1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boarding/Skiing Holidays

Discussion in 'General' started by will., 5 Dec 2007.

1. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I'm starting to think about booking my Snowboarding/Skiing holiday. I'm going with a couple of friends this year. A good skiier and a not so good snowboarder (I'm a crap snowboarder, but I'll go down anything :p)

I've been to Chamonix a few times, and while its a really nice place, it was pretty dull in the evenings and the 3 main ski areas are all privately owned so its stupidly expensive if you want to get a full lift pass.

I've been looking into the 3 Valleys, mainly Courchevel. Has anyone been there? Being a snowboarder I like the off piste stuff but going with a newbie snowboarder and a skiier (who fears the powdery goodness!) it needs to have a mix of both. I'm looking into renting a flat/apartment for 7 days. They seem to go from about £200 upwards (£200 ones being pretty tiny and a bit out of the way it looks like). With 3, possibly four going we would be able to spend about £150 each on the accommodation but don't mind bringing sleeping bags and making use of the sofa. Then again.. After lift passes, equipment hire, flights and food is it going to be any cheaper than a package deal? I would say that even if we made a saving of £50 on self catering its almost not worth it just because of the hassle.

Also, I've always been skiing with groups of people, so there is always someone at someone else's level. No one is left behind. The newbie snowboarder has been to that indoor place near Leeds but that's about it. I'm a bit nervous that if he comes along he'll find himself out of his depth. I'll feel **** if I leave him to fend for himself and I'll be gutted if I stick around and waste my holiday. I think the best plan is to try and get another person who is new to snowboarding to come along as well. At least then they can be crap together :p

Oh and if anyone has any advice on snowboards for a 6 foot 1 person with big feet I'd be very grateful. My Mum is getting me some proper fitted boots for Christmas and I thought I'd treat myself to a board.

Anyone else got something planned?

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'm going on a Ski Holiday with SnowTrex.co.uk, they do packages (decided to simplify things a bit), we're off to a place called Val Thorens in the French Alps, and according to a friend of mine it's brilliant, because it's a quieter, less foreign-touristy type place.

For accommodation we plumped for 3*, and ended up paying ~£190 a piece for self-catering for 8 days, inc ski hire, and some lessons for other people were about £25 on top for 5 half-days of lessons.

For the novices I think that's the best way to go tbh, have a half-day of lessons then try and tackle some runs during the afternoon on your own/with mates. :)

3. Coelacanth

Coelacanth What's a Dremel?

Come to the good 'ol USA and ski Colorado. We have something like 9 world class ski areas in a 50 mile radius. Plus, according to what I have heard, the snow over there in europe is very icy and hard. Here (if you come when there is snow) it is nice light and fluffy. For a resort, come to Vail, there is a lot of terrain with every type of skiing/riding you could want (powder is only there when its been snowing though). Colorado is great, I have skied here since I was 6 and I have loved every year of it.

edit: Oh, plus the US dollar sucks right now, so you can get a pretty good deal too!

4. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Go to
    [​IMG]
    Avoriaz, a true ski city of Porte De Soleil.
    It has almost endless pistes. 650km total downhill. And it has a wide variety of pistes too. If you choose to stay in Avoriaz, take your time to go get a Fischer beer in Les Lindarets. When you get to Les Lindarets Go down into the valley and keep right look for the house on the right side of this picture. And of course go to Champoussin on the Swiss side, if you have the time, for a Steak Cheval. It tastes marvellous. When you cross through Les Lindarets from Avoriaz, take the next lift straight onto the other side towards Chatel and keep right. Take the lift up Cornebois mountain and follow the piste number 14 to get to a small place we call "The Shelf". Grab a beer and enjoy the sun.
    Oh yeah. Learn the three words. Demieux, Serieux, Grande. Just dont have to many of the last one. They make your skiing very badly. :hehe:

Remember there are enough pistes to get lost though and a cab has to go around the mountain. That is expensive. But you can get lodging for a night if stuck somewhere after the lifts close. :duh:

The layout is here and is astonishing.

I have been ther for many years now and hope to come back there once again.

5. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

Going to Whistler for a couple of weeks in March

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The real problem is that flights to the US are quite expensive at ~£400 per person iirc, bit much for a cheap skiing holiday. :p

7. Tsen

Tsen Steeped In Romance

Utah boarding > Colorado boarding. Utah has the best powder in the world.

8. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

I don't know about the best in the world, but it is bloody good. If I wasn't staying with friends in Whistler somewhere in Utah would definitely be in my shortlist for next year's trip.

9. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Was going to go snowboarding myself, but the times overlap with CES unfortunately. Ah well - surfing in the summer will suffice hopefully!

10. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

True, but as far as I know, there aren't any French in Colorado.

11. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I'm tempted to book a week in Utah mountain biking then the next week snowboarding. Would be an awesome trip.

12. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

been to courcheval every year more or less since i could walk, i bloody love the place. really good variation of difficulty, the off piste is also pretty varied but there is plenty of it too...

thumbs up for the three valleys man, you'll love it.

13. will.

That's a crazy-good deal!

Cheers for the link, I'll look into it.

I was speaking to my Dad this morning and he said I'd actually been to Courchevel before :p We went to one of the other valleys and on the last day skied through all three. Never knew that. I was only about 8 though.

I really would love to, but like people have mentioned, the cost of travel is almost as much as a whole holiday over here. I will do it at some point, but I'd rather have a 2 week holiday if I'm going that distance and that I cannot afford... Actually, I lie. I can afford, but no one else I'm going with can :p

Take body armour! A friend of mine went and came back looking like someone had just gone crazy on him with a sand blaster! He had an awesome time though!

Not that I actually mind, but I don't think there are any in the ski resorts either.
    When I was in Chamonix (one of the less touristy ski resorts) Nearly everyone I spoke to was from Sweden or England! Everyone speaks English anyway :p
    Actually, Chamonix's main attraction is a little Swedish bar just near the train station. At night it is the craziest place ever. Live bands most nights and seriously haaaawt womens :p There is something about a lady in tight thermals and baggy jeans :p
    Shame the rest of it was booring :lol:

Last edited: 5 Dec 2007
  14. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

Trued dat ;)

Corcheval is pretty good for a varied skill level group. It's a good idea to get a 3 valley pass so you're not restricted to just that resort. The big problem is that in the last 15 years those kind of places have become so incredibly busy (read: full of tools) but if you want something challenging you can allways try 'le grande couloir.'
    ... disclaimer; I take no responsibility for injuries obtained attempting to ski that thing.

15. will.

I have heard that... :(

16. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

Seconded!

There were girls with bikini tops on when i was there. I don't think skiing can get any better!

Try Arosa in switzerland; quite small, sort of beginners pistes but with lots of off piste as well people. It's also incredibly un-busy, and not very expensive. Practically unheard of, which is good:)