1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft wants longer shelf life for 360

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 7 Nov 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

It needs to have a longer life at home first, Microsoft have made significant mistakes and need to get them sorted.

Also, the PS2 is still in production and new models are still being produced (one has just come out in Japan with an integrated AC-DC adaptor)

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

That made me laugh :hehe:

4. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Good. I can't say I felt particularly shafted when the 360 came out as I never bought brand new games for my Xbox anyway, so it didn't affect me much. What Sony's done with the PS2 seems to have kept demand at a pretty steady rate- the new ones with the integrated PSU look especially tempting, although I'm going to get an Elite before I splash out on anything else. I think the capabilities of the 360, such as the Media Center extender and Marketplace, mean that it will still have a lot of purpose even when the next-gen Xbox arrives.

<A88>

5. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

I can see the 360 going for quite some time - the Marketplace and DLC are two advantages that the PS2 doesn't have, and developers certainly seem to be getting the hang of the architecture by now.

6. inflatable

inflatable What's a Dremel?

MS probably dropped the original Xbox so quick because they didn't completly own the hardware, so never could really make a profit on it.. Now with the Xbox 360 they do own all the rights of the chips etc, so eventually the hardware will make a profit for them.. Knowing this it makes sense they will probably keep supporting the Xbox 360 longer..

Personally I don't care if a console I buy doesn't last more then 4-5 years.. Because after 3 orso years the hardware starts to become to obsolete compared to PC tech anyway.. I'm willing to buy a new gameconsole every 4-5 years if that means it's uptodate with what high-end gaming PC's can do.. I'm a early adopter, graphicswhore, and just always want the best of the best.. I understand there are people who cannot or simply don't want to afford that, but for those people they can keep the old last-gen consoles arround a bit longer (like they do now with the PS2).. Everybody happy..

7. zero0ne

zero0ne Minimodder

How can you complain about a console lasting 4 years?

thats a hell of a long time if you look at it as a PC game enthusiast.

it equates to less than 100US dollars a year for the hardware for the consumer, much much cheaper than keeping your computer top of the line every year. (or even every 4 years, or 8 years)

8. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

Original XBox obsolete? I think not. Mine runs XBMC and is a very capable SD frontend to my MythTV box.

9. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

give it silly motion sensitive remote-controls, and put a blue glow around the drive.

done.

10. Morphine-Kitty

Morphine-Kitty Dead account.

This is the ONE thing that pisses me off about consoles. EVERYBODY seems to hate anything they don't own. I'm getting so irritated at the massively rampant fanboyism present in recent times. I always ask people who think any console they don't own is gay "Why is that other console so stupid?". Their answer? Always something like "It just is." or "The [insert name here] is better.". I'm getting seriously tired of this behavior. Can't we all just accept one another's consoles?

11. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

No, Nexxo will probably say it's down to the Human psychology trying to make something which they don't own sound worse then it is to make the brain not want it, not feel left out or jealous.

12. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

I don't get it... I think the 360 is really good, and I love my Wii...

Don't get me started on ps3 though... ;)

13. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Wanting it to last longer is different to making it last longer. They aint going to last 10 years when they red ring within 12 months lol touch wood mine doesnt as its in its 11 month now.

I hope my 360 lasts another 5-6 years and that they continue to make great games I want to play. I already have more 360 games than I ever had on my xbox, PS2 and Game cube combined. And this is in my first 11 months and there are at least another 12 games I want. :)

14. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

They just have to release the next one for more money than most people will pay and the 360 will continue to do well :p

15. Morphine-Kitty

Morphine-Kitty Dead account.

Sorry, but its just most people seem to get all fanboy-ey now, and its starting to irritate me. No offense meant if you took any.

Tags: Add Tags