1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Cooler Master debuts ESA Cosmos

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 13 Nov 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I forget if the fans are power by USB as well as controlled by it. If so, that would be quite cool (sorry). It definitely beat running 3 fans of one motherboard header:worried:

Nowhere seems to sell it though, do you know how much more it is that the usual one? $229 is cheaper than £140 in the original article, but that is in the US

3. Risky

Risky Modder

Still the weakness of this is that is will relay on the OS, so in the event of a crash you lose all control. Now a software controllable system outside the primary system is what you really need e.g. something grown out of the t-balancer concept.

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

the ideal would be a second, behind the scenes OS, like some flavor of linux, running on the background out of your way...... and i very much doubt the fans would be powered by USB.....

5. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

no reasons I can think of why not. If you can power a hard drive/light/fan/drinks cooler from one, why not a couple of case fans?
    I don't really know though (hence the question)

6. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

A 80mm case fan is usually about 0.1A (in my experience) - maybe more depending on size/speed, However, that's at 12v

Don't forget, USB is 100mA max (non negotiated) or 500mA (negotiated) but that's at 5v

7. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

exactly what i was thinking...

maybe it is powered by the psu, but has a usb connection for speed control and noise control.

8. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

I would be very surprised if it wasn't done that way :)

9. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

I think a board like that would operate so when there isn't a negotiated connection with some controlling software, the fans run at 100% (Or use an onboard thermistor, or have some other setting stored in a tiny CMOS chip so you can control how the system starts/runs). That would be the sensible way to do things.

10. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

i think that bit needs to get one as a follow up to the esa article

11. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

wait Im confused dont most motherboard already have the ability to control fans? or at least CPU/SYS/Chassis fans for one and then you can get USB Fan controllers already that can do the same thing so whats the point? If someone could explain a little more that would be great.

12. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

oh there was rumor that CM was going to release an all aluminum version of the cosmos around Dec/Jan, could that also be whats different with the ESA Cosmos? as that was the case I was holding out for. ^_^

Tags: Add Tags