1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

name and shame: crap apps!

Discussion in 'General' started by sotu1, 23 Nov 2007.

1. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

You're probably gonna cause a lot of tears without explaining yourself there ;). Whilst I prefer using Windows over Mac OS, I don't really think it's bad software at all.

<A88>

2. udjamaflip

udjamaflip -

Windows XP inability to install SATA drivers off anything other than floppy disk, windows ME, My universities Email login system (hardly software but its ****ing useless - Javascript Eurgh!!) oh...and Itunes, Ilife, Quicktime player!!

Oh and...Itunes, Itunes, Itunes, Itunes.....

3. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

who would have thought that in a thread on crap software ive found some good ones to replace other things

4. knuck

knuck Hate your face

the internets has work its magic once again :D

5. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

Skype.. resource hog Grand Master..

Can i call MySpace an app?

6. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

no. we do not discuss myspace, lest its evil powers consume us all.

7. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

no you cant,but its crap anyway

8. ZenX

ZenX How are you gentlemen?

Nexxo: How come you say that anyone shouldn't use AVG? In my opinion it works just fine:eyebrow: Atleast better than Norton:blush:

9. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

iPhone OS
    Symbian
    Windows Movie Maker
    Adobe Premiere
    GameSpy
    MotherboardMonitor
    Symantec software
    Nero
    Azureus

Don't really get what people have against Vista, I like it a lot, runs really well and I don't run into problems people seem to get

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It does, but comaprative reviews have found that Avira works just a bit better.

And anything works better than Norton/Symantec. Except Norton/Symantec's PartitionMagic, which does exactly what it says on the tin. It reminds me of the good ol' days of Norton Disk Doctor, when their software was still good.

It just seems popular to diss something because it is different and new. I'm sure people said the same about XP once.

I for one have been using Vista for a few days and I just can't get over how polished it is. It is not obvious unless you actually use it for a while, but it is more than a pretty face: it just works. I've been customising and tweaking the life out of it and all the modifications just drop neatly into place, exactly as I want them. It seems almost telepathic.

11. DarkLord7854

Aye, that's been my experience with it so far, had a small hiccup when trying to play Starcraft but fixed that. A few performance tweaks would be welcome, like the calculating file transfer times, but other then that.. Don't regret buying Ultimate

12. knuck

knuck Hate your face

motherboard has not been updated in years... why bash it?

azureus works perfectly ... unless you're talking about the new version called Vuze, then yeah it's lame

yep, absolutely. They also said it sucked for gaming and win98 gave better performance. Of course at the time it was true, and so it is now for vista and XP but the thing is that once our hardware is really adapted for vista, we will not see the difference anymore. It's all about the hardware but yet, everyone hates the software (performance wise)

13. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Its the same with Office 2007, i know some people who hate it with a passion, where as im able to embrace new things and tbh, i prefer it to 2000/2003.

Sam

14. Fophillips

Fophillips What's a Dremel?

It's so finicky and hard to use due to its POSIX ignorance.

15. XeroNXS

XeroNXS What's a Dremel?

Windows ME
    Adobe Reader
    Real Player
    iTunes
    QuickTime
    Nero 7 & 8 (I am using 8 myself but unticked everything but Burning ROM during install)
    Winamp
    WinZip
    MS Paint
    All sorts of "customizing and speed up tools"
    Anything from Norton & Symantec
    The ASUS website (I just had to mention it sry)
    Any Logitech driver/software before 2k6.
    All ZoneAlarm products

16. monkeyville

monkeyville Evilish Monkey ++;

SonicStage deserves to rot in hell. Period.

17. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

i thought that too until i gave avira a try, but thats just looking at the interface and the speed at which it scans... now if i could find a decent firewall for those times im stuck in windows

18. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

I just met this software package last night. I'm appalled. You can't deselect any components during the install, and all the graphical elements are straight out of Windows 95. However, I will admit that despite its looks the scanner program gives a much more impressive array of options than Windows Scanner and Camera Wizard. On this same note, the Canon software is even worse.

Perhaps, but would it kill the Foxit people to develop some browser integration? Sometimes, I want my PDFs to open in Firefox.

Beyond that, what would this thread be without another vote for AOL? I've never in my life run across a computer with AOL installed which ran smoothly and quickly, and as I recall it doesn't even allow you to exit fully or disable the autostart without registry edits.

And only slightly less irritating are RealPlayer, Windows ME, the update and notification software packaged by Dell and HP, and the demo software included in every branded computer in the world.

Last edited: 28 Nov 2007
  19. DarkLord7854

MBM has never worked on the 9 different motherboards I've tried it on =\
    Azureus has the worst memory usage I've ever seen, and it loves to climb if you let your computer idle

<3 Office 07

Norton = made by Symantec >.>

20. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

just remembered another one. installshield update manager. the idiot techs installed this on all the windows computers at my school, and now every time you logon you get a message popping up saying "would you like to update", on the student accouts that don't have permissions to install updates. the thing is is it doesn't use the standard windows popup bubble, but a custom animated slide that can barely run on the computers, and it steals focus from whatever you are doing. and it is timed just perfectly so that every time i boot and open a browser it pops up and steals focus right in the middle of typing in the url.

wow. that was a big rant. sorry.