1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Unreal Tournament 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 23 Nov 2007.

1. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

This surprises me somewhat. Unless you have the reaction time of a bluebottle, you shouldn't be able to distinguish any difference above a frame rate of around 50 fps. This is one of the reasons most monitors are capped at 60Hz, as people simply wouldn't be able to distinguish anything quicker than that. Most cinema releases only have an fps of 24fps, and no-one complains at that.

Although in reality there's the added factor of motion blur. The human eye adds motion blur to a movement to give the illusion of fluidity, even though the human eye can't see at a particularly high frames per second. In actuality, with motion blur, something can run as slowly as 18fps and look smooth. So what we really need are games that add motion blur to every single frame, then we can run at like 20 fps and it'd still look great!

For a thoroughly comprehensive, but rather interesting read on frames per seconds, check out this page: http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

2. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

A Thought: What mouse do you use? It could be that there is some confusion with sensitivity settings and acceleration. If your mouse has sensitivity changing or software with it then that may conflict with the mouse sensitivity setting built into windows and the one inside the game. Also, make sure that mouse accelleration is turned off in the windows options.

3. Jodiuh

Jodiuh What's a Dremel?

"There’s the standard three game types – Deathmatch, Team DM and Capture The Flag. If I need to explain how these work to you then you should probably stop reading the review here and go find a hammer to destroy your computer with. There’s no hope left for you and you probably can’t even handle a game of Pong. Honestly, I’m surprised you’re even liteerete literate."

Why does this **** land in BT's reviews?

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Sorry :blush:

If you can give me some more constructive critiscisms, preferably via email (Joe.martin@bit-tech.net), then I can work on making my reviews more to your tastes in the future if possible. Otherwise, it's just a joke dude!

5. Shnooter

Shnooter What's a Dremel?

lol who is this reviewer? Does he actually HAVE a gaming machine or is he even a gamer?

low FPS? wtf I get 20FPS when recording via fraps! and then 60FPS when playing normal, and thts with all the settings on high. Now with the rig he said he must have serious virus or windows issues cuz my rig is near as good as that and you can see my results are WAY higher

QUOTE:
    The Ageia PhysX stuff isn’t immediately part of the game. You can enable the hardware acceleration in the menu and supposedly you’ll get some benefit in terms of performance but honestly we couldn’t tell the difference. In vanilla UT3 the game still has realistic ragdolls and debris.

WRONG! The Physx is immediately part of the game cuz it's the physics engine! god word things correctly, the Physx --->CARD<----- isn't immediately part of the game but Physx IS.

I wish reviews would acutally do some research into things before ripping them to bits.

6. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I have read about this a few times and know that theorically, I shouldn't be able to see the difference between 50 and 80fps but somehow, I do. I won't be able to see the difference between a rock stable 50fps sequence or an 80fps one. However, it's the drop from 80 to 50 that I can really feel, especially on the mouse sensivity. This always has been a problem for me, it's nothing new. I also never really met someone who has the same problem except maybe my best friend who's a CS addict

I use a Logitech MX518 @ 1600dpi without any software installed. Mouse accel is disabled in the game and in windows as well. The refresh rate of the usb port is not tweaked and should be at the stock 125hz

He's right above you ...

you sound like a 13 year old kid and you don't deserve any kind of answer to your post imho

7. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

I liked it :)

In all honesty - if someone said "There’s the standard three game types – Deathmatch, Team DM and Capture The Flag" to me, even if I didn’t know anything about games, the names are pretty bloody obvious .....
    You should be able to work out what they mean even without knowing

I like bit-techs humor, it makes the articles far more interesting to read, and you know their saying what your thinking anyway ;)

The guy who posted right before you, btw, do you actually read, it says who the reviewer is at the top of the page - plonker

Btw, out of interest on your "uber" machine, what resolution do you have UT set to?

8. MachineUK

MachineUK What's a Dremel?

Love the Unreal games!! They can do no wrong by me as long as I have a Flak in hand!!!! ;)

9. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I hoped it would look at least as good as UT2004 did on my system, but unfortunately it looks like doom :(

Still a good game though.

