1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nehalem details spill through the Tubes

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 3 Dec 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. BlackMage23

BlackMage23 RPG Loving Freak

Yeah, they are milking the enthusiasts. Think about how much one of the boards will cost to go with that. Intel could be shooting themselfs in the foot with this one as they find some enthusiasts may go green.

3. mutznutz

mutznutz Cos Ive got a beard u label me evil

I've been looking for an excuse to go back I'll be honest :) ... that may be it :D

4. Nix

Nix What's a Dremel?

I thought they were sticking with the LGA775 socket until at least q2-q3 2009

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

It's impossible, given the change of architecture it's about to embark on. Intel has been with LGA775 since the dawn of PCI-Express, which was in the first half of 2004. The fact it's moving away from MCM to a DC architecture is quite a significant overhaul - as significant as AMD's move from MCM to DC.

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

A new chip, a new motherboard, seems to have been that way with Intel chips for a long time, the number of boards I have had to change for a VRM or some other rubbish when you'd expect a simple drop in is ridiculous, I thought things were changing with 775 what with P$ and C2D and C2Q but with the recent 680i and 45nm incompatibilities it would seem not, I guess it won't change in the future either.

7. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

It looks complex, sounds powerful, capable, and above all, extremely expensive. :blah:

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Absolutely. Intel claim to have the socket for x number of years, but you had to change from 925X to 955X for dual core CPUs, VRM changes during P4, from P4 to Core 2, 680i to 780i and next that.

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i hope Intel does not screw up again..... not this time..... and i hope they use the same socket for all their nehalem cpus.....

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

They aren't, as said in the article - they will be split between two sockets.

11. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

The HT sounds great for a server, but is it necessary for desktops?

If I am playing a game which has 2 threads, how do I know it is using 2 cores and not 1 core and and the HT? This sounds as if it could potentially hurt performance if the processor management can't tell the difference.

We are just starting to see a benefit of 4 cores in a desktop PC (mainly for high end gaming or video encoding), is 8 really necessary right now? Current tech is moving at such a fast pace right now, the software needs time to catch up. My wallet also needs to catch up.

12. FragileSocks

FragileSocks What's a Dremel?

I still have only one (p4 631) and its working fine for me. No problems in any games. Don't really see a need for any more cores right now in games. It seems to mainly be the GPU that does the vast majority of the work in games, and while Crysis can take advantage of more cores it seems to do fine with just one.

13. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Did Intel say this? i prefer a confirmation from the horses mouth.....

14. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

ditto ;)

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well it's meant to be a much better implementation of hyperthreading. It's being reintroduced because the pipeline is being extended from Core 2 to Nehalem by several stages so it makes sense to make everything useful. It'll be interesting to see if the CPU works better with HT on or off.

DXR - no, this is *all* still unconfirmed.

16. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

If Intel did use two different sockets, wouldn't this just be what AMD did with the 754 / 939 chips. Cheaper on one socket, more expensive on the other?

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea, pretty much, but it depends what speeds and prices Intel wants to release the "939" chips at.

18. salesman

salesman Minimodder

well when i read this i was thinking about making just an average run of the mill PC using an amd processer, because its going to be so freaking cheap. which is what i like.

19. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

This is all for the end of next year/2009 though, if your building a cheap comp now I would not take much notice of all this

20. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I kinda got lost.. Which one do I want for gaming :hehe:

Tags: Add Tags