1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News HD DVD gets a big boost from sales

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 8 Nov 2007.

1. noobarino

noobarino What's a Dremel?

why are u attacking his spelling/grammar, pretty weak imo.

2. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Quoted For Truth

:lol: :thumb:

For now my money stays in my pocket (though the cheaper player and region-free elements push me towards HD-DVD).

3. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

You're quite right. A single layer Blu-ray disc is cheaper than a dual layer HD-DVD disc. However, if price is your main concern, then 6 DVDs will be cheaper, and will have greater capacity, than a single layer Blu-ray disc.

There are several devices available to burn HD-DVD discs, and you can buy computers with these devices pre-installed.

Home users may not, but home users purchase discs in the dozens. Major studios purchase discs in the millions, and I imagine they don't mind the multiple layers. In fact, the majority of releases from both sides have been on multiple-layer discs.

If I wanted to put all my stuff on one disc, well, it's not possible with either format. That's what spare hard drives are for.

Personally, I think each format has its strengths and weaknesses. I don't own an HDTV, nor do I have a method to get HD content to the TV if I did own one. So I'm content to watch DVDs until the format war dies out, or an altogether new format emerges.

-monkey

4. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Stupid free market! Always the competition with each other, and Always the consumer pays for it.

I like the fact of BR having a massive storage media, yet despise that they are changing the versions. DVD didnt do this (was there even a competitor to DVD at the time?). HD DVD seems, clumsy to me. Yet it isnt.

Anyway... I dont have a HDTV yet.... so, I dont really care atm.

What HD-DVD should do is offer to replace your existing DVD collection to HD-DVD for a small one time fee (based on quanity of movies) And simply replace everyones DVD's. I would sure fire do it! (and ensure complete and utter destruction of blu ray)

:D

5. DrFreeze

DrFreeze What's a Dremel?

2.5 generation? wait a second, you wouldnt be counting console generations according to PLAYSTATION generations right? You are hereby fired from the club, hand in your (videogame) nerd card at the door.

id say Wii would be 4.5th gen, and some people who were actually alive in the atari era would call it 6.5th gen, provided we subscribe to the whole wii being half a gen behind theory

6. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

If I lived in America I would be driving to my nearest Best Buy right now.

7. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

benefit's ? did good that time it was only one word this time (picky) :)

the extra 10gb to me is worth it, DVD+r and DVD-r was the same size disks so did not matter what the customers got, with BR and HD-dvd there size is not the same 15gb/30gb, 25gb/50gb, but most are likely to only be useing single layer disks any way

may take 4+ years before it really takes off any ways or longer maybe due to paramounts Stupid move to support HD-DVD only for 18 months ? i think, thay should of kept it in both formats but i guess HD-DVD would of died allot sooner if paramount was not payed off to do so to support one format only there loss in $$ any way as thay could of Sold 300,000 more copy's of transformers {assuming an 2:1 ratio to hd-DVD}, once BR burners become cheaper any company that do HD-DVD only will not be an problem any more as i just be able to convert HD-DVD to easily fit onto an BR disk

as DVD taken what 5-6 years to take off (1995 taken to 2001/3 before it was slandered in PCs software and DVD rentals) got some time before one becomes the slandered or we have an combo HD-DVD/Blu-ray - Blu-ray burner (if thay do it)

---------
    why i have not bothered to put stuff onto disks yet is that i do not want to have 5 dvds around when one single disk can have the same content on it, HD-dvd cant do that i have to use 2 disks or get an dual layer disk that probably costs allot

8. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

:duh:

Worst theory ever created, oh I'm only x.5th generation because I'm not as strong as my dad.

Using these formats as backups is a moot point, the size doesn't matter because using a BD or HD DVD to backup your data is not cost effective at all. Yeah it sounds nice, a 25Gb disk, but firstly, that would take ages to write, secondly, they'll be very expensive. If you wanted to write it to disks you could probably get double the amount of space from DVD-Rs. Yeah DVDs were very expensive back in the day too, but BD is a proprietary format, this means Sony wants to get as much money as they can claw out of every sale, this means it's going to stay pretty expensive.

BD will never die though, because Sony owns it and several large studios, so stuff like James Bond will only ever be released on BD, and Sony will never admit defeat and pull the plug on it, just like it's not with UMD.

Yes BD is winning at the moment, but what hasn't been said much is the sales of both formats have dwindled to half what it was before, and DVD is still outselling it by about a million times. It's not really looking good for either format as people just aren't really interested in buying it and only the enthusiasts care really.

As others have said, if you're going to back something up, it's more cost effective to buy a cheap external USB hard drive, that is only one disk and it can hold a lot more than a BD can.

I don't think you understand business either, paramount don't really care, they'll be getting millions of sales through DVD, and also, Sony owns some very large studios. Putting your film onto a BD is basically putting money in the pockets of your competitors. They don't like doing that, that is why many studios pulled out of UMD.

