1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News GameSpot officially comments on fired editor

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Dec 2007.

1. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

And the fact that Gamespot outwardly described their reviewing process as "screening the reviews and comparing them with competitor reviews to sustain a level of consistency" as well as the much-discuss publisher influence on review communities. What happened to journalistic integrity?

2. Strages

Strages What's a Dremel?

Any game that can't spell "grab" correctly gets an instant 0 in my book. If the developers can't even take their time to check for spelling and grammar (and I'm not even addressing the fact that they should have spelled it right in the first place), imagine what the code must look like. I'm surprised it even works.

As far as Gertsmann getting fired for the review? If it looks like a duck, talks like a duck, and walks like a duck.. it's probably a god damned duck. You'd think that Gamespot execs would be smart enough to figure out that firing the guy who reviewed K&L so soon after the review (and then editing the review and pulling the video review) would make it look like an awful big coincidence (see duck analogy above) to the public....but then again, the RIAA can't figure out that they need to stop treating customers like criminals, so maybe Gamespot execs just are that stupid.

Last edited: 4 Dec 2007
  3. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

That's because they were already on cocaine :)

4. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

If this had been the case from the start why did it take them so long to respond. I mean, if you're getting subscribers canceling left, right and centre and the media is reporting lies, you better get a press release out telling the 'truth' asap. A week later is too late to reverse the damage that's been done.

However, people will forget, googlers will continue to read, advertisers will continue to give them money. The only thing we can do is hope the general public vote with their mice and click elsewhere for their content.

5. jweller

jweller What's a Dremel?

I was pissed as well. But I have to keep reminding myself to be very skeptical of rumors. I try make sure rumors are backed up by credible proof and substantiation.

6. tornadolphin

tornadolphin What's a Dremel?

Have you lot seen the tags on the original post at gamespot? I'll give you them here:

:D:D:D

7. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

Yeah right Greg Brannan!
    I've deleted my bookmark. I don't see a reason to go back.They might have not fired him for that and it WAS all bad timing.... but the internet is a big place. There are just too many other sites, like this one, which are less of a uncertainty.
    What ever happened they handled it monumentally badly... that shows they either have no clue what's going, or are just inept.
    Plus the canned "suite" response from Greg betrays them as asshats.
    A candid "we ****ed up" response and maybe a video/podcast where they discus it would be a good idea. The big players in the incident need to get together on a TWIT (or game related podcast) that's neutral ground, state their case and try to save their reputation.

8. Carnival

Carnival Dremel a WHAT?!

Nice... they can tell us why he WASN'T fired, but legal constraints stop them from telling us why he was. Great. Thats really, really helpful.

As someone GS has stated: "What a wonderfully vague piece of journalism..."

9. tornadolphin

tornadolphin What's a Dremel?

The problem is we will probably never know for certain why he was fired. All the clues point one way but its obvious that both Gertsmann and Gamespot have been tied into some sort of non-disclosure clause that means they both have to put up and shut up because of Cnet's stranglehold on the site.

10. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

I remember Gamespot USED to be good a few years back but since then it has gone downhill.

Oh well money and greed ruins alot of things.

Ironically Gamespot has lost out big time both ways, it has lost one of their most senior editors and subsequently have also lost alot of advertising funding at the same time, double loss. Burn ...

11. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Lmao, how did you find that in the source code for the page?

Damage control, LOL.

12. Nictron

Nictron Minimodder

That was great, now that is the invisible ink that just tells you the truth. LOL.

13. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

So where does everyone suggest getting game reviews?

14. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

Personally, I prefer getting mine here, and from Penny Arcade.

15. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Electric Playground. They've been in the televised video game review service for 10 years. Their reviews of major titles are always done with two people with two unique opinions of the game. Sometimes I find their scores a little generous, but they are people who score big for innovation and uniqueness of the game experience.

16. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Personally, I just use my own judgement, with smatterings of Trusted Reviews, PC Format and Eurogamer.

17. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I do my own reviewing, download demo, like it buy it, dont like it dont buy it. And of i am not sure, i go to user review sites. If 200 users say it sucks. It probably will.

18. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

[​IMG]

here it is

Tags: Add Tags