1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Orange Box on PS3 largely unplayable

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 23 Nov 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. DeXtmL

DeXtmL What's a Dremel?

PS3 has been left alone in corner

3. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

With the likes of COD4 and Resistence which play very nicely and look great, you have to wonder why something like the Source engine couldn't be ported over and run at near PC speeds/quality.

Sure, the programming for the PS3 is far from a walk in the park, but others have done it.

Strange...

4. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

I guess it could be something particular to the shorce engine that makes porting difficult.

COD4 and Resistance aren't good examples because both games were made with the PS3 in mind from the begining.

5. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Which highlights the problem. Valve focused on the easy platform, as the lead developers, they should have worked on the PS3 platform, and let EA handle the Xbox 360 version. EA has no problems developing good code for the 360, it's widely known that either 1. EA just can't develope on the PS3 properly, or 2. EA doesn't really try to develope on the PS3 properly to save on the budget. I'm sure this way the title would have released on both consoles at the same time with relatively no problems between the two. I'm done agreeing that the PS3 might be too diffucult to program for. Too many other developers have it down, why can't Valve/EA?

6. chrisuk

chrisuk What's a Dremel?

Lets all remember for a moment that the 360 is based on the same API as the PC, so porting is and always has been relatively easy from a developers point of view, well, the PC to 360 ports anyway.

But why should we stop agreeing with the PS3s development problems. The PS2 was exactly the same, and SOny haven't learned anything. This is where Sony have failed, by making exotic hardware decisions and not being able to back them up with a good development kit, every developer is starting on the back foot. The Xbox didn't suffer from this, and the 360, while having exotic-ish hardware, has excellent development tools and a relatively similar environment to the PC.

It's a shame that people won't admit that Sony have completely destroyed their platform this time round, consumers are voting with their wallets and developers are by constantly whining and providing, to be honest, non spectacular to down-right-nasty games.

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Valve never wanted a PS3 port at all, thats why. They want a PC game as they are PC developers and probably only worked on a 360 port because of similarities between the system and the fact that many of them are ex-Microsoft. I've heard numerous developers say that coding from PC to 360 is easy, 'a matter of weeks and tweaks'. Coding for the PS3, from scratch or port, is never easy from what I've heard.

8. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

They shouldn't have ported it to PS3. I like the console, but I don't like it when a port is half-assed. I'de rather buy it for PC and 360 if it's target for that console, than have them waste their budget, time, and complaints doing it for the PS3. I'm just fine with Insomniac, Inifity Ward, Epic, Ubisoft, and the rest who atleast seem interested in developing for new platforms instead of running back to the easy breezy methods. I'm not saying Valve is wrong for developing on a platform they are familiar with, that being the PC. The 360 makes porting between both very easy, so it's expected. But Epic seems to also prove Valve's complaints are unfounded and that as long a developer is willing, it can be done with PC --> PS3, or better yet, developng both from the ground up. I know it saves money to just port, but considering CoD4 has already hit 3 million copies sold as a Multiplatform at 50-60$ a copy 3 million sold multiplatform more than makes up the costs of developing it for all 3 It's not Halo 3 money seing that Halo 3 is 360 sales so far, and soon to be PC but still 3 million any way you slice it as a Multiplatform title is great.

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Indeed, If the devs can't be bothered to do a proper job, I can't be bothered to buy it, its not like the games are cheap.

This was always going to be bad, the moment I heard they were outsourcing I knew the game was never going to get the attention of the others, especially with Gabe Newells comments on the system.

10. exceededgoku

exceededgoku What's a Dremel?

And remember nvidia cards have never been top dog in Source powered games, which could explain some of the performance issues. I imagine they were told to set it to a specific detail quality and weren't allowed to deviate and so have to tweak the engine as much as possible which has led to these massive delays and performance issues.
    Sort of like how Crysis is with everybodies hardware currently (which is actually the feature of their engines - as in run it at full 1-2 years after it is released)! :D

11. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I suppose that it terms of fairness it would be comparable to play an FPS on either the PS3 or 360, so it would be nice if M$ and Sony somehow made their consoles talk for a bit of cross platform multiplayer. For them it would have the incentive of making console gaming in general more popular.

Although that said, this palaver is clearly not the way to do things.

12. 8igdave

8igdave Counting down the days to November!

If EA are so good, why do they seem to bodge every game they make? They are forcing gamse out to fast. They have done need for speed to death for instance. They also bought up two of the best game making stuidos going and now say they are going to be putting 8 games a year out from them i read in an interview. If this is the case they are likely to be unfinished and poor. Dont like have EA makes games, ive yet to paly one which hasn't had problems or been rushed.

13. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

strange.... the PS3 is insanely powerful.... strange that valve did not use it for their advantage.....

14. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

HL belongs to pc. FT consoles... :(

15. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Pretty normal I guess. Half assed port for a half assed console. As mentioned above, Sony have to learn to make it simpler for developing. Valve are pc game developers anyhow.

16. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

It maybe insanely powerful but so is a cray super computer, doesn't mean its easy to work with and with out that it isn't worth a lick.

17. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Playstation 2 in it's day says you are wrong.

Insonmiac says you are wrong.

Ubisoft says you are wrong.

Naughty Dog says you are wrong.

I can go on....

18. inflatable

inflatable What's a Dremel?

Great PC FPS developers like Valve, ID, and Epic should stay far away from the consoles.. They should just focus on the the PC, which is still by far the best FPS platform arround.. If they do not, the PC will suffer.. Just look at what happened to UT3, the game's GUI sucks balls on the PC because it's clearly designed for a console, that's a clear sign of bad console influence.. Really, just forget about the consoles, they're obsolete already anyway compared to the latest PC tech (especially bad for the PS3 which is barely a year on the market), so who cares.. There's more in life then just money (that's the only reason they port to the consoles), like making the best FPS games arround on the best available platform..

19. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Valve says i'm right,
    EA says i'm right
    Gran Turismo says i'm right, if it was an easy console that would have been a launch games.
    The PS2 was very powerful for its time and also difficult to work with but there was very little other option, the dreamcast and gamecube never really took off so if you wanted to make console games to sell you had to deal with sony. This gen 360 and PC games are virtually interchangeable and the wii has a huge market share so the question becomes... why bother!

20. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

ps3 is poor for the source engine which was orignaly designed in an era of single core 32bit CPU's. Porting the source engine is just silly as the PS3 is a dying console anyway.

Tags: Add Tags