Last edited: 9 Nov 2007
  9. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

You're not even reading the responses people post to you, you're just restating the exact same information. Nobody is arguing that bluray isn't bigger. And yeah, that does give it an advantage for computer use, although with what hard drives are starting to cost these days the hard drives are a lot better deal than bluray disks will be for a long time.

But you're making the mistake of confusing disks on the computer with disks in the home theater. On the computer, bluray has a size advantage. But this article isn't about computers, it's about home theaters. In the home theater environment, HD-DVD disks are big enough for a full 1080p movie and special features - so the additional size of bluray isn't a factor. And because of licensing, a dual-layer bluray disk (which is what will be used for movies) will cost more than a dual-layer HD-DVD (which is what will be used for movies), so HD-DVD actually has an advantage.

Maybe you're getting slightly confused based on the fact that for the last few years, we've been using the same storage format for movies and computers. Let's step back a generation to clear things up. It's like everyone else in this forum is saying "VHS tapes are the best choice for watching movies, because even though the quality is higher, laserdisk is too big and expensive," and you're saying "No, CDs are better because I can use them in my computer!"

Stop defending bluray in the home theater by talking about your computer. They are totally different situations. However, if you have a compelling argument in favor of bluray that doesn't involve your computer, we'd all be interested to hear it.

10. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Apart from James Bond I don't think there really is one : /

11. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

I don't think so. I think his point in saying that was that, as this is a forum of written communication, better spelling and grammar will go a long way to conveying your thoughts. :) I personally just stopped reading his posts after a couple sentences - which is most likely due to my lazy brain not wanting to spend the effort on figuring out all the nuances of his words. :) Perhaps he could have admonished him in a better fashion, but I think that was his intent (correct me if I'm wrong).

On topic - I tend to agree that hybrid players will probably win out in the end, however I think if I had to go out and buy a player right now, today, it would be a HD-DVD player. It's just cheaper and I'm no 'video-quality-buff'. [shrugs]

12. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

I am for the format that is best for both worlds (movies & storage) and I see Blu-Ray as being that format. Seeing that a 100GB and even a 200GB BD-R is on it's way (the 100GB disc will work w/ a firmware update) size is to Blu-Ray's advantage, yet price is to HD-DVD's advantage, so it's really a war of features vs. price and tbh I think HD-DVD's (like VHS/Betamax) will probably end up winning unless Blu-Ray gets cheaper because they offer pretty much everything BD-Rs offer and a little more, but tbh I want the most storage on a disc that I can get (for the right $ of course) vs. using a (I don't want to call it 'unreliable') spinning-media usb HDD w/ parts that can easily crap out (depending on use), yet I also want the disc's format to be used in other devices so my burner wouldn't be for only one purpose (then in that case I would never buy it).

Anyways, Blu-Ray isn't going anywhere anytime soon (PS3 games will have to continue support it), so Sony has more to lose imo on that side of it, so I see there being a desperate battle of survival on (Sony's) Blu-Ray's part if price begins to put HD-DVD ahead and that is only going to be good for us the consumers.

Either way, that's my opinion on it (not that there's much to take from it) and the only negative things I see coming/could come from this "war" are:

• the chance people could end up w/ a "dead, stagnant and/or quickly dying" format
    • longer wait-time(s) before people can finally (and confidently) decide on a format & go to true HD movies
    • movies becoming exclusive to certain formats (just like games :sigh:)

13. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

What makes me laugh is the fact that that particular player doesn't output the res that the format is capable of (can only output 1080i, versus 1080P). All those poor saps that bought a 1080P HDTV and was thinking they are getting a great deal on true HD capabilities with that HD-DVD player are in for an ugly truth. They are merely clearing the shelves of old tech. Honestly, it's a great deal for a sub-par HD-DVD player, but it's a REALLY great deal on a upconverting DVD player.

14. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

sorry about my previous post. I got mixed up with the "both worlds" thing. There are actually three main "worlds" that I care about. They would be Price, Storage & Features. With me, HD-DVD has the advantage on price, Blu-Ray has the advantage on storage and both pretty much offer the same features as the other. I just wanted to add that, so ignore pretty much my entire first paragraph, but the other two still stand true IMO.

Last edited: 9 Nov 2007
  15. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ehh that player is garbage anyways and when I say that I mean that it is bloody slow, The extra cost in the A3 is well worth it compared to the A2

16. Tactical_Strike

Tactical_Strike What's a Dremel?

The Future is in you'r thumb

Just remember that there is another option out there, which will be the universal winner of the format war, and I am not talking about god. It is called USB. Samsung T.V.'s have them built in for media and firmware updates. See these links and you will see other opinions about the format and its' future in the CE market. USB seems like the only rational alternative when it comes to any data storage for its' universal aplications and acceptance as a standard already.
    http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/09/19/usb_3_to_arrive_at_superspeed_in_2008/1
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2184768,00.asp
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2184849,00.asp

17. zachjowi

zachjowi What's a Dremel?

Where is there a link to this player? I can;t find any player for less then 299.99 at Best Buy

Tags: Add Tags