1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Assassin's Creed books cancelled

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 2 Nov 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

What utter rubbish, if it's a fictional story I don't think you should have to get approval.

3. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

I suppose you can`t really argue if they want to respect their ancestors though. I didn`t realise it was based on real world stuffs, very interesting *goes away to google Ismaeli*

4. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

Aaaw.. I was kinda looking forward to the books :/

5. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

6. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

But it was fictional...

If someone's ancestors got pissed of whenever something was written about an ancient culture we'd not have a vast majority of films and books we have today.

7. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

In a way I see where they're coming from, the books may not have done right by the descendants idea of what should be written about their ancestors.

On the other hand, I seriously doubt that anyone is going to read the books and have false impressions of what the real assassins group were like, especially as most works of fiction clearly state so, and I expect as the author is a best seller, he would have the sense to have a disclaimer somewhere in the book, as with most almost-real situations written about/filmed/animated.

I expect a copy will be 'accidentally' leaked onto the net at some point, until then I guess it's all speculation as to what's actually in them.. Can't be far off the game world, though :D

Stabby murder, sneaky murder and freerunning :B

8. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

If the books did not have a connection with the game we all know there would be no problems releasing them. It's not like there are not already fictional books about assassins. Not to mention the fact that it is ok for the game to be released, but not the books?

I don't think anyone tried to get 300 (referring to the graphic novel) to adhere to the actual events.

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

what about cowboy films, games and comics?

10. liratheal

Not sure many people can claim to be descendants, though :B

11. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

What are you on about? 300 was perfectly accurate! Everyone knows in ancient Greece leather speedos was mandatory wear!

12. Carnival

Carnival Dremel a WHAT?!

Why is that people have to BAAAAAWWW over books and films so much at the moment? Its FICTION. The words "based on" do not translate to "This is EXACTLY what happened to the letter" in any language.

Silly assassins. Grow up.

13. liratheal

But then they'd never get any media attention!

Even though that seems to be the point of an assassin...

Maybe they're liars too :idea:

14. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

Cowboys ain`t assassins though? This is set in the middle east, I don`t think they had any cowboys there 1000 or so years ago. If cowboys could assassinate people then ubisoft would have a problem, they would probably have run in fright and cancelled the book if they complained too.

15. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

would you want to piss off a bunch of assassins though?

16. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I should have objected to that rubbish rob roy film a few years ago maybe they'd have bought me off.

17. aggies11

aggies11 What's a Dremel?

Fictional or not, you really don't want to piss off assassins. If I am doing a book on Ninjas, and then I get threats from *real Ninjas*, you better believe I am gonna cancel the book! ;)

As an aside, I don't think it's a big loss as video game books are spotty at best. The Mass effect one was pretty decent. I tried the Hellgate novel, and although the story/setting was interesting the writing (by an accomplished writer) was pretty rough. Cringe worthy at some points.

Aggies

18. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

I suppose I could use Pocahontas as a better example. Sure it's a Disney film, but the same argument could apply.

19. Oclocker

Oclocker What's a Dremel?

Its probably an attempt to gain sales - books probably not really cancelled. Publicity stunt no doubt,

20. 8igdave

8igdave Counting down the days to November!

The real events happening how long ago? How lame. Your dissing my ancestors who i never knew and who lived many hundreds of years ago! For all i know my ancestors could have been german and this country could have gone to war with my ancestors country! Damn this country!

Tags: Add Tags