1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Banner ads spread viruses

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Nov 2007.

1. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

I F*****G _HATE_ those adverts more than you can imagine, I find them more annoying than pop-ups.

2. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Maybe an opportune time to point out that Kasperky are selling all home user products half-price until Xmas... ;)

3. zoom314

zoom314 Minimodder

I guess that's nice, But avast gives theirs away for Free. :D

4. knuck

knuck Hate your face

there is an effective way to disable those very annoying adds ... I did it a couple months ago and now that I formated I am about to do it again. I'll edit this post once I got it working

5. gillett

gillett What's a Dremel?

Firefox+adblock=good times

6. knuck

knuck Hate your face

yep exactly i just had to remember what to block with it

turns out I blocked every script related to intellitxt and it worked perfectly :D (tested on joblo.com)

Last edited: 17 Nov 2007
  7. Zut

Zut What's a Dremel?

Yeah adblock is the easiest way to avoid this! I don't block anything at bit-tech or some other favorite sites of mine, but I feel no guilt in blocking most of the crap on the web.

8. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

I want to know who's bright idea it was to get Flash this much access to the PC's that the browser running the flash is running on.. Am i wrong in thinking that makes flash just as bad a risk as Active X is/was?

9. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

I don think its quite as bad, but it certainly isn't great .....

I think a lot of the problem with ActiveX was the fact that IE is so integrated into the operating system, if you take control of IE you have a lot of control over the computer itself (A big problem with IIS servers too), i don't think flash is quite as bad as that

10. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Ah Doubleclick; First purveyor of tracker cookies, now pusher of malware ads (though unintentional). Isn't something like that material for a company killing class-action?

11. evilgreenie

evilgreenie Standby for Main Engine Burn

Yeah but the method relied on injecting malware ads into the DoubleClick network through a dodgy third-party ad reseller/aggregator, and most ad networks use these somewhere along the line, so they are all potentially vulnerable.

I'm surprised the advertisers are not up in arms about this - a few more of these sort of scares and we'll all be Firefox+AdBlock+NoScript..

12. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

Most people (i believe) are still just on IE, and i bet alot arent even on IE7 ....

Its gonna take alot more then that to move people to FF+AB+NS

13. macroman

macroman The One

Web users not using anti-virus? Surely not? :eyebrow:

There is no excuse given that excellent anti-virus products are now available for free. Such as Avast.:thumb:

14. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Personally I use AVG, which uses a whopping 20 Kb of memory to continously run in the background. Far cry from Norton's many tens of megabytes. I'm amazed people in this day and age still don't have Virus Scanning software, with the years and years of press surrounding viruses people can't still be that ignorant, can they?

15. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

You'd be amazed.

16. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

Erm, you might want to look into that. The reason I use AVG despite having a legal, non-expiring copy of McAfee through my university is that AVG doesn't slow my computer down. It's completely unintrusive and uses barely any system resources at all - I can't tell the difference in speed between AVG and no antivirus at all. So if you think AVG is using too much CPU, you need to either upgrade past 500 MHz or look at cleaning your system up to figure out why it's taking such a hit.

Back on topic, I see this as an excellent development. I block most ads, but I've heard that some sites are getting mad about that, and a few have even gone to the point of blocking Firefox users just in case. Now, though, I can claim that my ad blocker is just an additional layer of virus defense, rather than something to make my browsing more pleasant at the expense of people running pay-per-view ads (rather than pay-per-click, as I rarely click even when ads aren't blocked).

17. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

for f***'s sake, my comp has been dead for the pat 5 days because of this thing. I used BitDefender and registry mechanic to try find out why this message kept popping up every 30 seconds on my taskbar. BitDefender found a couple of things but they werent what I was after, but for some reason, the registry mechanic decided to delete some windows components or something and now my comp wont boot from my main HDD. Goddamn thing must have infected my pc when I went to download.com

Tags: Add Tags