1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: MCE V.2 [Update - May 19th - Matrix Orbital mayhem!]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Sleepstreamer, 20 Nov 2007.

1. widmod

widmod Minimodder

maybe you want to use a flexible PCI-E riser card to prevent the monitor cable comming out at the top and to make the case slimmer

2. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

Glad to hear it :) Nope, sorry. I did'nt bother to make a worklog for it. There are some more pics of it available here though (http://www.sweclockers.com/album/?id=465).

Yup, some kind of riser is most likely a necessity.

3. HeZ

HeZ What's a Dremel?

4. Sleepstreamer

Yeah, I've checked these risers out before, the only thing I'm worried about is the height. It kinda looks like they're a tad to high to fit in the case, but because it seems like it's hard to find these things here in sweden I think one of those will have to do.

I've done a quick sketch of the finished MCE v2:
    [​IMG]

This is by no means final, but at least I don't have to work out the design 'on the fly' :)

5. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

After your awesome Hanger 101 I really look forward to this project.

I'm a little confused though - is that sketch showing the front or the back of your mod? (I'm hoping it's the back.)

6. Sleepstreamer

Obviously it's the back. The front is basically a large screen so...

7. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

:Thumb: That's what I thought it must be. It's just that you have "LCD" written on the back and that confused me. (Maybe I should have another coffee before I start posting :blush:)

8. widmod

widmod Minimodder

flexible Risers!!

[​IMG]
    Flexible riser
    these are PCI versions but i have also seen PCI-E versions

9. Sleepstreamer

10. widmod

widmod Minimodder

these look good
    i like the reflecting cable shields

11. Sleepstreamer

Update

I made these bars at work, and they're 15mm steel bars with M8 threads in each end.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also bought a pair of UNC 6-32 taps so I can tap the holes on the MB tray. (Why the hell did the manufacturers pick such a strange thread?)
    [​IMG]

Made a couple of Mounts which will slide onto the steel bar. These will hopefully help me mount the back panel. Not sure how many of these I'll use though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Enlarged the holes on the side panels a bit larger so the M8 bolts could fit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks good! :D
    [​IMG]

As you can see I've put the hdd cage in place now.
    [​IMG]

I think the next thing to do is a stand for it. Byebye til then.

12. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

6-32 is US electrical standard. Everything electrical in the US uses it, so it got carried over into computers.
    -Loving your design.:rock:

13. Sleepstreamer

Thanks alot man, you learn something new every day :)

14. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

very nice ! did you use a CNC to make those plexi-glass Mounts ?

15. Sleepstreamer

16. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

WOW that's a nice tool !!!! I wish I had a machine like this one :waah: !

17. doubble_d

doubble_d mystery box

so nice i saw the v.1 on sweclockers and i love it cant wait to see this one

18. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

This project shows great promise! You seem to have the skill to make something awesome. Will keep a close eye on this. *subscribed*

Btw, did something happen to the threads on top left plexi mount? Used to much muscle power while screwing it in by any chance?

I hear ya brother! I've been looking around for one of these, and it seems like I will have to order from the states :sigh: ..it's going to cost me an arm and a leg with shipping and customs tax. Especially since I need a really long one. :wallbash: Oh well, like we say in Sweden "it costs to be on top" <=)
    http://www.orbitmicro.com/global/pciexpressx16maletofemaleextendercable-p-759.html (straight)
    http://www.orbitmicro.com/global/pe...exibleextenderforpciexpressx16bus-p-4354.html (right-angle)
    I'm thinking about maybe getting a 7cm flexible riser as cheap as possible, and then modding it with longer flat-cables(?) to get the length I need. Not sure if that would degrade signal quality to much.. will need to research that later.

Anyway, sorry for rambling, looking very good so far! Keep it up! :thumb:

19. HaoKi

HaoKi Lleno de anguilas!

This project looks great so far. Just wondering what power supply your using here... What about the hardware, can you tell us or is the setup still a secret? ;)
    Really hoping to see more of this project soon.

20. Sleepstreamer

Sorry about the delay. I'm currently waiting for some lasercut panels, but since it seems like they're taking a bit longer than expected so here's the update :)

Macros_the_Black: Hehe, yup it kinda broke :blush:, but I'm not too sure if I'll be using those later on anyway, so maybe It's a sign? I've actually ordered one from Linitx.com (http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11679 - Highly recommended!). The delivery to sweden took about 4 working days and I'd have to say that's very respectable! :)

HaoKi: As it looks right now I've got two options; 1: The 1U 350W psu I've placed on the back of the screen. 2: A 650W Antec psu I have laying around here. And I'll probably strip down the 650W to make the entire project a bit more upgradeable. I've bought an AMD A64 X2 4800+, and 2GBs of DDR2 PC6400 memory. We'll see about the graphics :)

Okay, so the project needs a stand. I built it from 10mm thick transparent acrylic. These first two parts will hold the screen itself the the legs. Hopefully, by doing it this way, you can tilt the screen a little depending on how high you sit.

[​IMG]

Got some solid aluminium rods to help me with the mounting of the whole thing.

[​IMG]

Also got a M8 tap and some bolts.
    [​IMG]

Cutting the rod a bit. Nothing fancy here :lol:
    [​IMG]

Tapping teh ends :)
    [​IMG]

Mounted the acrylic parts on the bars, and put the thing in place on the back of the screen.
    [​IMG]

The legs themselves were also cut from 10mm acrylic. Made a small slide in the acrylic to make the screen tiltable (correct?).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And Behold! :lol:
    [​IMG]

That's it for this update, next one will arrive when I get my lasercut panels. Bye til then :)