1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Proper n00b. Which Camera? HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by PHILIP1193, 1 Dec 2007.

1. PHILIP1193

PHILIP1193 a Self Confessed HP Server Lover!!

Hey Guys

I need some advice, ill describe what i wanna do and then you tell me what i need as i really dont know where to start.

I really am a proper n00b with cameras i dont know my digital SLR's from my Manual 35mm Camera's (i do really) but i dont know a lot.

I want to be able to take good crisp photo's and with winter coming up, winter frost is a good chance to take some nice early morning shots of fields glistening. I want to play with motion shots, car lights at night, streams running etc etc.They are my main two wants.

Please help, i dont know what i need. Is it a digital SLR or a more basic digital camera? I want to spend about £200-300 at tops (as it will poss be a xmas pressie)

Would a cannon g9 be what i need maybe? Any help would be appreciated. I'v read up on the cannon 350d and i think it maybe ott, for my starting out? Or is it?

Phil

2. OleJ

OleJ Me!

It sounds to me like you should go for the 350d if it's within financial reach. IMO You really need a dslr if you want those real crisp shots. The only downside compared to a semi-compact is that the lenses are less versatile although of better quality.

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

You can't go wrong with a 350D, but be warned that if you really get into photography, you'll end up spending a lot more. You'll get some good shots with a high end point and shoot, but don't expect to ever get anything as nice as with an SLR - ONLY because of the fact that an SLR allows you a lot more control over the shot settings, in general (it's still up to the person behind the camera to make shots go from decent to amazing).

4. PHILIP1193

i think iv seen a big debait about this some where, but what about a nikon d40? it seams a bit cheaper and from what iv read its newbie friendly by giving you tips and instructions on how to take better shots. Maybe that would be better for me? Or is the 350d really that much better?

Phil

5. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

It all boils down to your personal preference, really. I believe the Nikon D40 has been replaced with the D40X. The essential differences are a few more megapixels (which doesn't amount to much), lower base ISO (from 200 to 200), and a half-frame faster continual shooting. If you can find one second-hand, the D40 might be right up your alley. It certainly will do the trick.

The Canon G9 is certainly a capable camera. My initial thought was 12 megapixels jammed on a small sensor might yield pretty noisy photos, but looking at the sample images over at DPreview, they look pretty good. It features manual controls for those "artsy" shots you want to take. Personally, I think if you're going to spend that much on a camera, you might as well get a DSLR (either brand). It'll offer better image quality, and you'll have greater flexibility if you decide to purchase additional accessories. Early morning frost and night shots with light trails all require relatively long exposure times, and DSLRs handle these situations better than compacts, in my opinion.

The Canon 350D is also quite capable. As with the Nikon, the 350D was replaced with the 400D, so if you can find one second-hand then you're all set.

Really, though, I would go to a store and play around with each one. You may like the feel of a DSLR better than a compact, but the compact may be more portable. You might find the Nikon's menu more intuitive, or perhaps you're a Canon guy. Play around with them and see which one fits (both physically and metaphorically).

Both systems do very well, and these days you can't really say one is better than the other. Cameras don't take good photos, the person pressing the shutter release takes good photos. :thumb:

Hope that helps.

-monkey

6. PHILIP1193

thanks monkey i really appreciate your input.

I think ill go to jessops tomorrow and have a play with both. :)

Phil

7. Boogle

Boogle What's a Dremel?

The D40 hasn't been replaced ;) They're both parallel products.

8. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Sorry, while still available and supported, the D40 is out of production. The D40x is still in production in Nikon's Thai factory.

9. Boogle

Boogle What's a Dremel?

No no, my bad. I thought the D40 was still in production. A D40X pricedrop is imminent methinks, since Nikon would be crazy to let the D40's price point go missing. It's cheaper than the Canon competition afterall.

10. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

11. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

Sorry for offtopic, but I just looked at the link and realized that US dollar is worthless... =(

12. PHILIP1193

just as an update, i got a silver d40 for chritsmas, im totally blown away by the quality. still getting to grips with shutter speed, aperture and everythign else that goes with it.

Thanks for all your help guys. Been hunting for something to photo for the POTM but nothing that reed is around at the moment.

Regards

Phil

Tags: