1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet another get-your-hair-cut suspension

Discussion in 'Serious' started by DarkReaper, 27 Nov 2007.

1. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

The school has an established dress code. The student violated the dress code. That just about sums it up for me. If he truly identifies himself by his hair, then perhaps he should approach the school board with a formal request to alter the dress code. He might have had better success if he'd drawn up a petition and obtained signatures from students and parents. Now he's backed the school administration into a corner. I imagine they'll go down fighting, if they back down at all.

My high school had a very basic dress code: shorts had to come to the knees, no exposed midriff, no open-toe shoes in the chemistry classroom Besides a few other minor rules, that was about it. I saw some students show up wearing slippers and pajama bottoms. By my senior year, the dress code became more stringent due to the number of kids that just didn't bother with their appearances.

-monkey

2. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I was refused admission to my private (extremely hardcore orthodox Christian) high school until I cut my hair. Doesn't seem like credentials or behavior matter anymore.

3. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

Personally, I think it's well past time that people STOP BEING SO PATHETIC. I was made to have my hair cut at school, and I didn't whine to the press about it. Seriously, I wish these people would shut up, nobody cares.

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

here in Portugal that is not a big problem, as long as the hair is not dirty and is presentable and the parents agree it looks ok then you are free to go.

5. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

thats silly jesus clearly had a girly haircut too!

6. wiby645

wiby645 Minimodder

didnt jesus have long hair?

edit: exactly wot i was thinking fathazza

7. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

The Western depiction of Jesus depicts him with long hair and a very white complexion, coming from the Middle East.

I mean, seriously. The guy didn't purportedly journey around with long, permed locks whose healthy, shiny hair would make Pantene Pro-V users jealous.

8. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

he used l'oreal actually and looked just like david ginola....

9. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Exactly, what self respecting deity would use Pantene.

10. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

"When I was at school we were allowed no hair, and no coats, in the snow, both ways."

Seriously, if his hair is somehow impacting his work or others work then chop it off, but it's not so there is no case for chopping it off.

11. dom_

dom_ --->

Schools want kids to look and behave in a certain way, hence the rules. The rules are clear and give to everyone. Why should one person be able to make exception of this and then moan when they punish him?

My school was very clear that all piercings had to be covered up with a plaster unless they where in the lobe, so i spent 2 years with most of my ears taped up. Tattoos where not allowed to be shown either, which made swimming competitions funny for me with big bits of tape all over my arms. But i still followed the rules. Didn't stop my own mini rebellion from happening.

edit: i had to google culottes know i have a name for trouser skirt things.

12. RTT

RTT #parp

Good on the school. Scruffy sod

13. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

it's kind dumb

must be a slow news day

14. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

The year after I left my school with a 6" ponytail, they changed the rules to disallow long hair for guys. They changed it back after a month or two of complaining, but not before most of the kids had had their hair cut already!

I like to think they waited because my mum was on the board of governors and I was friends with the VP, since that would have made it hard when I had refused to get it cut (Arrogant maybe but it is blatantly sexist)

15. dom_

dom_ --->

But the girls at my school where not allowed grade 2 shaved heads like the blokes.

16. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

QFT more or less. My school was similar with excessively long hair, but tbh so long as it's clean and not so scruffy that it gives the school a bad image I don't see the problem. I get the impression a lot headmasters like their students to be some sort of Aryan race or something, when they don't realise they've got 1000kids with completely different personalities and 'styles'. The kids get made to go to school, so they should really be cut a bit of slack on appearance. On the other hand, this kid does seem a bit of a drama-queen...whinging to the press about it like this and claiming he'd be 'depressed' if he didn't have his hair?! Get a ruddy grip mate.

<A88>

17. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Dare I say nearly worse than a girl? ;P

18. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Maybe that's what having girls' hair does to you...

<A88>

19. Major

Major Guest

Who says having long hair is wrong? who says having short hair is right? maybe men are suppose to have long hair and women are suppose to have short.

At the end of the day, it's nothing to do with the school, dress code fine, that's something I agree on, but hair? ****ing twats, only twats run schools at the end of the day anyway to be quite honest.

20. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I have semi-long hair now and I prefer it over short cuts. It doesn't take much work to tame it either and you've got much more fun styling options than the usual short cuts. A school fabricating a vague connection between long hair and unfavorable lifestyle or behavior can go to hell.