1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 13 Nov 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Leitchy

Leitchy Minimodder

Small error, you can indeed use the mouse wheel - just need to set it within the controls!

3. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

is the sas voice that of Ross Kemp?

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Man, it looks like you're right. I did look at the controls, but I guess I missed that bit. My bad - will edit the article now.

5. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Game of the year imo, pure FPS perfection.

I'm surprised you didn't mention how short the single player campaign is as that would be my main criticism of the game.

6. Hells_Bliss

Hells_Bliss What's a Dremel?

Good review.

some added points, once you finish the SP (no mention on how short it is, it only took me about 5 hrs to finish) Arcade mode is unlocked which is good for some fun, and you can pick the missions that were good
    C-130 Baby!
    and skip the ones that you didn't enjoy at all
    like crawling through the grass with guys all around you

Over all, it had a good storyline in the single player
    killing the main character?!? that sucked :p

The multiplayer is extremely fast paced, even on large maps, and unlike earlier games in the series, if you get shot a couple times in the chest, you're on the ground; considering that pretty much every gun is either semi or full auto, that can be pretty quick. :p

Hardcore mode in MP rules, no HUD and extra damage from the guns, a built in realism mod pretty much.

I'd say the FPS gamer community will be extremely happy with this game, especially given the piece of crap mohab was. This game is also very good for competitative play; like Joe said, the maps lead to actual tactics rather than run-and-gun and spray-and-pray.

The perks are a good addition, especially claymores and last stand...and with out a doubt deep penetration, shooting through walls is fun.

The guns are all relatively well balanced while staying realistic, i've read some complaints from other reviewers but personally they don't know what they're talking about and obviously haven't shot the gun(s) in question, of course neither have I for most of them but you get my point. :p The assault and smg guns really need to be scoped and shot in small bursts to keep control of them else they'll shoot all over the place. Shooting from the hip is good in a sticky situation but I don't like it personally.

Overall i'm loving the game and it's worth the $50

7. BigD79

BigD79 Gadding about...

Got to update my rig, been waiting for this for a while and it sounds as good as i'd hoped.

8. quack

quack Minimodder

Captain Price is voiced by Billy Murray. DS Don Beech from The Bill and Johnny Allen from Eastenders (and father of the smoking-hot Jaime Murray from Hustle and Dexter).

9. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

oh i see
    ha i had ross kemp ultimate force in mind as i played it lol

10. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

allso the load times for the game, what load times

this is the only game that i know of that can load to main menu in 2-3 secs (when when thay Frigin Fix the server connection bugs) i can be in game withn 5 secs (useing Xfire join player)

thay realy need to bring an fix out for server connection time outs as its Very anoying when your trying to join an friend who is on an server, allso there is no way for an norm user to stop the server connect (press ` then disconnect press tab press enter for console users)

11. Hells_Bliss

Hells_Bliss What's a Dremel?

Thats true, the connection bug is annoying sometimes. Also find that x-fire can screw up the connection.

One little tweak you can try is (i think) sv_connection 30, not positive since I don't have the game in front of me but the command will increase the connection timeout from 11s to 30s

12. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Nide review. Is there much of a story? I remember enjoying the SP missions on the previous CoDs, but there wasn't really much progression/anything new, even with the different countries. I always ended up using the MP40, because there was so much ammo for it!:duh:

Whilst obeying your instructions and staring at the model detail shots, it looked like the character was floating about 10cm of the ground:hehe:. Is this just a one off, or does that often happen? Maybe its just the shadows, I don't know... It would be quite cool to have a hover mode, but maybe that is too futuristic!

Last edited: 15 Nov 2007
  13. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Stunning game, I have been playing the demo and it is great. Definately will buy it. If only I had an 8800GT...

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

There's a decent story throughout, but it's not too heavy that you need to follow 100% to complete the game - i.e. just enough to be interesting.

15. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

I have been playing this since Friday and have now completed it on all difficulty levels, and I'm ready ready to run through it all again.

This game is such a great departure from the WWII period. It's nice to see such attention to detail being brought into a modern day shooter. The missions are exciting and varied, like the review states they are mature and gritty.

Graphically this game is stunning as well, it's a great demonstration of DX9 in all it's glory. The textures in so many parts of the game are just breath taking, I died on so many occasions because I just stood looking at the world and character details.

Cut sequences really help set the scene, and I found them to be well scripted.

The biggest drawback is the length of the game, however on completion LET THE CREDITS ROLE & DON'T GO ANYWHERE!!

YOU AIN'T FINISHED YET :)

16. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

Got this awesome game, loved the AC130 section so much :)

17. Tejstar

Tejstar What's a Dremel?

Very good review, I loved the comparison shots of the different settings. Something that is seldom done these days.

18. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I love that tiny tiny square map with all the containers in it.. :D

Also, the game runs beautifully (maxed) on just a 7900GS and 2Ghz C2 with 2Gbs of RAM, seems they optimized the engine very well

19. toyomatt84

toyomatt84 What's a Dremel?

Where was the comment on how epically short this game's campaign was?

20. sl1xx

sl1xx What's a Dremel?

loved the game like every1 said so short but well worth it,is this the last of cod or will there be future warfare ?

Tags: Add Tags