1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Timeshift

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 4 Nov 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2007/11/04/timeshift/1

Timeshift is the new time-warping FPS game from Vivendi, but is it any good or is it just a lame attempt to cash in on the whole time-travelling trend started by The Prince of Persia? We find out by taking the Xbox 360 version for a whirl, so check out our full review inside!

:rolleyes:

2. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Hm, that's a shame, TBH. I was really hoping for a killer game. I read a write-up about it's development a few issues back in PC Gamer magazine, and it looked promising. Especially considering the dev was given an additional year for development on it. I saw side-by-side screenshots of the original textures versus the new ones and it was like night and day. I might try it out anyways just to have some mindless fun.

3. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

shame really...... i was waiting for a rather nice game.... i wonder if the pc version is better, and if there will be mods for it.

4. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

That's a shame about the puzzle aspect. After seeing video previews this looked to be quite a good game. The developers should have perhaps led the player through the first couple of puzzles and then just leave them to figure it out for themselves. As it stands, it sounds far too dumbed down.

5. vaderag

vaderag I know what a Dremel is...

This is one of those games that I know I'm going to be really disappointed with playing, but at the same time, i've just got to do it...
    I've read a couple of bad reviews (none as good as this of course ;)), but still i cant drag myself away.

6. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I downloaded the demo on xbox live and found the game a little naff. Time shift idea is great but the actual game falls flat on its face. I hope another developer takes up this idea and turn it into a winning game.

7. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

will you do a seperate pc review because from what i heard it works alot better than the 360 version?

8. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

I would think it would be, as it was devved for PC originally (AFAIK). I'd like to see a PC version review too as well, if it's in the cards.

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

we'll see if we can get hold of it - not sure if the pc version is out yet. At least, ive not heard about it (maybe Joe has). :)

10. naokaji

naokaji whatever

in another year they may could have gotten away with that game... but with soo many uber titles freshly out / comming soon it would take a bit more than what timeshift is to succeed....

just my 2 cents though

nice review btw

11. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

The PC version is out now too, but the 360 went into production first so thats what came through to me first. The gameplay is exactly the same from what I've heard and only the controls are different. I very much doubt this will be one of those games like BioShock which will play differently enough on console/PC to warrant a second review.

12. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

Tesco had the PC version on the shelf yesterday :)

13. IccleD

IccleD What's a Dremel?

I'm guessing this was a review for only the Xbox version, which is a shame.

I had a copy of the PC version installed & running by Friday night, and had time to mess about. I found it quite enjoyble.
    Saturday, the missus & I played it most of the afternoon, with a little LAN fun in the evening. She Lost, alot.
    Sunday, the missus completed the game, I gave up; Bored.

The PC version looked stunning, even on my poor old machine: AMD XP3200@2ghz, 1Gb RAM and a 6600GT. No AA, nothing set to Full / Best / High End. With a new PC I would be disappointed if it was anything less than Jaw Dropping.

The "TimeShifting" was a great novility that quickly wore off for me, so much so I couldn't be bothered to play it on Sunday. The missus, must finish all games before me and better than me, so she stuck with it till the end.

The story was easy to follow, however it was lacking in quanity if not the quality. I mean the plot was there, but there was no substance around it. I never finished the game so I don't know about the ending.

The missus however, from the sighs and groans comping from behind her Laptop Screen, was still playing to the death on SUnday afternoon. It seemed a bit like having that Sunday Roast with the parents. The one where you've got those last couple of potatoes to eat, and you will eat them but it's going to take a whole 5mins minutes each, even though you really enjoying it. You know what I mean, I'm sure. Playing this game became almost a chore, but it had to be completed.

"Oh it's finished!" she said. I think it sounded like a bit of an anti-climax. "Oh well, I'm off to play FEAR on Super Dooper Ultra Hard Mode" and with that, the missus loaded up FEAR and it's expansion and played into the evening. Mumbling something about a new expansion soon?!

I think that sums up the game perfectly. I'd go.....

7 / 10 Graphics - Looked Stunning, but I've no way of saying if the stunning looks scaled with Hardware.
    5 / 10 Game Play - Good to start with, TimeShifting was a Novility, but soon weared off, becoming repetitive.
    3 / 10 Story Line - It was there, and was a great idea, but unfortunatly it had no substance.

14. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I like the graphics of the pc game, actualy it looks really great. bumbmapping everywhere. shadows, rain look kewl too, blur effects, lots of debries, no square boxmodels, awesome background actions, smoke effects, explosions, things can get shot, like parts of brick walls, big things walking through the enviroment. You can adjust the fov to your liking too. All running fine on Vista DX10 with a 8800GTX without a problem on the laters nvidia beta drivers)

But the controls are... well.. it feels not right at all, it feels like having a gamepad and not a mouse/keyboard, there is no flow in the motion of the character you control. It realy feels like emulating a gamepad with your mouse/keyboard. And if there is one thing i personaly hate, it is gamepads. (and third person, but thats also very personal) Also the speed of the character feels not right. Every time i think i am crawling. but pressing the binded key for that, tells me i'am wrong. And there is no run/walk option either. So if you want to move quick in if the action gets to intense, (like running for your life) you cant and most of the time you will end dead...

StopTime mode dont last long enough. I dont get frw/fwd time thingy, its confusing but cool to see in action. Must be incredible hard to progam that in. Another thing that anoys me is i cant explore/see the levels in full because the action prevented me to explore levels in my own pacing. Its like getting pushed a direction very quick, but you dont want to go quick .. but.. but... i want to see the big walking thing for a while and the scenery... NO you cant! move along or get a bullit!.. but... but i.... NO BUTS! MOVE MOVE MOVE!...

15. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Ok..... that was creepy. Page three, just got the first set of screenshots, and for some reason memories of Requiem: Avenging Angel pop into my head. Keep on reading, and just two lines later Joe goes and mentions it. That was really, really creepy.

Excellent game though Requiem, I can't think of many others that included time travel, flying, blood boiling, wantom violence, a dystopian 1984 future civilisation, Railguns, the most out-of-place moment of bad language in a game ever AND Lucifer himself, all in one game! Result!

And a shadow system which looked as good as UE3's, and the game's 10 years old.

16. CardJoe

**** level design though, plus awful enemies and horrible, horribly delivered plot. Requiem was magnificently difficult.

17. jollyg

jollyg What's a Dremel?

I know... how many games do you play nowadays, only to think this is like XXXX, but with ....

18. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Pish! The contrived, uneven, over-the-top story was a plus point! lol.

19. CardJoe

I'm still confused about the endings though...

20. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

Say what? "That's fair does though - FPS games and metaphysics don't usually go together that well. Pathologic is proof of that." On page 2.

Omit "does"...

I DO think it was a good review of the game. However, I really wish that someone proof read the whole review as the semantical errors were abundant. Like "You’ve got" instead of "you have".

Tags: Add Tags