1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Battlestar Galactica Mod: Complete!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Boddaker, 27 Mar 2007.

1. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Yeah, they all seem to be different in little details like that, although they're all optical drives. That's why I stick with a particular model/unit, so I'm somewhat familiar with it before I crack the thing open and start fiddling with stuff. The real kicker is when the manufacturer changed to a new unit rebadged, but it's still listed as the same model #!

I'd love to see what you come up with, Bod; judging by the past work it'll be creative I'm sure. Keep it up, man!

2. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

If you want an activity linked LED and the drive is IDE then you can use the pin39 modification on either the IDE cable itself or the IDE adapter you'll be installing on the drive.
    I've done it before for a previous project, but here's the guide I found the most helpful.
    http://www.zapwizard.com/Guides/IDE/index.html

Is there some reason you're using a 50-pin-ATAPI to 44-pin adapter rather than a 50-pin ATAPI to 40-pin IDE adapter such as this one?
    https://logisysus.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=289
    44-pin would require an extra adapter cable to power the drive or a motherboard with a 44-pin ide connector.

Last edited: 3 Dec 2007
  3. Gnard_Smasha

Gnard_Smasha What's a Dremel?

For the LCD's, have you tried to use LCD Studio? I use it for my G15 keyboard, but the main reason for it's creation was for LCD's of all types. Do a google search for it; I know that a couple of modders have used it in their mods and the tech support that their forums has is pretty outstanding.

4. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

Well, I'm trying to hook it up so that I get a solid light when a disc is inserted. As Mother Goose pointed out, the blinking activity light would get kinda annoying after a while. :wallbash:

Oops! my bad, I linked to the wrong item. Yes, you are correct. I'm using a slimline to 40 pin IDE adapter. :blush:

I think that application is more for Matrix Orbitals and such. I will be playing full motion video on my screens. Although you bring up an interesting possibility of displaying system monitoring information on those screens, but in a galactica-ish way. I will have to look into the customizability of something like LCD Studio or Samurize, and make the readout BSG-like. That would be trick!

5. Boddaker

Ok update time! Work on the insignia and optical drive continues...

I managed to round the corners of all the little edge pieces and get them glued down to the etched ring.
    [​IMG]

The center consists of three pieces to be layered for that 3 dimensional look.
    [​IMG]

Here they are stacked up.
    [​IMG]

I added a secondary bracket that will hold the insignia in place over the optical drive.
    [​IMG]

Here's a shot of the inside of the assembled cover with the clear plexi (blue masking tape is on the other side of the plexi).
    [​IMG]

And here is the assembled drive mounted with the tape removed.
    [​IMG]

The whole insignia together. Center piece is not glued on yet.
    [​IMG]

Insignia on top of the windowed optical drive.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The insignia won't stay totally clear. I will be painting everything but the background in the center.
    The leds that will light up the drive will be inset behind the center piece hidden from sight. Should
    light up the drive internals quite well, and give a nice back-lit effect as well.

:cooldude:

6. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

the 3d insignia looks soo cool, thats gonna be crazy lit up :rock:

Displaying system info in a bsg-way, on the two side lcds, and looping bsg style video in the centre would be, crazy :rock: or maybe vice versa would be better! :rock:

I hope to see some more of those little dummy lcd's inside the landing bay and even in the pc case :D I also hope to see some more surprises!!! You must be making at least some of it up as you go along, there's no way you had all of this planned in advance :confused:

7. Lupo_IM

Lupo_IM ItaliaModding staff

wow!!! the insignia's great!!!! :D

8. Pfaffen

Pfaffen What's a Dremel?

Simply AWESOME!!!

9. widmod

widmod Minimodder

looking great
    i hope for you that the dvd-drive works

10. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

I love the work you did on the dvd-drive. Hope it still works. The 3d badge is just...breathtaking.

11. Boddaker

lol So far I have stayed pretty close to my original concept drawing, with the exception of the lcd cluster.
    [​IMG]

Oh ye of little faith! (I'm hoping it still works too! :p )

12. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

If it doesn't, I'm sure you can return it and get a refund.:naughty:

-If you bought it at a Fry's... They only care that all the parts are in the box. A month from when you return it, it will be back on the shelves!

13. FR34K

FR34K What's a Dremel?

forgot to ask, but where did you find such small LCD monitors?

14. Boddaker

LOL!!!

I got them from Millertech.com.

15. FR34K

FR34K What's a Dremel?

O.O I know where I'm gonna be occupied for about an hour...lol

16. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

LOL :thumb:

17. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

love that insignia/crest bod, very wise getting it made by someone else too, no doubt you could have done it but it would have taken weeks of hard work, whats the point when you can get it done for you in a few days? brilliant :thumb:

This thing is really cooking now :)

18. Clocked

Clocked Yar! It be drivin' me nuts...

5 star mod and i also thought of a switch you could use for the leds behind the BSG logo

Mock up

there are only 2 problems i can think of - possible scratching of cd's/dvds and also you'd need to mount it more off centre lest it might get caught on the hole in the cd/dvd, but considering your other option is a small switch located discreetly its the safer bet

I'll be keeping my BDI on this one...

Last edited: 7 Dec 2007
  19. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

That switch you mocked up clock would be contacting the inserted disk = alot of noise + scratched disk + probably read/write errors as the disk is vibrating from contact & being deflected slightly.
    There are a couple of places a small switch can be mounted, without contacting any components or restricting the arm movement, which would have no negative effects. I'd say the little switch is the safer bet :D

And as for the concept drawing Bod, it doesn't compare to seeing the real thing evolve :jawdrop: I've said it before, i know i'm nagging, but that's what bit-tech are paying me for: I hope to see more of the intricate panel detailing on all of bsg's panels!

20. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I wonder if you could squeeze one of these into the opto drive to detect cd presence?

Unless of course you can find (and tap into) the manufacturers one.

Tags: