1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware G92: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 2 Nov 2007.

1. Major

Major Guest

Thanks Tim. :)

I was asking, as I am receiving the 22" Samsung Pebble as a present, and as I have changed my mind to buy the superclocked version of this card, I really would like to run Crysis looking good, with decent FPS. ;)

2. KMS-oul

KMS-oul You think you know me.

Yes please have a look; I am sure there are a fair number of people are curious about this. Is 2.0 really needed at this moment in time or is it all marketing?

3. Major

Major Guest

When is the release time for that?

(And at what price) :D

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i think pci express 2 will be backwards compatible......

5. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

What an absolute corker of a review! So many resolutions/settings tested.. wow!

I think those with an 8800GTS 640MB can sit comfortably, for the moment :)

I'm afraid I haven't had the time to read through all of it, but I noticed a mistake in the last paragraph on page four: "this includes the anything released after the GeForce 7800" - omit 'the'.

6. Nature

Nature Minimodder

The best 8800GT review on the web. Well done you bitty techies. This only means good things for the GPU market and us poor saps only being able to fantasize about playing these games...

Now if only I could find a supreme internet cafe with some dark chamber with the bit-tech-test set up PC and 7.1 surround sound... These games make consoles look like integrated graphics on a laptop.

7. Major

Major Guest

Well, I sold mine because if I didn't I would of lost a lot of money on it from what I paid for it (£290).

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

I think for high-end cards it will be marketing more than anything but for cards that are sharing local system memory (TurboCache-enabled cards or ATI HD 2000-series cards) if required... anything with 512MB or more onboard memory shouldn't see much difference. However, if something warrants a look, we'll have a look. :thumb:

9. BigD79

BigD79 Gadding about...

One word "Office Frisbee".

Great review btw bit-tech ;) only just stumbled on the site the other day and been loving all the articles!

10. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Was waiting for this review and it is by far the best review on the net for sure, all the other sites are like "OMGWTFBBQSAUCE" saying its the best card ever. Where bit goes in depth and gives real results and explanations. I think it goes to show just how respected Bit-tech is on the net for people to wait for the final word on things to come from bit.

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

bought from a friend, who had money to burn, bought GTX in SLi 6 month ago, then decided it's not worth it 1 month ago, i stepped in, and bought it for £190, sold my GTS 320MB to another friend for £150 :D
    but it's Point of View card, so i don't expect this card to make much money, seeing it's a crap brand.

i think for Crysis, someone can overclock their watercooled Ultra to 700/2200, it would be enjoyable on Very High at 1680x1050 with no AA. Crysis NEEDS more than 512MB of vRAM and it NEEDS more GPU processing power. that's why the GT performed well at low resolutions, it's got may be more processing power than the GTX.

12. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

The review was definitely worth the wait, Tim, nice one! :thumb:

That represents a lot of what makes Bit-Tech reviews rise head and shoulders above the rest - it's not just wall-to-wall charts and benchmarks, you provide technical information and informed opinions for those of us keen to know that stuff, and I love that.

I had made up my mind about the 8800GT already (ordered a few days ago, still waiting for stock to come in) but this finishes things off for me and I'm pretty confident about my purchase.

13. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I'm just weeping in despair after reading the Crysis page.
    What a game! I'd pay just to see it running, let alone have it running on my machine. It must look amazing...

14. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Nice review :) looks like I'l be giving it a few weeks and seeing what AMD put out, then barring anything miraculous buying one of these :) hopefully by then the gouging will have eased off as a bit more supply comes through.

Will still need to figure out which/if any of the manufacturers will not void a warranty because you fitted a water block (so long as the block didn't cause the problem in the first place) these days I suppose.

Also, I noticed [H] added a note on info they'd had from BFG about the GTS 640mb supposedly getting a new revision with an increased number of stream processors ? were they getting confused somewhere or is that likely to happen in the near future do you think ? would seem to make some sense, as GTS is supposed to be the model between GT and GTX and would sit well with the price point and memory amounts, though it wouldn't stop me from going right to the GT for my 1680*1050 DX10 needs given its very nice price/performance ratio :D

15. Tim S

Tim S OG

We reported the rumour about the 112sp GTS a few weeks ago and it's coming, but will be available in very limited quantities - it's basically a binned G80. This gives me the signal that G80 is coming to end of life and it's another reason why there might be more stream processors available inside G92.

Think back to when Nvidia said on a conference call that G92 would approach 1Tflop. That's probably with MADD+MUL counted, but still, that's twice as fast as the G92 inside 8800 GT. That suggests there's more SPs and these clocks are VERY conservative... slap a dual slot cooler on and we could see something up around the 800MHz mark quite easily.

There's also bound to be 'something else' up Nvidia's sleeve, but I can't even begin to speculate what - I've really got no indications of what it might be.

16. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Great work Tim, the only review that matters on the net for me.

17. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yup, using the stock cooling and just cranking up the fans sees both my vanilla GTs at 720 core (puts the stream processors near the 1.8Ghz mark) with better cooling and a little increase in voltage it should go farther, as it is the single GT seems to equal or better my GTX at these speeds if I don't go mental with AA/AF.

18. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Yep, it's definitely a kick in the teeth for me. Couldn't bit-tech have announced this card in a news item a few weeks ago when I was building my rig? Feels pretty stupid having bought a GTS 320 for £180 when the 8800GT is about 25% better and cheaper. Couldn't you guys have given us some warning?! :p

Anyway, as always, an awesome review. Thanks for all that effort you put in to make it your usual top quality, Tim.

19. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Actually there was an article about the 8800GT "coming soon" a few weeks ago, but it seems to have just burst onto the scene to me.

What kind of card did you get? eVGA do their step-up program that could be of use to you if you got one of theirs...

20. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

looks nice , a very tempting upgrade choice.

I agree Crysis appears to be setting the benchmark. Looking forward to reading a full review + tech specs

Tags: Add Tags