I quite like Joe's reviews, he's got a (warped) sense of humor and like's to include it in his articles.

10. Jodiuh

Jodiuh What's a Dremel?

To each his own. I typically enjoy the game reviews, but have been put off as of late. No matter, there's more than enough review sites around to cater to all of us...twisted or not. :D

11. Shnooter

A lot of people look at one site and believe that it's correct and don't get a general view. I work in retail and the amount of customers that comes in saying that such a make is the best when it isn't since we've had the reps from the companies tell us about their products and additionally tried them out extensively.

Looking at the review I would say yes this guy has got low FPS although he hasn't seen what people have managed to get since I know that you can get higher FACT. I get a steady 60 FPS FACT and I can get a screenshot to proove it. Additionally like i said before my specs are very similar to what they used. Here they are:

AMD AM2 6000+
    2GB RAM OC'ed to 800MHz
    8800 GTS 640MB OC'ed 690/1060MHz Core/Memory
    80GB SATA HDD
    Asus Physx card

Now if you want proof that you get a good experience then just say and I will proove it to you. Some people have been having FPS issues although I would say it's down to the setup since there is proof of a good FPS speed.

12. Shnooter

Forgot to mention, running on 1680 by 1050 res ^^^^

13. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

There are a few other factors though, XP or Vista? Which gfx card drivers? etc..

Btw, it's prove, not proove.

14. Jodiuh

Jodiuh What's a Dremel?

Now that IS funny. :rock:

15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

haha, so true. any sane person would buy a 500GB HDD rather than a Phyx card.

16. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

:lol:
    I'm sorry, but I don't really agree here
    if you don't need 500gb space, and you want to spend your money elsewhere, why _not_ get a physics card?

In all fairness, if i wanted to waste my money I would move to Core2, and get the 8800GTX, However, we have no idea how he came to getting that card, maybe it was dirt cheap, maybe a gift, or even free
    BTW CardJoe, what resolution do you test at? I'm guessing 22"?

I'm not surprised Shnooter can get 60FPS solid, he has a very respectable rig, and 1680x1050 is a reasonable gaming resolution, however, I'm guessing BitTech rolls a bit bigger ;)

17. DanAgeia

DanAgeia What's a Dremel?

This is an official post from AGEIA regarding the Extreme PhysX Mod Pack (“Tornado” and “Lighthouse”) that we helped to develop for Unreal Tournament 3. When used with a PhysX accelerator in a gaming PC that meets the minimum system spec, you’ll see a wide variety of new physics features that add a new dimension to the game and are quite fun with direct physical impact to gameplay. Note also that the system “min spec” for this Mod Pack includes a dual-core processor and high-end GPU. And you must be sure to activate the physics hardware in the options panel before playing. It’s all quite standard stuff for experienced gamers, but we’ve seen other examples of gamers who simply weren’t aware that the PhysX accelerator was not activated from within the game.

We appreciate the review by Bit-Tech to get the word out to the gaming community. However, based on the report of a performance level of “4-7 FPS”, it’s clear that the PhysX hardware was either not functioning in the system or that it was deactivated. When used with a PhysX card, these levels will absolutely not perform at this low level. In fact, this review is beneficial since it demonstrates the low performance one would expect when so much physics is being processed WITHOUT the benefit of the PhysX processor. If you download the mods yourself and try them with and without a PhysX accelerator, you’ll see for yourself. There are also other reviews online which demonstrate solid performance with the PhysX accelerator and show the performance degradation when the physics is left to the CPU alone. Not only are these mods fun when used with a PhysX accelerator, but they also serve as examples of future mods to come and demonstrate physically-enabled game elements that we and other professional developers and modders will be able to create themselves. Note that these mods were done using publicly available Unreal Editor tools.

For more information, please check http://www.ageia.com/physx/ut3.html. Here you’ll find details on these mods, where to download them, and how to become a UT3 modder yourself. AGEIA will continue to roll out new modding content as well as a Modder’s Kit very soon.

18. cloudew

cloudew What's a Dremel?

I really think the update to this article should be stated AT THE BEGINNING. This is how scientific papers are written so as to avoid misunderstanding.

Tags: Add Tags