1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Firefox has 'at least' 126m users

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 3 Dec 2007.

1. mWMA

mWMA What's a Dremel?

Not sure why anyone would use IE considering most sites are now doing good support for firefox. I used to run into 5-6 a week which didn't display or work correct in FF but now it seem more like 1 or 2 at most a week. But, thank god for the IEtab extension in FF it is just a click to switch to IE engine to fix that.

2. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

Just personal feeling really I think but Firefox feels lighter than IE. Especially 7!

3. impar

impar Minimodder

4. Djizasse

Djizasse What's a Dremel?

I'm a developer and i've been using FF since v1. Only used IE when the site refuses to work in FF, but thanks to the IE bar plugin, not anymore.
    Now i'm using the FF3 Beta 1, it's faster. I don't even care for not being able to use mouse gestures (yet).

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

More people use Ff than IE :)

6. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

as they should lol

7. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

What sites don't work on FF these days (besides ms own site)? I haven't encountered one in two years. Though I do mostly use tech sites, which would be most likely to assure compatibility I guess.

Haven't touched IE in... two years? Anytime I use someone elses comp, I dl FF for them and show them, though I don't set it to default, that would be rude.

I have Opera, but rarely use it. For some questionable sites though, it seems more secure since no one really cares to exploit such a low userbase browser.

8. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

How were these statistics generated, if its based on some website monitoring clients that visit (and because you have geographical ratings, compare it to the IP address) its probably very inaccurate

I think a lot of sites are compatible

Possibly because FF now works better with badly coded sites
    And probably because most people now code to standards (and use validators to check it)

Because Firefox, opera and a few others actually follow the standards properly, they work well
    But IE still isn't anywhere near standards compliant and as such, still needs special coding for things to work (its a nightmare - sigh)

Edit:
    On that note, the BT main page has 55 errors :eek:

9. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Just need to follow the link.
    Your alternative is...?

10. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I often spot errors on the PC-Pro site
    Code:
     Demo - Discover How Quad-Core Intel Xeon Processor ...
    Though no browser will allow for those silly mistakes. :sigh:
    "Most" and "a lot" aren't good enough. Find a single site that falls over when you're trying out a new browser and you'll likely drop that browser. Firefox has had to adapt to poor coding or lose market share, but it still isn't as tolerant as IE, plus most commercial sites were written to work in IE and re-writes cost money.

Last edited: 4 Dec 2007
  11. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

Well the only real way (IMO) would be to have the browser phone home when you use it
    However, I wouldn't want my browser to do that (and I'm sure a lot of other people wouldn't)

There is no good way, unless every site on the internet all gathered statistics, that way, it wouldn't matter where you surf, But even then, you can fake your browser ID, and so on and so forth

The problem is, there is no good way, yet people still come out and quote these statistics, which are based on foundations so shaky that coughing could bring them down
    I find FF to work very well, and if you look at the source code for websites, you usually find them putting in fixes for IE6/7 - and that's it

But I personally probably only visit a handful of sites a week, so I doubt I see that much of the rubbish

12. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    No, they wouldnt be brought down. Its statistics, not reality. Its expected to be a model of whats going on in reality. Shouldnt be too far away from it.

Tags: Add Tags