1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Briton Charged With Insulting Islam in Sudan Over Teddy Bear

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Gooey_GUI, 28 Nov 2007.

1. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Any body fancy buying some pigs and calling them all Muhammad. If they're going to be insulted you may as well insult them with some commitment.

2. Angleus

Angleus What's a Dremel?

This whole things just crazy, I mean you woman could be publically beaten, for naming a teddy! Could the headteacher of the school not have advised her agianst such a name for a teddy, if it was such a sensitive issue, long before it got this out of hand. Not to mention the fact it was actaully the children that named the teddy, the Im presuming muslim children, I know they are just kids, but surely if it is such an offensive thing to do, why would the children of chosen a name blashpemous (yeah I can't spell) to their own faith?!
    But to the point I think its time the British Government stepped in and looked after its own citizens, they do have that power right?

3. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Seriously this whole religion things getting riddiculous if the children wanted to name THERE class teddy muhammad wheres the problem? i find it highly unlikely that she FORCED them to call it muhammad, Perhaps the kids deserve to be punished aswell then?!

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Lets not tar every Muslem with the same brush here, just because some loony African country decides that common sense is optional.

At least the Muslem council of Britain has its head screwed on about it:

Tbh, as much as I hate to say it because Africa needs as much help as it can get, what do you expect if you work in some crazy-ass country.

As much as we'd like to laugh at the ****ing nutters - you can't say our government hasn't brought it on itself and its people.

5. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

This summarises it for me.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

In Islam, it is blasphemous to create "craven images" (bit like in Calvinsim, actually; the Dutch will remember the Iconoclasm of 1566 being taught in history class); hence there are no images of people or animals in Mosques or most Islamic art. Instead, Islamic art is known for its excellence in complex geometric pattern decorations.

To name a statue or representation of an animal or person after the prophet is considered blasphemous in more strict interpretations of Islam. Boys are exempt: in naming your child "Mohammed" you are honouring the prophet. In less uptight Islamic circles, however, no-one would take offence at naming a teddy in the same way. In fact, in Britain a stuffed toy is sold of a lion named "Adam" (another prophet in Islam) that is quite popular with children in the Muslim community. As a matter of fact, the British Muslim community is pretty much outraged by Sudan's actions.

Before we all get on our moral high ground and start cursing Mohammed and burning Mosques, let's remember how cpemma just pointed out that Western cultures (especially fundamentalist Christianity) have their moments too. It is OK to feel outraged but don't turn it into 'Fascism Light'. Remember that they're supposed to be the fundamentalist nutters.

And Bindi is right: this is not about naming a teddy bear, not really, any more than the riot about the Danish cartoons was about cartoons. This is about the Muslim world perceiving the West to have been merrily screwing over the Middle East for nearly a good century now. We have acquired a reputation with them just like they have one with us. They simply don't trust anymore that anything we do is not meant to exploit, slight or insult them.

Last edited: 29 Nov 2007
  7. Major

Major Guest

Lol yes it is, that's it, there is no more to it, why does every conversation have to go complex? They thought she named the Teddy, Mohammed, which is a protected name in Islam, therefore they take this as an insult as it's used in the wrong way i.e. what has a teddy got to do with a prophet. If it was a Danish, or even a Swedish teacher, the same would of happended, it's not because she is "British". It's their stupid law, living in the stupid 1800's, let them live like it, they are only hurting themselves.

8. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

What Nexxo said.

Moriquendi

9. Nexxo

Because life (if you haven't yet noticed) is that complex. If you review your history of the Middle East, in particular our involvments in it, you will notice that there is a lot of historical precedent for the animosity and distrust that most Islamic countries feel towards the West. As a consequence they are hyper-sensitive and reactionary. As I said before: just as Muslims have acquired a reputation in our world, so we have acquired one in theirs. It goes both ways.

10. macroman

macroman The One

I think you missed my point.

11. Major

Major Guest

Life doesn't have to be complex, people like yourself make life more complex than it needs to me, I keep things simple.

If I need to put a message across, it will be as short as it needs to be, not as long as someone wants to make it.

12. Nexxo

It shows. :p

You're not wrong. People could make life a lot simpler. But life is harsh, and it messes up people. And messed up people beget children that are messed up etc. And messed up people make life more complex than it needs to be.

13. Major

Major Guest

Aye I see what your saying Nexxo. :)

It's like writing a book, mine would be 100 pages, yours would be 400. ;)

14. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

What was your point?

Moriquendi

15. Nashua

Nashua What's a Dremel?

Do you think they allow you to call your dog Jesus and walk it in public in Vatican?

So here you go:

Always respect local rules that is rules obeyed by locals people.

This news seems fake, more likely to be a stupid hatred-pumping effort by ppl lobbying 4 war and you guys swallow all this BS... Now, THAT is scary...

16. Major

Major Guest

Yeah it's so fake that it's been all over the UK news channels, all newspapers, the Government has been involved, and a guy who had the same done to him was on the lunchtime news.

Please get your facts right before posting.

Last edited by a moderator: 29 Nov 2007
  17. Nexxo

That doesn't mean that 300 pages are superfluous. Abstracts are good for getting the overall picture, but in the end the devil is in the details. ;)

Let me explain by a simple rule: "Thou shalt not kill". A good, simple rule, no?

But what if some maniac is trying to kill you or your family?

But then again, what if he is acting this way because someone killed his family?

There you are: already things are getting complex. If only everyone had adhered to that simple rule "Thou shalt not kill"; we wouldn't be having to deal with this crap now. But people generally don't. People make things complex because they are simple.

Last edited: 29 Nov 2007
  18. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

I'm quite surprised someone in her position, who lives and teaches in a country which has comparatively strict laws compared to where she came from, wasn't aware that naming or visually depicting something as Muhammad was an offense. The reaction by the government, whilst in my opinion is over-the-top and completely irrational (a slap on the wrist would have been fine), probably stems from the ignorance many Westerners have towards traditionally Eastern faiths and the contempt many of us show towards their more extreme laws and values.
    The ironic thing though is that this woman worked at a school which was supposed to improve inter-faith relations and allow the kids from Christian and Muslim backgrounds to appreciate each other's belief systems and not create social divides because of it- all the Sudanese government are doing now is exposing the drastic differences between the two faiths and ruining the perception the children might have that people of different religions can peacefully coexist.

<A88>

19. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

Here Here!

Oh wait, nevermind. Let america do it and then two years after when everyone has forgotten about the incident, stab us in the back and call us hateful warful people.

20. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

This isn't a case of religion being stupid, its clearly EXACTLY THE SAME as MANY American Lawsuits that are absolutele ****ing ridiculous. The man who claimed insurance because his cigars set on fire then got thrown in jail for arson? It isn't the object or the law, its the people that enforce it that are retarded.

Anybody been sent to jail for treason recently after putting a stamp on upside down ?