1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress AppleCoreDuo

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cyprio, 2 Dec 2006.

1. HaoKi

HaoKi Lleno de anguilas!

Nice clean work. :)

2. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Ahhh...you made real good progress since I last checked - coming together nicely :) Looking very good, considering the humble beginnings.

Quick question, I may have missed it- where/which top did you use for the 2x DD@ pumps? I am looking for something similar, as I have one DD2, and one DD5, but the DD2 will look so much sleeker in a x2 configuration.

Keep up the great work, glad to see you have sponsors!

Mine is all at my own cost though :(

Hehe - life is tough.

3. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Posted over in your log mate about the pump top.

As far as the cost of this case... i dont want to start tallying it up as i might have a heart attack! :)

crimandevil: cheers, that might come in handy. I wanted an external button for the drive though as i thought it would be simpler.
    HaoKi: Thanks!

Cyp.

4. drdro

drdro What's a Dremel?

very professional, fine lookin work there. the white leds give a nice accent to the hardware. really impressive!
    i was wondering, (i know this might sound a little weird) but could you tell me diameter of one of those little holes -> those that you cleaned with the tissues. thanks man

5. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Cheers man.

Holes are 3mm. Got a little 'hole fetish' going there? :)

Maybe we could start a help group...

6. drdro

drdro What's a Dremel?

thanks man. maybe i do need some help. lol though i wanted to know as i found some 'mesh' which looked just like the front of the G5 and was wondering if it was the same (1mm bigger ^^) anyway, thanks again and mod on :dremel:

7. eNoremac

eNoremac What's a Dremel?

Hey Cyprio, So far Case looking good.. I wanna let ya know I tried that soldering the wires to the switch for the DVD but for some reasons it doesn't work.. I am wondering if I did something wrong here.. I used the electrical solder and just took the button off and added the wires onto the swtich part and then extended trhough the Box through the opening and plugged it in to test it but no go.. Did you use special wiriing? Let me know..

Enoremac

8. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

No special wiring. Im no electronics expert eNoremac - i just followed what someone else told me to do. I didnt remove the switch though on mine, its still there. Maybe that's the difference? I would post in the other section of the forum as people there know more than me on this! :)

Cyp

ps will update with work over the weekend if i get time tomorrow!

9. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

More cleaning, front I/O panel, more sponsors, radcover!

Hey all. :dremel:

I have been a bit busy lately and so havent had time to update the log as much as i would have liked but i've finally found a spare hour tonight! I have been working on the case whenever i can squeeze it in so the following is work i have done over a few days rather than one sitting like usual.

Anyone want some holes cleaning... i'm an expert now!

Not that exciting really but thought id post a picture of the difference it makes as some people might be thinking "Why the hell is Cyp spending hours on this when he could be modding?!". I am still using would up PC screen wipes as i havent found a better way to do this. The front panel took me the best part of 3 hours on and off with tea and biscuit breaks.

This shows me roughly half the way down - quite a difference eh? :)

[​IMG]

I/O port

This was simply a matter of cutting out the old Mac G5 grey coverings and sanding them down to fit the case. I thought about painting them black but decided i quite liked the grey as it defines them well. I also left the Pink and Green standard covers for the mic and line out respectively for ease of distinguising the sockets.

Close up - looks like i need to do some polishing!

[​IMG]

And the case as it stands:

[​IMG]

Sponsors :clap:

I huge thanks to Brett, Tim and Richard from Bit-tech for setting me up with some hardware sponsors.

You guys rock! :thumb::rock: As do the people at Abit and BFG for shipping me a IP35 Pro and 8800GT OC respectively.

Goodies:

Abit IP-35 Pro

[​IMG]

Will need to think about how to cool it as the EK blocks i have sadly wont fit. :(

[​IMG]

BFG 8800GTS OC

[​IMG]

I will also have to change the EK 8800GTS to a GT block - fingers crossed i can swap it!

[​IMG]

Brett tells me he has some other tricks up his sleeve as well, so i cant wait to see what these are! :jawdrop:
    (Edit: well, tbh i do have some idea - just dont want to count my chickens before they are hatched!)

Radiator cover

As you know by now AppleCoreDuo will be fully watercooled. The blocks might have to change somewhat as mentioned above due to new hardware but the radiators remain the same: A Thermochill PA120.2 and a Swiftech MCR-120. Now, i am wanting to keep the insides of the case as clean as the outsides and this means hiding stuff like cables.

What a mess! As you can see its all a VERY tight fit

[​IMG]

So first things first - mock it up in cardboard to get a rough idea of measurements - i knew why that Amazon cardboard would come in handy...

[​IMG]

I got so excited about my first attempt at bending plexi that i forgot to take a pic of transferring the dimensions to the plexi so use your imagination of what the cardboard would look like flattened out!

These are the tools i had at my disposal:

[​IMG]

I also had one large kitchen table and a willing housemate to hold the wood down whilst i heated the plexi! It was 3mm black plexi that needed about 60-80 secons of the 'High' heat setting on my heatgun in order to bend. I heated the outer side of the bend. I obviously couldn't take any pics whilst i was doing this but we did take a vid that i will post as soon as i have edited it. :)

Fitting inside empty case. The white covering melted a bit but that didnt effect the plexi.

[​IMG]

And with the mobo installed. It is designed to sit just over the ATX cable to hide that ugly beast! As you can see the HDDs will have to sit in front of the PA rad.

[​IMG]

And some final shots - i will take some better ones in daylight but these will have to do for now.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

And a close up shot:

[​IMG]

I now need to work out where all the holes, rad grills, watercooling tubes etc will be going... and probably some more LEDs.

Stay tuned... almost there!

Cyp.

Last edited: 30 Nov 2007
  10. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

wow, that added a whole new dimension to the internals.
    congrats on the sponsors!
    also, how much clearance is there between the plexi and the exhaust fan on the side?

11. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

oh noes! ur mobo is upside down!

Just kidding, good work.

12. headala

headala What's a Dremel?

i like it...the clean lines of the mobo cover is right up my alley. You could use a pipe cleaner (at craft stores) for the holes. It might make it easier though I don't know if they are 'fuzzy' enough.

13. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Nice going :)

Luv the "windage tray" for the mobo, and the sponsors - yeay!! You deserve it!

Keep going, this is going to be awesome when done.

14. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

500mph - there is no clearance as i designed it to be flush with the rads. I will be cutting ventilation holes to allow airflow into the case. ;)

Headala - i actually tried pipe cleaners but they were too fuzzy and not stiff enough to remove the powder.

Legoman and MrBean -:thumb::D

15. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

You might want to change this:

"8800GTS OC respectively"

to 8800GT OC respectively

16. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Thanks, well spotted!

17. sik19

sik19 What's a Dremel?

Hmmmm nice Hardware for a nice Case :thumb:

18. DoOb's

DoOb's Overclocker/Modder

yea very nice hardware just got my GT last week friday, gotta admitted sooo much better than a old GTS.

Good work Cyr, i havent been here for a while so seeing your work makes me wanna get down to mine so badly, will soon tho, money i now have at my disposal.

Keep it up

19. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Yeah i know what you mean Doob. Recently i am finding it harder to squeeze in the hours due to Christmas but whenever i check out other people's projects i immediately want to get to work on finishing this off. :D
    I have some annual leave coming up next week so i can hopefully get some done then.

Cyp.

20. olddaphon

olddaphon MADMODDER

G5 CASE MOD.

JUST GOT ONE OF THE G5 CASES FROM EBAY AND YOU GAVE ME A LOT OF GOOD IDEAS.
    NOW I NEED THE TIME TO START ON IT, THANKS RICK