend to play take very little of your time up I've found (spider solitaire , tetris to name but a few). Goldtoken
    This site is a very casual gaming site which has games like chess/backgammon etc where you can take as long as 3 days before you make a move. The amount of time you invest in the games you play is negligible and I use to play them as and when I checked my emails.
    As for "reward", most "hardcore" games I come across don't have any real reward. Unless the game is a clever puzzle type game (like Portal), most titles only prerequisite is for you to spend X amount of hours playing a game and your guaranteed to finish it, as you have unlimited saves and no real penalty for making a mistake. I would go so far as to say, almost all online games I've played are unrewarding as a game. Where they excel is in the ability to allow players to interact and achieve goals together in a community/clan environment. The tasks themselves tend to be very bland and repetative. The most rewarding parts of Online games come in the PvP variety from my experience.

16. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Bungle, completely agree with everything you said except one, the monotinous games you talking about with no reward are what I would call bad games. I never include that type of game (also referred to as a EA game) in my judgment of mainstream, involving game types. I still remember a time when you always tried to play through a game on easy first, because odds were it wasn't going to be that easy. But these days you have games like Bioshock which given enough time you could complete if you were in a coma (don't get me wrong some things about BioShock were brilliant, but there was no challenge). It's possibly the only thing I didn't like about Portal, Quicksave is the bane of gaming existence.

17. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I was, and still am, insanely impressed at you actually finishing Bookworm (or Bespelled as it was known then) Joe. For those not in the know, the game has well over 50 levels, and each level takes from about 10 minutes to complete for the lower ones to around an hour for the higher ones, and it gets insanely hard towards the end.

I always wondered though, what actually happens at the end? Do you get a little message that said "I can't believe anyone actually managed to finish this?"

18. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

It declared you as a Grand Librarian, gives you a gold screen and suggests you try the Arcade mode.

19. Hells_Bliss

Hells_Bliss What's a Dremel?

I religiously play minesweeper and i'm not ashamed to admit it.

20. oaso

oaso What's a Dremel?

Tetris if much better than Halo!

Tags: Add Tags