1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Cubeleon

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by brinkz0r, 8 Sep 2007.

1. lworbey

lworbey What's a Dremel?

Wow how didn't I see this project before, looking very nice, keep up the excellent work!

Im tempted to use an alu frame for mine... :thumb:

2. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Thanks :) I'm trying to keep it up, it just takes a lot of time and patience :baby:

And another thanks ;) The alu frame is really easy to work with, although you can't tighten the bolts too much ;)

3. quietguy

quietguy D'orc

4. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Update 5

Just a little while ago I posted update #4, now it's time for another one :) I've been working on it for quite some hours, I hope I can make that visible ;)

Just last week I bought myself a new jigsaw, and it's already broken. Both of the bolts had no threading on them anymore. I'm not that strong, so it must have been sh*tty bolts :p I bought some new ones (made of real steel this time) and mounted them:

[​IMG]

Now I am finally able to use this tool :) We're starting off this update with the pump housing. With the way I designed it, it would not be possible to mount the whole thing. So I gave a little piece of aluminium a 2mm 'jog', as SolidWorks calls it :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one didn't work good, and on top of that it was hidious :D I had to redo that part, and to make it a little easier for myself, I used 1mm alu this time:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's much better, don't you agree?

[​IMG]

To be able to mount the top to the pump, I need to mod it first. At the corners, you see the 4 holes. I will re-use them.

[​IMG]

I used a scrap piece of plexi. Drawing, cutting, filing and threading a M4 thread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apply a little glue, and they're stuck on the pump. And they won't ever come off :hehe:

[​IMG]

I will show you how I use it, a little later. First I will be mounting the pump :) I made all these parts quite a while ago, so I thought the time was there to mount it. First I'm drawing out were it should come:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drilled the two holes, and mounted the pump with a rubber thingie (why have I forgot the name of that thing, I always knew what it was called :worried:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little fastforward, and the pump housing is mounted :) I mounted the top with M4 bolts, using the little plexi pieces from a little earlier. Normally I would use spacers to mount the top, but I think I lost them :duh: Don't forget that the top is mounted to the pump, and the rest of the housing is attached to the case. It took a little while to get that right, but it looks really nice now :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that I finished that part, we're going on with the radgrill :) In the last update, it still needed some filing. That's done now:

[​IMG]

And it exactly fits around the angle bars :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also drilled and cut the holes for the usb ports. To make it look good, I just had to cut some plastic of that hub :p

[​IMG]

Now that's finished, it's time for the plexi sibling. I could use the alu piece to draw the outer countours.

[​IMG]

Which made it a lot easier to stick the drawing on to plexi:

[​IMG]

A lot of blood and sweat and some broken saws later :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Because that ring is very thin, it's very weak. I needed something to file inside of the ring. That's why I used two mdf parts to support the plexi:

[​IMG]

Before I started filing the outside, I drilled the holes through both of the sheets. I also tapped a M4-thread to bolt the plexi to the alu. Now I know what lines I have to follow, so they will have the same size :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And from the other side, it looks like this:

[​IMG]

And after filing the plexi down :cooldude:

[​IMG]

Of course I will sand all of the edges, but I'll do that later ;) To finish it off, a blurry pic of the assembly:

[​IMG]

When I was thinking about the radiator grill, I knew something was wrong. I talking about this grill:

[​IMG]

And to be more specific, this plate is wrong:

[​IMG]

What's the difference between the design and the result?

[​IMG]

It's not that hard I believe? The piece in the center isn't supposed to be there, so I will remove it asap. There is another difference, but that's because someone on another forum thought it would looked nice this way, and I thought that too :p

To finish off this update, I have one last picture of a piece I recently recieved through the mail. A friend of mine used his cnc engraver to create this for me. I'm really happy with the way it came out, even though the words aren't exactly centered. It still needs a little extra polishing, but I will do that soon.

[​IMG]

And that's all for this update folks. I hope my english doens't suck this time. I'm finding it quite hard to write in english today, I think I'm getting ill :( Anyway, stay tuned for more updates :)

Last edited: 24 Aug 2008
  5. Koradhil

Koradhil What's a Dremel?

The rubber thingy is a grommet ;)
    Looks great! I really like the pump housing. Where do you get your 2mm aluminum?

6. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Of course, a grommet :duh: I bought the aluminium at school for €30/m2. You would be able to buy it also, just ask the teachers :)

7. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Update 6

It's about time that this project gets updated. I will post another one of my projects very soon, but I still have to translate it ;)
    I had this radgrill lying around for a while, but I never really finished it. That's why I started sanding the edges:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also cleaned up the holes. When they were made, I just made the hoses fit through, but the holes weren't really round. They are now ;)

[​IMG]

When I wanted to mount the whole radiator + grill, it didn't even fit. The sheet of plexi was about 1mm too large. So I filed it down, and then sanded it nice and even on my 'sanding belt' :p

[​IMG]

A little while ago, I bought a new usb hub, and I was afraid that it wouldn't fit. Fortunately there is still some space left. It's not much, but it's enough ;)

[​IMG]

I also bought myself this fancontroller. It's a Noise Controller for 6 fans (with 3 channels) and two on/off 12V switches. It's using PWM to control the fans, so that's very nice. I grabbed an image of the internet, because mine was just too blurry:

[​IMG]

These ones are mine though. One of the knobs came loose, showing that it's just a little piece of chromed sheet metal. I guess I'm going to replace those knobs. You can also see the red leds for ON, and green leds for OFF, that's a little weird don't you think :blah:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The back with 6 fan connectors, 2 12V connectors and a molex for power:

[​IMG]

And a top view:

[​IMG]

At this pic, you can clearly see the blue leds that make the plastic rings around the knobs light up:

[​IMG]

Like a true modder, I just started to disassemble the thing :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And started with cutting off the blue leds. Those were really weird, combined with the red en green leds.

[​IMG]

The fancontroller is too big for my case. Most likely, it will be sitting in the front, and I don't have more than 25mm of space there. So I will take off all of the connectors. Started with two fan connectors:

[​IMG]

And after a little while it looked like this. Took off the connectors and soldered the necessary connectors to some wires. And the best is, it still works :D

[​IMG]

That's all for this short update. I've done a lot more, but I need to finish that before I post it in an update :) You don't have to wait long for that ;)

8. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

nice progress, it would be cool if you could show us some pictures of the entire case.

9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Some nice work. The pump cover came out super-sweet. I'm looking forward to seeing the radiator covers in place.

10. C:\Joshy

C:\Joshy How much cake can you eat in a min?

Nice keep up the good work. Loving the finish on the aluminum =]

11. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

I would really like that also, but I always have it lying around in pieces. With every piece mounted, it's impossible to mount other pieces, and it's a lot heavier then :rolleyes:

And tnx everyone for the nice comments :)

12. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

hmmmm Looks like this project will become one of the MotM front page!

Looks very promising!

nice work on that!

13. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Update 7

Time for another update :) I have a lot more material than the pictures posted in this update, but writing large updates takes a lot more work :p

I designed the side panels, so it was time to cut out the design. For starters, a sheet of alu:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A bit rough, but I'll file it till it's right ;) My jigsaq is a little f*cked up, so it was quite hard to cut. The alu was cut, so I cut a sheet of plexi into three parts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Filing the alu part:

[​IMG]

And suddenly, you have three :D

[​IMG]

With both the alu and plexi sheets cut, I bolt them together to file the plexi to the exact same dimensions as the alu:

[​IMG]

Before:

[​IMG]

After :)

[​IMG]

And this is how the sheets of plexi look now. The chunks cut out are to mount the angle profiles, that I still have to make. I have to weld them, so I need some time at school. Unfortunately, I'm quite busy with school stuff already :p

[​IMG]

Those are done, now I can drill out the tapped holes in the plexi and tap holes in the side panel. This is how the right side panel looks right now:

[​IMG]

And the left panel:

[​IMG]

The final pic of this update is a picture of both the side panels. Both the panels are identical, except for the usb hub. This is the design I was looking for :)

[​IMG]

I still have to cut out the actual windows, but before I do that I have to weld the angle profiles. After that, it's very easy to mark and cut the windows :)

The past few days I've been busy with my brand new power supply. I've mounted it already, so keep your eyes on this topic ;)

14. jfab199+

jfab199+ What's a Dremel?

great work, can't wait to see how it turns out

15. Gup

Gup What's a Dremel?

Nice work so far!......man..... i see alot of hand made stuff, and done well. You prolly will have twice the arms u had before u started this project, as i see this amount of filling and sanding.....:thumb:

Another 100.000$ project in hours invested in it...:D

16. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

[Mr Burns] eeexellent! [/Mr Burns]

17. cheezeit

cheezeit What's a Dremel?

I'm glad to see you're still working on this, great work!

18. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

WOW theres some great attention to detail in your work. i love cuboid cases, they look so awesome

19. luis_pedro_Sato

luis_pedro_Sato Minimodder

Great mod whit the side panels.
    :thumb: Please skip school and get back to the case :clap: :clap:

20. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Thanks to everyone who posted, it's much appreciated :)

I guess I have, although my beltsander saves me quite some filing work ;) When we really start to calculate the costs of this project, I don't want to know the answer :rolleyes:

I'm trying, we already decided to stay home today :D